Turmeric Root: Another person sees their symptoms begin to vanish

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by earshurt, Dec 26, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

EH:
    have some fun, you can't save the world or cure mm, have a drink tonight and let it all go. You can only help youself. As long as you are healthy and happy, why worry about anything or anybody else.

If this is not something that interest you, start another thread, what the hell.

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

so you are analytical and like information. That is a good thing. Just know that we are bright people here who are invested in our wellness. If you present information without preaching it, instead of telling us what to do or telling us what we already know, then we can choose what might work for us, read what interests us. That is also a good thing.

3. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I came across some research the other day that said tumeric root actually makes
    mm symptoms worse.

4. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I never try to save the world. I started a thread. Thats it. Its only one little thread. I spend most of my day working on rental property lately on most days. When I get through I play around with this some.

I don't try to be mean to anyone. I just have a very analytical mind since I got sick and I don't get on the forum and engage in the fun and chat. I think its nice. I think its cool. I like to read it too. I just spend most of my free time reading things I enjoy. Obviously the way I write sound abrasive for some reason but it is not meant to be.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turmeric May Fight Multiple Sclerosis

Preliminary studies in mice suggest that curcumin, a compound found in the curry spice turmeric, may block the progression of multiple sclerosis. Researcher Dr. Chandramohan Natarajan of Vanderbilt University found that mice specially bred to develop an MS-like illness called experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) showed little or no signs of disease symptoms after being injected with curcumin, while animals without the treatment went on to severe paralysis. (EAE is an autoimmune condition used by researchers as a model for multiple sclerosis because it also results in the slow erosion of myelin.)

While theories abound, no clear understanding has yet emerged as to what causes or how to cure multiple sclerosis, an auto-immune disease in which the body's immune system attacks the protective myelin sheath surrounding nerve fibers in the brain and spine. Symptoms of multiple sclerosis include muscle weakness and stiffness, balance and coordination problems, numbness and vision disturbances.

Six hundred and eighty-eight studies, more than 400 of them published within the last four years, confirm curcumin's remarkable anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. Within the last year, interest curcumin's potential as a neuroprotective agent have been rising due to:

Epidemiological studies showing that in elderly Indian populations, among whose diet turmeric is a common spice, levels of neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's are very low.
    A November 2001 study conducted at the Department of Plastic Surgery/National Burns Centre, Singapore General Hospital that demonstrated curcumin has excellent potential as a wound healing agent.
    And also last November, a study in the Departments of Medicine and Neurology at the University of California, Los Angeles that reported curcumin appears to slow the progression of Alzheimer's in mice.

In this most recent study of curcumin's potential effects against multiple sclerosis, Dr. Natarajan and co-researcher Dr. John Bright gave injections of 50- and 100-microgram doses of curcumin, three times per week over a period of 30 days, to a group of mice bred to develop the experimental autoimmune disease EAE, and then watched the mice for signs of developing MS-like neurological impairment.

By day 15, those mice who had not received curcumin developed EAE to such an extent that they displayed complete paralysis of both hind limbs. In contrast, mice given the 50-microgram dose of the curcumin showed only minor symptoms, such as a temporarily stiff tail. And mice given the 100-microgram dose fared best of all; they appeared completely unimpaired throughout the 30 days of the study.

The doses of curcumin that protected the mice against the development of EAE were roughly equivalent in human terms to those found in a typical Indian diet. In Asian countries, such as India and China, where foods spiced with curcumin-containing spices like turmeric are common fare, reports of MS are extremely rare.

Just how curcumin might work to prevent demyelinization remains unclear, but Natarajan and Bright, the researchers at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, believe curcumin may interrupt the production of IL-12, a protein that plays a key role in the destruction of the myelin by signaling for the development of neural antigen-specific Th1 cells, immune cells that then launch an attack on the myelin sheath.

To learn more about this beneficial spice, including quick ideas for using turmeric in recipes, click turmeric.

Want some terrific recipes that feature the special flavoring of turmeric to include this spice more frequently as part of your healthy way of eating? For a list of the World's Healthiest Foods' Recipes containing turmeric, click on the Recipe Assistant, select "turmeric" from the healthy foods list, and click on the Submit button. A list containing links to all our recipes containing turmeric will appear immediately below.

References:

Natarajan C, Bright JJ. Paper presented at the Annual Experimental Biology 2002 Conference New Orleans, LA April 23, 2002.Natarajan C, Bright JJ. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonists inhibit experimental allergic encephalomyelitis by blocking IL-12 production, IL-12 signaling and Th1 differentiation. Genes Immun 2002 Apr;3(2):59-70. Kang BY, Chung SW, Chung W, Im S, Hwang SY, Kim TS. Inhibition of interleukin-12 production in lipopolysaccharide-activated macrophages by curcumin. Eur J Pharmacol 1999 Nov 19;384(2-3):191-5.Lim GP, Chu T, Yang F, Beech W, Frautschy SA, Cole GM. The curry spice curcumin reduces oxidative damage and amyloid pathology in an Alzheimer transgenic mouse. J Neurosci 2001 Nov 1;21(21):8370-7.Kang BY, Song YJ, Kim KM, Choe YK, Hwang SY, Kim TS. Curcumin inhibits Th1 cytokine profile in CD4+ T cells by suppressing interleukin-12 production in macrophages. Br J Pharmacol 1999 Sep;128(2):380-4.Phan TT, See P, Lee ST, Chan SY. Protective effects of curcumin against oxidative damage on skin cells in vitro: its implication for wound healing. J Trauma 2001 Nov;51(5):927-31.

5. earshurt

earshurt New Member

At the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Western Human Nutrition Research Center in Davis, Calif., research molecular biologist Daniel H. Hwang conducts studies to solve the complex puzzle of precisely how phytochemicals fight inflammation. His investigations with cells cultured in his laboratory have uncovered probable modes of action used by phytochemicals from red wine, green tea, garlic, curcumin and cinnamon.

Hwang's team has found, for example, that phytochemicals can interfere with the normal flow of certain chemical signals or messages sent to and from cells involved in chronic inflammation. The messages these cells send are in the form of proteins. In particular, his group is closely examining proteins known as TLRs (short for "Toll-Like Receptors") and NODs (an abbreviation for the tongue-twisting "nucleotide binding oligomerization domain containing proteins").

Their experiments show that certain phytochemicals can interfere with messages that, if unimpeded, could travel from TLRs and NODs, reaching and activating genes that can trigger an inflammatory response.

The studies suggest that different phytochemicals have different ways of interfering with these messages. For example, curcumin can undermine certain TLRs when a specific part of curcumin's chemical structure reacts with what are known as "sulfhydryl groups" in TLRs.

But resveratrol, found in red grapes, has a different set of targets. Hwang's experiments suggest that resveratrol interferes with molecules called "TBK1" and "RIP1." If unimpeded, these molecules would help convey signals to and from TLRs.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090419202029.htm

6. CGR

CGR Guest

We get it, dude. It's good shit. I'm taking it starting today. :D

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

All right already! Yay Turmeric, great stuff.

But if you use it for cooking, be aware that it stains countertops like crazy. Great for humans. Bad for countertops (unless you want yellow countertops. Which might look nice, actually.).

8. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I ate so much curry my fingertips came yellow and folks thought I was a big time smoker. True story. Sure.

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

It tastes kinda funny in ice cream.

10. earshurt

earshurt New Member

This thread was not active. I'm not even sure if it was on the front page or not. Tbone posted and got it kicked up here. I only responded to him. Of course the ridicule set in and now the thread still sits here. I posted some studies on inflammation so people would understand why "I" use it.

People tell me "earshurt you never give supporting information, you are just posting claims without evidence".

Ok I posted some finally. Now its "earshurt enough with the turmeric information".

So its a no win situation. That is why I don't take it personally. That is why I don't post more studies on it or start more threads. I try to stay out of other peoples threads the best I can. But people come to mine and say "no info, you lie" and then they say "ok we get it, you posted a study, stop it".

So I ignore it. What else can I do? I"m a nice guy. I go to the local nursing home and talk to old people sometimes. I do a lot of nice thing for people. But here I lose no matter what I do. So I just let it slide off my back. It's all I can do.

11. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

earshurt we are playing. It is good to play. Playing is wonderful medicine. Join in!

12. earshurt

earshurt New Member

gardenfish I am not trying to make you look bad. But maybe you don't realize that you do this so often? Please do not destroy my threads with this ok? I am asking you nicely. I try to be nice to people. I don't believe all the hostility is necessary. You just said you were "playing". Please look at your comments in this thread. You go from hostile to happy in two seconds flat. You do it in my threads. I am simply asking you nicely not to do so ok?

What are your sources? Where is the factual data?

I don't need you to look up anything for me. Nothing, zero.

This always trips me out gardenfish but obviously I never hold it against you bro. You know I don't. But consider this no win scenario you force me into ok?

I luv ya man. I really do.

13. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Intrepid you have been a ray of sunshine today. Thank you. I appreciate it.

14. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Sir , you see what you want to see and you ignore the rest it seems.

Best wishes to you.

15. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I remember when Henry Sullivan used to say this to Nassman.

Ah, the good ol' days....

16. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Well I hope it helps you CGR. I know it cannot help everybody. From the studies I posted that key on inflammation I hope its potential value may be apparent to some.

People who do not have chronic inflammation problems may not see as much relief as those who do. But for those with too much IL-12 activity this could be a blessing.

the researchers at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, believe curcumin may interrupt the production of IL-12, a protein that plays a key role in the destruction of the myelin by signaling for the development of neural antigen-specific Th1 cells, immune cells that then launch an attack on the myelin sheath.

For some of us, but not all of us, that sentence in bold is very important to keep our body from ripping our ears off.

Have a great day guys! I'm outta here for a while.

17. CGR

CGR Guest

EH, dont take things seriously. We're just piling on for fun now. :D

18. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Well, that makes me think of Pull-ups diapers...

19. CGR

CGR Guest

Damn, you have a real fixation about my ass dont you?

20. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Grace Jones, now there is a philosopher.