Update:Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough, elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Jan 11, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

Re: Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough? elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patient

I have read Dr Burcon's claims. I have never known any treatment for anything to bear out statistically like he claims his do. (97.33%) That is a huge red flag to me.

I know of instances where chiropractic treatment has helped people where the md's couldn't. I do not dismiss chiropractors. I do dismiss Dr Burcon's blog as science.

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Re: Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough? elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patient

But June, just what do your expectations or experiences with "any treatment" have to do with what Dr. Burcon presented? Are you suggesting that because you "dismiss Dr. Burcon's blogs as science" other readers here should to?

This seems to tie right in to what Hank posted immediately above, that people reject, out of hand, without evidence---or even against evidence---new treatments that actually work. Hank described how some have, just as you have with Dr. Burcon's presentation, dismissed very positive results.

You are certainly welcome to your personal opinions on new treatments (and with 9820 posts, many have appeared). But perhaps it would be helpful for you to explain to new readers, in detail, the putative reasons the new treatments don't work, exactly why they are inadequate. What, exactly, is wrong with Dr. Burcon's treatment? Other than your summery dismissal of his treatment success numbers, what have been his errors? Why shouldn't new readers here give strong consideration to this "new treatment?"

On the basis of exactly the same criticisms I've endured with my Meniere's treatment regimen (for which I post a mere 87% success rate, not Dr. Burcon's 97% rate), I seldom even attempt to respond to postings claiming that my regimen "can't work," "doesn't work," or any other such comment. As with all three of us, Hank, Dr. Burcon, and myself, we know the positive results of the dozens upon dozens of people who have gotten legitimate relief from our respective "new treatments." For us, those are entirely adequate.

Again, everyone is free and encouraged to present evidence, even opinions here. But hard-number and hard-case evidence (at least we would think) should win out.

--John of Ohio

3. June-

June- New Member

no

To go further would constitute debate. My post would no doubt be deleted as it was the last time I commented.

4. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

John, when I first started advocating Acyclovir just a few short years ago, they wanted to burn me at the steak! "WITCHCRAFT"They said. Boy what a difference a day makes.

Just keep an open mind folks! Believe me there are other alternatives open to you rather then going under the knife...

5. June-

June- New Member

John, when many members of this forum come forward saying they have been cured by dr burcon as they have saying they have been cured by JOH then I will take a second look. In the mean time I do not think there is anything unfair about revealing the source of claims or mentioning the unlikely statistical outcome.

I can cut way down on the number of posts I make if I stop with the encouraging ones like 'good news' and 'happy birthday' if you feel they detract from my credibility.

6. June-

June- New Member

Just for the record, I was not among those as you well know.

7. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I agree with what June is saying and at the same time I have no argument with Larry, Hank, John or the others here who earnestly post on what they believe is helping their symptoms. I know June to be the voice of reason and appreciate her posts and her ability to research whatever info is given here as fact.

What I am always careful and skeptical about is people making claims who have, in one way or another, a financial or personal gain to be made from the cure they are promoting.

8. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Like some others, I've never injured my neck head or shoulders that I'm aware of. My uncle had this and my grandmother, perhaps I am the other % that would be so cool if more than 1/2 on here could be 'fixed' ...

9. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

June you have supported my beliefs in antivirals for as long as I can remember!

10. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Thank you Mr. Sullivan...now I can understand why Funshine avoided the issue. With your
    explanation it makes much more sense.

IFD

11. June-

June- New Member

Hank, I do not dismiss the treatment, I question the blog assertions and the statistics. I know the treatment worked for you. I don't know how many others it did work for or didn't work for. If you are referring to my post, please don't put words into my mouth and make a straw man out of me.

I have always accepted your report of your experience and hoped that those who might benefit as you did could find enough clues from your personal experience to self identify and self select. I do not think Burcon sounds credible or impartial. That is just my assessment not a comment on chiropractors in general. Others can and will google, read and make their own assessments.

12. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Are you 'a guy,' June? Maybe you are. But you do not purport to be. At least the person to whom I refer purports to be male.

13. June-

June- New Member

My mistake, I thought when you referred to a large number of people that it may have included some women and thus myself. I am glad to know you have no bone to pick with my post.

14. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

In the end, it really doesn't matter one little bit what we all think...what matters is if the
    treatments actually help someone. Even ONE Menarian that no longer has to suffer is enough
    to prove some validity to the treatment.

So please, all of you armchair MD's please quit beating each other over the head with an
    issue that can not be "solved".

Mike

15. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

[​IMG]

16. June-

June- New Member

Ifish, I agree, all that matters is what works and talk doesn't change the laws of physics. I do think though that since we are not doctors but have to choose treatments on our own and worry about matters of safety, as well as whether a treatment is likely to work that it is ok to scrutinize claims that are made.

I have not made any effort to say whether NUCCA may or may not help a person. I only point out that a claim made on a blog is not the same as a study and should be identified as such. I don't know what about that would offend anyone looking for a cure. I was looking for a long time and I was not offended by sourcing claims or observations. I found that information helpful. I am at a loss as to why that would be offensive to anyone.

17. Boomer Ann

Boomer Ann Even Baby-Boehner has nothing on me....

Wow it gets a little testy in here sometimes... :D

I don't know about the rest of you, seriously...but when I opened this topic this morning and saw the entry about Dr. Burcon's work, I started bawling like a baby. In fact it upset me so much I had to walk away...I couldn't read through my tears and sobs.

There may be a cure for me; maybe I won't be like this for the rest of my life!

I've ALWAYS known it was something in my neck, my head, whatever. Always. If anyone posts a message after me telling me to be cautious or be careful of the science or whatever, I'm going to tell you right now don't even go there. I do not want to hear your opinion. I am going to be investigating this on my own, thank you, but I know it's the direction for ME. I'm already on the JOH regimen (thank you John!) and I've noticed considerable improvement in brain fog...as in, much less of it, so I know that SOME THINGS WORK. And I'm willing to give this a try; what have I got to lose?

When I was 13, I was tossed off a horse, landed right on my tailbone. Bed for 3 weeks, couldn't move. 1.

At 23, a large grown man slapped me in the face SO HARD that he nearly broke my jaw; he hit me with his right PALM on my left TMJ joint so hard it hurt on my RIGHT side. 2.

At 40, 7 months pregnant with #5, I had a singular event that no doctor since has wanted to touch (because frankly, they don't know) and which has never, ever recurred: After my prenatal visit, I was loading the rest of the gang into our SUV when suddenly it felt I had been whacked from behind with an axe in the back of my neck (if you can imagine what that might feel like, that's what it felt like). My knees buckled and I nearly toppled, the pain was so intense, but I managed to hang onto my wits, tell my kids to stay locked in the car, and hobble back into the doctor's office (my hubby came and got them). My blood pressure was 200/120 and I was totally freaking out. They gave me a sedative. And pain medication (which didn't do a thing). That so-called 'migraine' lasted for almost three days; I was out...unfortunately, not knocked out, as nothing would touch this pain, just cloistered in my room for three days. When the pain finally subsided and I was able to sit up, the first thing I noticed was that my hearing in my left ear was different and it was ringing; I now had tinnitus, which I never had before (and things continued to go south with my hearing and vision after that). My doctor's diagnosis? "You must be a more nervous person than you thought." (Makes me want to laugh, but it's really not funny.) 3.

At 47, I was rear-ended; even my chiropractor at the time could not understand why parts of my neck and spine seemed so 'locked up' and unable to be repositioned. 4.

At 50...ok this is just a really stupid trick that no one should ever try...I was resting in bed, laying on my side, my head on the pillow. Very peaceful and quiet. My husband (now my ex) thought it would be a neat joke if he were to sneak up behind me and suddenly YANK the pillow out from under my head.... 5. And MOST LIKELY the final straw, as far as my cervical alignment is concerned.

(If you do not know what that might do, just picture it, ok? And then never do it to anyone.) (The man's an idiot; ergo, divorce)

At 54, while driving 65 on the fwy to work, I had my first episode of vertigo (not recommended). I had many more over the next several months and was finally diagnosed with Meniere's.

I'm now 60. For the past decade or so, I have been a full-time computer worker who noticed that regardless, regardless of my ergonomic positioning or ANYTHING, I would ALWAYS have pain that started in the back of my neck and radiated down into my right shoulder, arm, and back, at the end of each and every day. Sometimes the pain would start sooner in the day. And the pain NEVER entirely went away; I still have it now, but the intensity has diminished considerably since I quit working.

As I reflect on these events, it occurs to me that starting about 12, 13 years ago, doctors began prescribing medication after medication to treat all of the various and sundry pains and ills I seemed to be acquiring.

I quit my job September 2009 because I had to; I had so much brain fog I couldn't function well, which led to my getting all anxious and depressed, since I had just begun a new career, which translated into me being an emotional basket-case at work...which led to my supervisors and THEIR supervisors getting on my case all the time, making matters worse. (Try to imagine an adult professional woman who starts crying if you just look at her or ask her how she's doing, and you get the picture.) Furthermore, I was taking a whopping 13 different pharmaceutical drugs costing me about 5k per year to treat a bunch of crap that has MAINLY been due to ALL THIS FRAKKING PAIN IN MY NECK!

So... ;D

The week before Christmas I was sitting on the couch, surfing...I began to notice some weird electrical sensations in the back of my neck (not for the first time), a sort of percolating or burbling sensation that feels a little electrical too. I then made the mistake of simply standing up without investigating it further. I was immemdiately hit with vertigo and was down for about 5 or 6 hours. I hadn't had an attack of vertigo in a very long time.

What I should have done, and what I always NOW do, when I feel that sensation, is I bend my head down and relax the muscles back there. I then give myself a little massaging around the base of my skull, all along that soft tissue around the back between the ears. I'll do a little gentle neck stretching, tilting my head sideways one way then another. (Sometimes it feels like I'm also trying, ever so gently, to reposition things myself but I know I can't, not really....) This seems to relieve that percolating sensation. It seems to stop whatever odd sensations are going on. THEN I can stand up without having vertigo. But the terrorist's threat is always present.

This also tells me, once again, that for ME, Meniere's is related to my cervical alignment...it's outta whack for sure, I just know.

ANYONE KNOW OF A QUALIFIED CHIROPRACTOR IN THE WILLAMETTE VALLEY? I will be posting this request separately, but I just wanted to mention it here since it's so relevant.

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS INFO!! :)

18. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Hi Ann, If you want a NUCCA doctor who does the procedure talked about in this thread you could pm henrysullivan or contact Dr Burcon directly.

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Boomer, I would try this NUCCA clinic:

Dr. Gregory Koors
    Eugene Spinal Care
    2201 Willamette St
    Ste C
    Eugene, OR 97405
    Phone: 541-683-5678
    Fax: 541-343-7350
    Email: [email protected]
    Years In Practice: 11
    http://www.EugeneSpinalCare.com

You can also go to www.nucca.org and find at least one more in Eugene, and others elsewhere. Please let us know how it goes.

Hank

20. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Thanks Hank.