Transpositions, words out of context, spelling and grammar errors?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jun 25, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. tm53

tm53 New Member

Transpose letters all the time anymore. Seems like spell check is always off too, didn't used to be that way at all.

2. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

There are many words that I will habitually transpose letters in: have (ahve), that (atht) would (wold),
    etc. I am still an excellent speller, but spell-check is a close friend.. ;D

There does seem to be a global conspiracy to remove all punctuation and capital letters from written
    communication. If only people would come to understand how important both capital letters and
    punctuation really are, as without either the meaning or intent of sentences can change radically. For
    example, imagine that as a youngster you lived on a ranch, and your mother left you a note telling you:

"When he gets back, be sure and help your Uncle Jack off that horse"

or

"when he gets back be sure to help your uncle jack.. "

Without punctuation or capital letters you wouldn't know how to respond to your Mom.

It would be either "Sure Mom, on my way" or "No thanks Mom...he can do it his
    own damn self". [​IMG]

Mike

3. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I do, sometimes. And this carries over because I will also believe other people feel that way too. (Regardless of it it's actually true.)

If someone asks me a direct question, one that needs an answer right now, I freeze. Now, once I walk away and I'm alone, with no pressure, the answer comes. But I have a very difficult time pulling things out of my head at a moments notice. (Especially facts,figures,dates, etc.) Actually, moments like these cause alot of stress in my head and will fluster me to where I will feel overwhelmed.

I've often compared my brain to a slot machine when it comes to names and faces. Names on one side, faces on the other and I pull the trigger and hope that they both match when it's said and done.

I've also compared it to a file cabinet. If I have a piece of information in my head and then someone tries to introduce a new piece of information before I use the first one ... I will loose the first one. Ok, example ... I was practicing a new song with the pianist. I ran across a bar I didn't quite understand how to sing (rhythm/phrasing)

Once that was in my head, I needed to repeat it, just that part until I got it. But the pianist kept introducing this other part she noticed I was singing wrong. I understood I needed to get that too, but I was already stuck on the other and wasn't going to be able to move on till I got that. But introducing the other was resulting in me not being able to grasp either.

Kind of like, you get a phone number from 411, but you have to run across the room to write it down so you have it at the front of your head. But then someone comes in and gives you another piece of information or number and now that information has pushed back the second and now you've lost the first number.

That is what I have trouble with the most.

I am finding that I often loose words. I spent five minutes and even googled trying to find the word "crouton." I kept thinking, little pieces of toast ... oiled with herbs ...

I have even noticed that I have trouble remembering names of characters on the shows I watch religiously. For me, that's odd considering that I am the one who sits at the movie and says ... "oh yea, that's so and so, and he was in such and such with so and so who was in this T.V. show with the same director/producer who is ..."

Oddly enough, I remember most conversations. I am the one who can reenact it almost word for word.

The only things I see myself flipping around are words like felt/left ...and there are others, but as usual, I'm drawing a blank ... lol.

A typical day where I'm about to go out. Where's the keys .. ok, there are the keys, but where's the debit card? (Set the keys down) Scour the apt for 15 minutes till I find the debit card which is in the pants I wore two days ago. Awesome, found the debit card! Where's the keys? (This can go on with multiple objects until I finally have everything and get to leave the apt.)

When I first read the description of INFP ( Meyers-Briggs), which is what the results normally show, I related very strongly to INFP's being dreamers.

My mind can slip off into another place so easily. I've given up trying to act like I heard someone when I didn't. What I mean is that if someone is talking to me for a length of time, my mind will often just zone out. Then I realize it and I snap back, but now the person is looking for a response. I just honestly apologize and explain .. I'm so sorry, but I zoned out and didn't really hear what you were saying. Friends will usually just repeat and then I'll respond.

This happens most often when it's conversation dealing with facts/figures/or some practical/statistical or mundane thing. If it's a conversation that engages imagination and about the abstract I'm more apt to follow it. But that might just be a personality trait.

4. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I had to write out a check for $72.42 a few weeks ago for a traffic violation. A couple of weeks later I received a letter from the Mayor's Court (along with the check I had written) asking me to please send a new check with the correct amount of the violation.

Turns out the violation code on the citation was code 72.42 and the amount of the ticket was $100.00. When I had looked at it apparently I confused the two columns but I could have sworn I read it right. I did kind of think that $72.42 was an odd amount for a ticket. :D

You should see my checkbook register....it has more white-outs than the North Pole. ;D

5. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Yes, I do type that way soemtimes. For instance, I kept in sometimes the way I acyually typed it. I'm not a perfect typist, I just go back and fix it, and the red underline does help.

Lately though, I'm finding that I am just missing the keys altogether ... hitting three keys over to the left or right putting letters in words that aren't even there. Weird. It's not that way if I hand-write it though.

6. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Yea, I've tried to charge people $411 for bananas because I hit the wrong button after typing in the code. I gave up checkbooks after I started online banking.

7. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Mike :D :D :D I can't stop laughing about Uncle Jack. :D :D :D

8. Titus

Titus New Member

June, it isn't. A transposition will be divisible by 9.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

It isn't. Dividing by nine is just one way you can check for a transposition. There aren't certain numbers that are easier to transpose than others.

10. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

On the number 9...... makes me think of The Beatles, number9, number 9, number 9. Back to it. Here's a link that sort of explains the number 9 thing in bookkeeping. Common accounting errors, which can apply to balancing your checkbook also: http://www.essortment.com/accounting-finding-errors-24198.html As Titus said, using 9 to check bookkeeping errors is just one way to check errors.

Titus would know better than I, and I hope she corrects me, but I believe most of the computer math riddles, games, etc. are based on the quirky number 9. You know, the ones that always know which number, or square, or circle you picked? And, I may be full of s*** too!

11. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I tried talking to my ENT about it once. I told him that I would say stuff like a flock of papers instead of a stack of papers, ect..

His reply was, "So, there is nothing wrong with that".

Really, Really so if someone came into your office and you pointed at their ear and said "OK lets take a look at that can,,um, I Mean ahh, the thing you hear with ,,hear,, ear! Lets take a look at that ear.

Do you really think that, that is an acceptable way of communicating? I have known this guy a long time and it was the first time I pissed him off. But I think he got my point..

12. June-

June- New Member

Oh that makes sense. I misinterpreted.

13. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

14. Titus

Titus New Member

The difference divisible by nine is correct. You always take the difference and divide by 9.

15. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Somedays I just can't stop myself from making a bit of lemonaide. Sorry...[​IMG]

Mike

16. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

yea I get confused alot now too. Its weird because I have a really high IQ and those that know me look at me like Im crazy when I say or do something silly and say "But I thought you were a genius!!"
    uh huh, I thought I was too, but really the IQ isnt measuring cognitive abilities anyhow, but trying to explain that test thingie to everyone that smirks at my stumbling and bumbling is kinda stupid or some word that means the same....
    So I use words like "thingie" "whatchamacallit" and "that little do-dad over there" to describe what has managed to escape me.
    * Sigh *
    Sure dont help me sound much like I know anything though when Im having a brain fog day. What I hate is missing turns, and forgetting really basic things like shutting the fridge door and turning the oven off.

17. gert157

gert157 New Member

Oh Lulu!!
    What a funny story!! (besides getting the citation of course) sorry that happened to you... That sounds exactly like something I would do!! A ticket for $72.42 that is kind of an odd number for a ticket!! You're too funny..... I laughed out loud after reading what had happened to you.. Hope you got it all straightened out........

We are due for a letter to one another to catch up!! I miss you!!
    I will write soon.....
    Take care, Leanne

18. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

Rhemajoy:
    "If someone asks me a direct question, one that needs an answer right now, I freeze. Now, once I walk away and I'm alone, with no pressure, the answer comes. But I have a very difficult time pulling things out of my head at a moments notice. (Especially facts,figures,dates, etc.) Actually, moments like these cause alot of stress in my head and will fluster me to where I will feel overwhelmed."

Thank you for putting into words what I have not been able to express. Brilliant!

19. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Hence the reason I cannot play along with Jeopardy. Even if I know I know the answer, it will not come to me. Something about the pressure. But I have always been that way. I can't blame it on MM. :(

20. Frustrated

Frustrated New Member

I was so bothered with it that I asked the Neurologist about it. He said that as long as I KNEW I wasn't coming up with the right word then I was ok. I still don't understand that but he doesn't seem to think there is a problem. But feel stupid, definitely. When you are standing there talking to someone and tell them that they have a beautiful car on this morning--stupid is the number one word that DOES come to mind.