To all

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by jackson, Aug 21, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

H-m-m-m-m!! What's the "other thing"??

That is great that you don't have Meniere's - so what was/is wrong with you?? ;D

2. america57

america57 New Member

George, I was just having fantasies about "your other thing"....no? ok, I'll be good...Joy, you crack me up! I think she must be gone, I think we will have to spend the rest of our lives wondering what was really wrong with her and what our other thing was....sigh...such are the mysteries of life!

3. joy

joy New Member

WOOOOOOOOe is us...

RE George's 'other thing' ... hmmm ... let's expand on that, dear ... hahahaha!!!

4. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

This is kind of like the end of The Soprano's.

Piggy

5. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

My "other thing"....heck, what thing? I said I wanted my libido to be like when I was 17...ain't gonna happen.

Enjoy the Labo(u)r Day Weekend

George

6. Daize

Daize New Member

??? ??? :mad: Jackson --- not kind of you to post this.

Hey George :) :) :) love your reply and regarding thing ha ha ha....mine is definetly not of 17 yr old,...
    :D :D :D

George --- Have a great Labor day weekend.

7. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

Michelle (AKA Jackson) is profoundly deaf.

Many people who are deaf since birth use ASL (American Sign Language) which uses a different syntax and when reading, appears as a second language.

I am assuming she was offering to help others cope with living with hearing loss.

Shame on you guys for poking fun. :( :( :( :(

Please think of others before you attack.

8. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Andrea, that is really good to know. Is there a way we can learn to translate into the syntax with which we are familiar?

9. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Sorry I was not aware...[​IMG]

10. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

There really isn't a direct translation. I have attached a link that sort of explains general syntax.

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/syntax.htm

One thing to remember is that deaf people take things very literally- some of the expressions that are commonly used in English either have no translation or could be misinterpreted as deeply offensive.

To make sure that your messages are understood they should be short and simple- don't try to change the syntax yourself. There is quite a variation in levels of reading and writing abilities amongst the deaf. You have to just kind of take your cues and write accordingly.

Thanks for listening- I sure hope Jackson comes back to our site- I am sure that she has a lot to offer to people coping with hearing loss.

11. nassman

nassman Guest

I kept my mouth shut on purpose because, I swear, I had a feeling that this person either had english as a second (or third) language, or had other issues which made her message not very comprehensible.

Bottom line is that she has now been driven away and we will never know what she had to offer in terms of has helped her.

What a shame....

12. joy

joy New Member

I agree with what Burd said earlier...
    RE Andrea1962 "Shame on you guys for poking fun" - Yeah, I suppose I was trying to be funny - the crack about her dog and all - but I certainly wasn't personally attacking her. I'm not trying to start a fight here or anything, but I didn't see all that much attacking going on...maybe a few people were a little angry about feeling as though a cure for their suffering was being dangled like a carrot in front of them.

Michelle started this post, implying she knew something that would help us. I think we were all just really anxious to hear what it was. I very much wish she'd come back and tell us what's going on. If she does, I will personally and most sincerely apologize for any offense or insult I may have communicated to her.

13. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Thanks for the explanation Andrea - what you said makes a lot of sense, it sure seemed like english was her second language.

There's something that still has me stumped here though - according to her profile, she has not been active on this site since the moment she posted this message. I don't think she could have been offended then since she has not been around since even the first reply to her message (at least I sure hope she's not offended).

I hope she comes back and enlightens us a little more.

Amethyst

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Thanks for the explanation, Andrea. I do not know how I would have responded to this thread if I had not read your post.

I think it points out how careful we must all be with our words when we respond to newbies. It takes a while to get to know posters, to find out how they communicate, and how best to provide support for them. I always give people the benefit of the doubt and refrain, as much as possible, from being judgmental. I leave that to the gods.

One possible way out of this awkward situation is for people, who feel that they may have slighted Michelle, to send PM's to her to try to patch up any harm that they may have done.

Michelle, I welcome you to the Meniere's forum and hope you continue to post. I think a lesson has been learned.

Joe

15. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

That's all fine and good but how were we to know that? I certainly had no clue...all I saw was a barely comprehensible message that had arrogant overtones. I reacted to the arrogance with some humour. Never intend to offend anyone - not on this board or anywhere else but all I can do is react to the written word unless advised otherwise.

George

16. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

Group Hug ((()))

Piggy

17. jackson

jackson My dog's belly

Look all, I don't want be sad or mad but my gammar is bad. My ear is attack me again, this time no joking.

18. jackson

jackson My dog's belly

I am SO Sorry about all of those message...:-( I am go to crying now because I am ashmed what I done here.

19. jackson

jackson My dog's belly

No more joking here. I promise and my ear attack me again. :'( :-[ :( :mad:

20. jackson

jackson My dog's belly

I hope you forgive me :'(