Trivia again

Discussion in 'Your Fun 'n Games Room' started by jim1884again, Oct 23, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. wlyeager

wlyeager Fly fishing is good for the soul

Right you are. Next question?

2. mundo1988

mundo1988 Dancing is a way of Life

Right you are too. Next question? Food related.

The watermelon is green on the outside, red in the inside with a white rind in between.
    What other inside colour does the watermelon fruit come in?

3. I think I've seen yellow.

4. mundo1988

I think you saw correctly. I saw the same.

5. Ah, next question would be mine then (sorry, this dropped to page two!).

A four parter: what US state has A) the lowest low point (elevation above sea level), B) the highest low point, C) the highest high point, and D) the lowest high point?

6. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

A: California
    B: Colorado
    C: Alaska
    D: Florida (it is not New Jersey)

am I correct? the only one I am not positive about is Colorado that is a guess between Colorado and Wyoming

7. mundo1988

A - Louisiana (because of the flooding of New Orleans)
    B - Wyoming (because someone else took Colorado)
    C - Alaska (because I know she's right)
    D - Florida (because I'm not really an American, so I won't know any better)

8. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Good guesses Mundo, but I think tumbleweed is right. Is she Steve?

A - Death Valley, California 282' below sea level
    B - Colorado - Arkansas River is 3,315'
    C - Alaska - Denali 20,320' highest point in North America
    D - Florida - 345' is lower than Louisiana's high point

9. mundo1988

Come on Steve, don't tell me I'm dumber than a tumbleweed!
    When determining the answer, kindly place mine on a bell curve to determine how smart I would have been if I was an American.

Sherry! I thought we were friends!

10. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

I'm not dumb though Ray...so that would make you kind of smart..kind of!

11. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Just because we are friends doesn't always make you right! ;D ;D

12. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Since I must be right although Steve never got back to this thread...next question.
    What are the 4 largest suspension bridges in the US and where are they located?

13. I think you were right, Joanne. Louisiana was not a bad guess, Mundo, because parts of New Orleans are under sea level--but large swaths of inland California are a lot lower--Death valley and the Imperial Valley. One of the lowest airports in the US (if not the lowest) is Calipatria airport, and your aircraft altimeter will read 99,800 something feet (it's an analog dial with a range of 0-99999, so going below zero wraps you around to the 99,000s).

Colorado does have the highest low point *but* it's not the Arkansas river. Someone noticed that where the Arikaree river leaves Colorado (it flows through Kansastan then into Nebraska, joining the Republican river), it is actually slightly lower--the number is given as 3315 feet. (Which is the number Sherry has, so she got the right number but the wrong river...not that it matters.)

Almost down in the swamplands!

Alaska beats Colorado for highest point in the US. For that matter, so does California.

There are two states with a lower high point than Louisiana. Florida and Delaware.

OKAY, now to give a partial answer to the next question, off the top of my head: Bay Bridge, Verazzano Narrows, and whatever they named the bridge over the Straits of Mackinack in Michigan. (I'll feel pretty good if even two of those are right.)

14. On looking it up, I discovered that "largest suspension bridge" could mean a couple of different things. Is it by length of center span or overall suspended length?

15. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

length of center span

you got two right :)

16. Yeah--looked it up and was surprised at what was on there.

17. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Some of the ones right by me, at least three of them are, but not the longest of course. You are in charge of the game, since you know the answer, while I am away. Heading toward the real swamplands of New Jersey to that high priced piece of real estate tomorrow for vacation.

18. mundo1988

Have a good vacation Feelbizzare. Now Steve, a question not central to the United States would be a refreshing change! I want to feel smart again.

19. Yeah, but Ms Tumbleweed's question is still out there.

20. mundo1988

1. Verrazano-Narrows Lower New York Bay - 4,260 feet completed in 1964
    2. Golden Gate San Francisco Bay - 4,200 feet completed in 1937
    3. Mackinac Mackinac Straits, Mich. - 3,800 feet completed in 1957
    4. George Washington Hudson River at New York City - 3,500 feet completed in 1931

But Ms Feelweed's not around to tell whether I googled it correctly or not