Type of person who has Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JLR39, Oct 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. JLR39

JLR39 New Member

This may be a curious question . . . but do you think a particular type of personality may be more inclined to have Meniere's? For example . . . do you think a high strung person may be more likely to have Meniere's as opposed to a low key person?

Obviously, some people can handle stress much better than others. I've heard it said that stress can cause or aggravate a Meniere's attack.

It's just a thought. :-\

Jacquie

2. good question - i'll be curious what the answers are that people give. I've always been a high strung person - worrying about everything!!! I always wondered if it hit people that drank a lot of alcohol and stuff like that too but i guess it varies all over the place.

chris

3. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I am not a high strung person at all. I am not an A type personality either.

I rarely get mad/angered but when I do watch out - but it extinguishes soon after it is ignited.

I drank alcohol from age sixteen to twenty. Now, rarely touch alcohol. Never smoked. Allergic to weed/pot. Did coke when I was nineteen/twenty - twice never touched it since 1984. I am not an addictive personality either.

I am dyslexic and have ADD. I don't gossip or indulge in listening to others speak ill about another. I eat pretty healthy - take vitamins and supplements along with pharm. medicine.

I spent the morning yesterday with the head of the ENT department at WASH U/STL. and we talked while he put in new tubes and he said their is evidence that MM is hereditary in some families. I am not going to argue this point nor expect others to either. If that being the case is true I am Irish/Scottish, Cherokee, French, and Italian.

4. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

I am a very relaxed person, rarely get mad and never get stressed out

5. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

I am a type A, have stress from work, get aggravated but don't get really mad alot. I don't remember anyone in my family ever complaining about fullness, dizzyness, vertigo or anything like MM. I don't drink, never really consumed much in the way of alcoholic beverages, smoked but quit in the 80's. I"ve had stress since being diagnosed, but it doesn't seem to affect symptoms at all.

6. acujen

acujen New Member

I read a study once that said MM hits type A personalities more often, so I was always curious about this question as well. Hereditary plays a big part, too, I believe. At least in my case. My father was diagnosed 20 years ago. Had the shunt surgery and never looked back. Recently learned that his father also had "spells" as it was called back then. On a side note, I also just read that African-Americans rarely, if ever, get MM. I find that very interesting. Why would this be the case?

7. June-

June- New Member

No, I think a person whose body gets run down and picks up a virus is the type to get Menieres.

I am totally not type A personality. I do think dealing with hearing loss, distortion and vertigo probably makes a person high strung and appear to be on a mission (type A) to find a solution. We'd be crazy if it didn't.

8. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I'm not high strung... if I have something to say I say it and move on

9. interesting thread. speaking of viruses i had mono at 17

sounds like so far we are all over the board with personalities.

10. daveTO

daveTO New Member

I was told I am laid back. But I think because I do things slow...especially now. I am an analytical person. I work in the computer industry. Have a tendency to analyst everything to death. Try to change that...try not to think so much.

11. wxmanmitch

wxmanmitch New Member

I tend to be a highly stress prone ultra type A personality, although I don't think it has much to do with having or not having the disease based on the responses I've seen in this post.

12. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

I think most of us are extremely intelligent and extraordinarily good looking.

13. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

I am high strung, worry needlessly about everything, also a high achiever. I have managed thus far to cope fairly well with colitis and fibromyalgia but trying to deal with this last menieres assault and deal with my dad's Alzheimer's is really more than I can handle. I have reached the breaking point.

14. CGR

CGR Guest

QFT

15. daveTO

daveTO New Member

Papajoe,

That beard puts you over the top. Trying to grow one...but all I get are wiskers. :D

16. highway

highway New Member

"This may be a curious question . . . but do you think a particular type of personality may be more inclined to have Meniere's? For example . . . do you think a high strung person may be more likely to have Meniere's as opposed to a low key person?"

no to both questions.

A.

17. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Hyper hyper hyper unless of couse I am unble to stand up! Physically fit always have been love the outdoors, am much happier doing something anything than laying aroud on the couch. Did lots of partying back in the day when I was living in Aspen but also stayed very active skiing, hiking, rafting etc. No family history of MM thank god for them!!

18. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Candida and Ulcerative Colitis
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19439813
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20203505
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19051694

19. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

Have Family history of hearing problems, but not meniere's. I am pretty level headed and easy to get along with. In my earlier years I had a lot of stress and also had a really bad case of Mono on my wedding day. Pretty sure that there are at least 5 different things that caused my meniere's. I am now left with all the damage. No vertigo, but all the other symptoms 24/7 Carole

20. vikx

vikx New Member

I'm pretty level headed, not stressed and able to cope. After the big ATTACK and months of the dizzies, I was beginning to wonder what was going on. Family history of ear problems and sea sickness but no MM.

Thing is, I broke my wrist at work in July; after surgery, the cast two weeks later put me in tremendous pain. (stupid nurse, we had to trim it ourselves) Anyway, I lived on Motrin 800 for two months. Arm healed. In September I had the horrific spin. ugh. Just the thought...

I suspect stress from the painful cast and all that Motrin played a part in my MM showing up when it did. I've had tinnitus all my life but the roaring and ear fullness were new. There is never any sure way to tell what "causes" MM.

And similar to Aladdin, I'm English, Irish, Scottish, Cherokee with a little Pennsylvania Dutch thrown in... VK