Turmeric Root: Another person sees their symptoms begin to vanish

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by earshurt, Dec 26, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

You know it is bad when they are giving birth control to 6th graders now. Hell I didn't even know I had d&&k in the 6th grade.

2. earshurt

earshurt New Member

gardenfish I did not write that. I also did not say vitamins will disappear. I said the same set of circumstances that happened with "herbs" in Europe will happen here within probably a couple of years. I also did not say "buy now". I simply said things will be changing so be aware of it. I'm also not the house research crew. I gave you some information about changes that are coming that I know about. You can look this stuff up yourself instead of accusing me "scare mongery". Sometimes it amazes me how quick people are to accuse others around here. We all have computers. We know how to use them. Instead of junking up this thread why don't you look? Or why don't you simply ask me and give me time to put the information here? There is no need for all this. It serves no purpose.

I also do not advocate that people stop taking their drugs. I take trazedone to sleep myself. If I could find an herb that did what trazedone could do I would use it. I can't find one that works as well as trazedone. If someone else thinks drugs are junk then its their opinion and all this back biting junks up good threads. Everybody has their own opinion. I do not agree that all drugs are useless. Please do not destroy this thread with that sort of flame war ok? It is not necessary.

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

jeez, my reply was to larrikin's post (see the quote). We KNOW things are changing. Much of what you say is bloody obvious.

On another note the sun is shining today. That is a good thing.

4. jesseandalison

jesseandalison New Member

The sun is good for us all now lets enjoy some!

5. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

6. earshurt

earshurt New Member

What are your sources? Where is the factual data? "Most likely" is another generalization and a scare tactic of which you have used frequently in your posts. You realize that all of the curries and many blended spices and herbs would be gone from the market? That is just silly. Why do you post this stuff? I think you are actually pushing some product. Your wild dispensing of nonsensical information is a harmful thing in my opinion. If you cannot truly help then pls stop with this inane posting. We don't need a self-appointed health expert egomaniac who does not express himself clearly and who has some sort of peculiar fixated agenda.
    Don't sent me any more PMs. thank you.

Gardenfish I am asking you nicely not to do that in my thread. If you have a minute to accuse people of this sort of nonsense then you also have a minute to

1. Look it up yourself. It is alllllllllllllllll over the internet.
    2. Ask me how I know.

Is it so hard to be civil? I mean is it? What will you do now when I waste my time finding it for you? Stop doing this in my threads? I hope so. I prefer you just look it up. Please do not destroy my thread because you won't look it up yourself ok?

7. earshurt

earshurt New Member

And by the way gardenfish. Why don't you tell people I gave you an article about immune disorder because you wanted to talk about immune disorder in another thread? I tried to be nice and I sent you an article. And someone accuses me of "fishing" around. You even sent me a nice reply and said something about immune disorder. Why do you do this gardenfish? Now you have people thinking I am spamming mailboxes trying to sell something. I sent you an article about immune disorder. That is all i did.

8. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I don't need you to look up anything for me. Nothing, zero. I did not ask your for information about immune disorders. You sent it unsolicited from me. Don't tell me what I have people thinking. Folks here are bright and think for themselves. Now go brush up on your Swedish. Adios.

9. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Here we go again:

time to start the morphine drip early tonight to knock myself out. How do I become a pharma
    rep again.

10. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I do not know. I know that substances can and do penetrate skin. I know that people put turmeric on sores or boils and they go away. I have no idea if it will penetrate deeply enough to do any good. I know I tried it one time years ago when I was desperate but i can't remember if it did anything or not. I had some steroid drops that I used to put in my ear before I started using turmeric and it penetrated enough to help a tiny little bit but it was not impressive to me. So i'm just not sure.

And I too try not to use any more drugs than I have to, but for the sake of peace in the house, could we tone down the anti drug stuff a little? It only causes problems usually. I realize you should be allowed to speak your mind without getting attacked but around here that is obviously not going to happen and I am trying to keep this thread from devolving into a war about this subject. Your support would be appreciated.

11. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I don't know. We would still be able to buy vitamins i'm sure. I don't know how many herbs will be pulled. I just know that things will change in a couple of years and that getting products in many cases won't be as easy.

I am not saying "buy now". I don't care if nobody ever buys an herb in their life. I simply said things will change and along with those changes our habits will have to change. All I said in relation to this "basically" is that Tbone should be considering how he will get his product because he lives in an area where some of these things are hard to get and apparently getting harder.

People can walk into a drug store and get a drug. People cannot walk into a drug store and buy any herb they want. After some get pulled from the shelf people will have to find new ways to get them. This is not scare mongery. I don't sell anything. I am just trying to provide basic information. Not it was not detailed down to the letter information. It was general information and that is all it was.

Turmeric is my lifeline. I "have to" think about these things. If I don't I may get caught in a situation where I cannot get what I need for months. I cannot afford to have that happen. I do not want it to happen to anyone else either. There is no agenda here other than to provide basic information what may happen down the road.

12. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

okay! - a clear and concise post. Good job. Thank you.

13. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Unlike steriods and NSAIDs, the anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin (turmeric) is not restricted to a single factor. Curcumin may also help underlying causes of inflammation. (2, 8)

Safe COX- and COX-2 Inhibitor

Research shows curcumin acts as a scavenger of nitric oxide and inhibits COX-2, a pro-inflammatory substance. Also a potent scavenger of superoxide, the anti-inflammatory activity and superoxide scavenging property of curcumin are proven correlated. Clinically, curcumin has worked as well as cortisone or phenylbutazone for rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and post-operative inflammation.

Curcumin also inhibits COXs better than indomethacin, a currently prescribed mixed COX inhibitor. (6, 7)
    A double-blind crossover study in patients with "definite" rheumatoid arthritis compared the antirheumatic activity of curcumin (1200 mg/day) with phenylbutazone, a corticosteroids drug (300 mg/day). The curcumin therapy resulted in "significant" improvements over corticosteroids.

Sources:

SOURCES:
    1. Balakrishnan, K.V., et al. "Postharvest Technology and Processing of Turmeric," Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles, edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    2. Bharat, B.A., et al. "Curcumin--Biological and Medicinal Properties,"
    Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles,
    edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    3. Goel A., et al. "Specific inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression by dietary curcumin in HT-29 human colon cancer cells," Cancer Lett.: 172(2), 111-1118, 2001.
    4. Zhang F., et al. "Curcumin inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 transcription in bile acid- and phorbol ester-treated human gastrointestinal epithelial cells," Carcinogenesis: 20(3), 445-51, 1999.
    5. Satoskar R.R., et al. "Evaluation of anti-inflammatory property of curcumin in patients with post-operative inflammation," Int. J. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. Toxicol.: 24(12), 651-4, 1986.
    6. Kulkarni, A.P., et al. "Curcumin Inhibits the Classical and the Alternate Pathways of Complement Activation," Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci.: 1056, 100-112, 2005.
    7. Kotwal, G.J., et al. Natural Products and Molecular Therapy, First International Conference, New York, NY: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 1056, 2005.
    8. Deodhar, S.D., et al., "Preliminary study on antirheumatic activity of curcumin," Indian J. Med. Res.: 71, 632-634, 1980.
    9. Liacini, S., et al., "Inhibition of interleukin-1-stimulated MAP kinases, activating protein-1 (AP-1) and nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kappaB) transcription factors down-regulates matrix metalloproteinase gene expression in articular chondrocytes," Matrix Biol.: 21(3), 251-262, 2002.
    10. Sarker, S.D., et al. "Bioactivity of Turmeric," Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles, edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    11. Cheng, A.L., et al. "Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemoprotective agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesions. Anti-cancer Res. 2001; July-Aug 21:2895-2900: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11712783?dopt=Abstract.
    12. Bharat, B.A., et al. "Curcumin--Biological and Medicinal Properties," Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles, edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    13. Anand, P., et al. "Bioavailability of Curcumin: Problems and Promises," Mol. Pharmaceutics: 2007, 4(6), pp. 807-818: www.pubs.acs.org/doi/~. (Cytokine Research Laboratory and Pharmaceutical Development Center, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas.)
    14. Benny, M., et al. Spice India: Vol. 19, No. 9, pp. 11-15, 2006.
    15. Antony, B., et al. "Evaluation of a novel bioenhanced curcumin," Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences: Jul-Aug, pp. 445-50, 2008.
    16. Majeed, M., et al. Curcuminoids: antioxidant nutrients. Piscataway, NJ: Nutriscience Pubs., Inc., 1995.
    17. Ammon, H.P.T., et al. "Mechanism of anti-inflammatory actions of curcumin and boswellic acids," J. Ethnopharamcology: 38, 113, 1993.
    18. Huang, M.T., et al. "Inhibitory effects of curcumin on in vitro lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase activities in mouse epidermis," Cancer Res.: 51, 813, 1991.
    19. Rao, C.V., et al. "Inhibition by dietary curcumin of azoxymethane-induced ornithine decarboxylase, tryrosine protein kinase, arachidonic acid metabolism and aberrant crypt foci formation in the rat colon, Carcinogenisis: 14, 2219, 1993.
    20. Rao, C.V., et al. "Antioxidant activity of curcumin and related compounds. Lipid peroxide formation in experimental inflammation, " Cancer Res.: 55, 259, 1993.
    21. Srivastava, V., et al. "Effect of curcumin on platelet aggregation and vascular prostacyclin synthesis," Arzneim.-Forsch./Drug Res.: 36, 715, 1992.

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

EH, you would do a lot better here if you would just post like you have here in this post. A little humility and respect for your fellow posters goes a long way.

It is fine if you don't know something, in fact it is human, it makes for a lot better conversation if you talk to us instead of talking at us. It is better not to post anything and ask the group for information rather than to post information in an authoritive manner that is not correct. Also keep to posting information that is relative to our situation here and keep them a little shorter because many here have trouble reading long posts.

As has been pointed out, it is a very smart and diverse group here who also do a lot of research. Working with the group will bring benefit to you in the end.

15. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Another published study found curcumin substantially suppresses systemic inflammation markers MMP-3 by 48% to 99%, and MMP-13 by 45% to 97%. Researchers concluded curcumin could be useful for reducing cartilage degradation (resorption by MMPs) in arthritis.

SOURCES:
    1. Balakrishnan, K.V., et al. "Postharvest Technology and Processing of Turmeric," Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles, edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    2. Bharat, B.A., et al. "Curcumin--Biological and Medicinal Properties,"
    Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles,
    edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    3. Goel A., et al. "Specific inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression by dietary curcumin in HT-29 human colon cancer cells," Cancer Lett.: 172(2), 111-1118, 2001.
    4. Zhang F., et al. "Curcumin inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 transcription in bile acid- and phorbol ester-treated human gastrointestinal epithelial cells," Carcinogenesis: 20(3), 445-51, 1999.
    5. Satoskar R.R., et al. "Evaluation of anti-inflammatory property of curcumin in patients with post-operative inflammation," Int. J. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. Toxicol.: 24(12), 651-4, 1986.
    6. Kulkarni, A.P., et al. "Curcumin Inhibits the Classical and the Alternate Pathways of Complement Activation," Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci.: 1056, 100-112, 2005.
    7. Kotwal, G.J., et al. Natural Products and Molecular Therapy, First International Conference, New York, NY: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 1056, 2005.
    8. Deodhar, S.D., et al., "Preliminary study on antirheumatic activity of curcumin," Indian J. Med. Res.: 71, 632-634, 1980.
    9. Liacini, S., et al., "Inhibition of interleukin-1-stimulated MAP kinases, activating protein-1 (AP-1) and nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kappaB) transcription factors down-regulates matrix metalloproteinase gene expression in articular chondrocytes," Matrix Biol.: 21(3), 251-262, 2002.
    10. Sarker, S.D., et al. "Bioactivity of Turmeric," Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles, edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    11. Cheng, A.L., et al. "Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemoprotective agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesions. Anti-cancer Res. 2001; July-Aug 21:2895-2900: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11712783?dopt=Abstract.
    12. Bharat, B.A., et al. "Curcumin--Biological and Medicinal Properties," Turmeric: The genus Curcuma; Medicinal and aromatic plants--industrial profiles, edited by Ravindran, P.N., et al. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2007.
    13. Anand, P., et al. "Bioavailability of Curcumin: Problems and Promises," Mol. Pharmaceutics: 2007, 4(6), pp. 807-818: www.pubs.acs.org/doi/~. (Cytokine Research Laboratory and Pharmaceutical Development Center, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas.)
    14. Benny, M., et al. Spice India: Vol. 19, No. 9, pp. 11-15, 2006.
    15. Antony, B., et al. "Evaluation of a novel bioenhanced curcumin," Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences: Jul-Aug, pp. 445-50, 2008.
    16. Majeed, M., et al. Curcuminoids: antioxidant nutrients. Piscataway, NJ: Nutriscience Pubs., Inc., 1995.
    17. Ammon, H.P.T., et al. "Mechanism of anti-inflammatory actions of curcumin and boswellic acids," J. Ethnopharamcology: 38, 113, 1993.
    18. Huang, M.T., et al. "Inhibitory effects of curcumin on in vitro lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase activities in mouse epidermis," Cancer Res.: 51, 813, 1991.
    19. Rao, C.V., et al. "Inhibition by dietary curcumin of azoxymethane-induced ornithine decarboxylase, tryrosine protein kinase, arachidonic acid metabolism and aberrant crypt foci formation in the rat colon, Carcinogenisis: 14, 2219, 1993.
    20. Rao, C.V., et al. "Antioxidant activity of curcumin and related compounds. Lipid peroxide formation in experimental inflammation, " Cancer Res.: 55, 259, 1993.
    21. Srivastava, V., et al. "Effect of curcumin on platelet aggregation and vascular prostacyclin synthesis," Arzneim.-Forsch./Drug Res.: 36, 715, 1992.

16. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

enuf with the turmeric. We know it is great stuff. We really do. :)

So earshurt, what do you like to do for play, hobbies, that sort of thing?

17. CGR

CGR Guest

I think hes starting to realize that this board is not full of fools.

18. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

We are too busy investing in wellness to engage in foolishness.

I tried to save the world once, in fact I took two days not one. Then I went back to my simple live where all is good in the end.

19. earshurt

earshurt New Member

You know those geeks with pencil protectors in their pockets? That is sort of how I am. I can't help it. I don't mean to talk "at" people.

20. earshurt

earshurt New Member

3 Reasons to Eat Turmeric

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a culinary spice that spans cultures - it is a major ingredient in Indian curries, and makes American mustard yellow. But evidence is accumulating that this brightly colored relative of ginger is a promising disease-preventive agent as well, probably due largely to its anti-inflammatory action.

One of the most comprehensive summaries of turmeric studies to date was published by the respected ethnobotanist James A. Duke, Phd., in the October, 2007 issue of Alternative & Complementary Therapies, and summarized in the July, 2008, issue of the American Botanical Council publication HerbClip.

Reviewing some 700 studies, Duke concluded that turmeric appears to outperform many pharmaceuticals in its effects against several chronic, debilitating diseases, and does so with virtually no adverse side effects. Here are some of the diseases that turmeric has been found to help prevent or alleviate:

Alzheimer's disease: Duke found more than 50 studies on turmeric's effects in addressing Alzheimer's disease. The reports indicate that extracts of turmeric contain a number of natural agents that block the formation of beta-amyloid, the substance responsible for the plaques that slowly obstruct cerebral function in Alzheimer's disease.

Arthritis: Turmeric contains more than two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds, including sixdifferent COX-2-inhibitors (the COX-2 enzyme promotes pain, swelling and inflammation; inhibitors selectively block that enzyme). By itself, writes Duke, curcumin - the component in turmeric most often cited for its healthful effects - is a multifaceted anti-inflammatory agent, and studies of the efficacy of curcumin have demonstrated positive changes in arthritic symptoms.

Cancer: Duke found more than 200 citations for turmeric and cancer and more than 700 for curcumin and cancer. He noted that in the handbook Phytochemicals: Mechanisms of Action, curcumin and/or turmeric were effective in animal models in prevention and/or treatment of colon cancer, mammary cancer, prostate cancer, murine hepatocarcinogenesis (liver cancer in rats), esophageal cancer, and oral cancer. Duke said that the effectiveness of the herb against these cancers compared favorably with that reported for pharmaceuticals.

How can you get more turmeric into your diet? One way is via turmeric tea. There are also extracts in tablet and capsule form available in health food stores; look for supercritical extracts in dosages of 400 to 600 mg, and take three times daily or as directed on the product.

And, of course, one can simply indulge in more curried dishes, either in restaurants or at home. However you do it, adding turmeric to your diet is one of the best moves toward optimal health you can make.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03001/Three-Reasons-to-Eat-Turmeric.html