Turkey/Chicken

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Intrepid, Jun 17, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I need some interesting, non-complicated ways of cooking ground turkey and chicken breast.

2. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

non complicated is in the eye of the beholder.

This is really good

Tuscan Turkey Soup

Ingredients
    2 tsp (10 mL) Oil
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 carrot, chopped
    Half green pepper, chopped
    1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
    1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
    3 cups (750 mL) turkey or chicken stock
    2 cups (500 mL) homemade or store-bought tomato sauce
    2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
    1 batch cooked turkey meatballs
    1 cup (250 mL) dried egg noodles
    ΒΌ cup (60 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Chopped Italian Parsley (optional)

Directions
    In soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook, onion, garlic, carrot, pepper, oregano and paprika for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add stock, tomato sauce and pasta; bring to the boil. Add meatballs and egg noodles and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through and pasta is tender but firm. Sprinkle each bowl with cheese and garnish with parsley if desired.

Tip
    If using frozen meatballs be sure to simmer them for about 20 minutes to make sure they are fully thawed and warmed through.

3. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Sounds yummy, I printed it, will try it soon! Thanx!

4. Titus

Titus New Member

I buy Taco seasoning from health food store and make turkey tacos. Since I'm off grains and dairy, I'll just use salsa and avacado and wrap them in lettuce leaf......but when I was on dairy, I used Greek yogurt and feta cheese with traditional taco shells. MMMmmmmmm

5. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Combine meats
    Add seasoning such as lemon/pepper or garlic and parsley
    Make into patties
    Cook on grill, George foreman Grill (great machine)
    Or fry on stove with just a touch of olive oil

Sides
    Sweet potato fries
    Salad
    Corn on the cob

6. chrisk

chrisk New Member

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Lentils and Chicken

INGREDIENTS:

2 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1-oz pieces
    2 tsp curry powder
    1 1/2 cups dry green lentils, rinsed
    1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

PANTRY STAPLES:

Pinch each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

INSTRUCTIONS:

Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add curry powder and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add lentils to saucepan and stir to coat. Stir in broth and 3 cups cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender and most liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Divide evenly among serving bowls, season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish each with yogurt and 2 tbsp cilantro. (NOTE: if lentils are still hard after 30 minutes, add 1/2 cup more water and continue to cook until softened.)

Nutrients per serving (3 oz chicken and 1 cup lentils): Calories: 389, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 45 g, Fiber: 11 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 42 g, Sodium: 139 mg, Cholesterol: 49 mg

8. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Wow!

9. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

This will probably sound like a stupid question,but here goes..what are lentils like..taste and texture wise? As a Southener, they are not usually included in the produce aisles of most of our grocery stores. I assume it's because they don't grow here as readily as farther north (or south,I guess). Otherwise, we generally grow just about anything to decrease our grocery bills. I have seen them in larger cities in the south, in large food chains,but have been leery of trying them.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Bryn..lentils are delicious! Think fresh black beans (after you cook them) to get an idea of the texture. I use red, brown and green lentils a lot. We make soups, Indian-style daal, or heartier dishes like chicken and lentils. I love them just boiled and thrown in salads too.

I have a pressure cooker at home which reduces the cooking time greatly. Some lentils (like the red ones) cook very quickly, others take more time (about 40 minutes on the stove top).

11. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

Thanks, I'll try them next time I see them..I'm trying to branch out!