Turnips

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Max Stooge, Nov 17, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Yay? or Nay?

2. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

High in vitamin C. I love 'em raw, not so much cooked, they really stink while cooking. I've used them in a crock pot stew, but not very much at a time, just a small amount diced up.

3. June-

June- New Member

uhh, not so much

parsnips ?

4. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

This could be the "root" or "tuber" thread. Never have eaten parsnips June. What do they compare to? Do love, absolutely love radishes though. I could eat them by the basketful.

5. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

Try them roasted in the oven. They take on a completely different taste and they don't stink. Cut them into french fry size pieces, toss them in a small amount of olive oil, Mrs. Dash or salt and pepper. I also do them around a roast with onions and carrots and chunks of celery.

6. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

I'll have to try that Carrie, baked turnips. Hmm. Sounds like a winner.

7. June-

June- New Member

parsnips = big white carrot

If this is the root thread, my favorite root vegetable is beets. I like fresh ones boiled with butter. Yum! So sweet they make sugar out of them, can't beat that in a vegetable.

8. tm53

tm53 New Member

I'll give it a go. Up till now, um no.

9. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

June, I love beets also, any way, shape, or form. Especially pickled beets. Yum yummy.

10. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

beets are great, but they are really good...wait for it..... roasted! ;D

Seriously roasted vegetables, including broccoli and cauliflower are really good.

11. June-

June- New Member

I do like roasted broccoli and cauliflower. They are much sweeter and nutty that way and lose the stinky wallpaper paste presentation of boiled.

Of course, nothing beats roasted onions, soooo sweet.

You know, I am going to go get some cauliflower now that you have put the idea in my head!

12. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

What temperature do you set the oven at to roast vegetables, and what type of dish, etc? Really got me curious now.

13. June-

June- New Member

I would probably preheat and set at 350 or 375 and use any oven safe dish, could be a metal sheet pan, a roasting pan, a glass pyrex 9 x 13, a corning ware dish ...

I would put oil or non stick spray on bottom of pan and same drizzled over vegetable. Salt and pepper to taste and tolerance but it is good just plain imo. cook til fork tender.

I am talking about the onions, cauliflower and broccoli, cut up potatoes. I haven't roasted beets or turnips for a long time, someone else will have to talk about them.

14. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Thanks June, I'll give it a go before long. Roast veggies sound intriguing. By the way, I bought a jar of pickled beets today.