Tinnitus Question?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Oct 13, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Why is it my Tinnitus is much worse in the mornings and seems to gradually get better by mid day?

In the mornings I can hardly hear out of eighter ear.............. ???

2. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

good question, my tinnitus is usually worse as the day
    progresses.

3. cheese

cheese New Member

This might be your explanation.

"Careful evaluation of the patient over the next few months reveals that a new set of problems has developed. The hearing now rarely improves. Audiometry usually shows poorer discrimination and a flat to high tone loss. The patient now feels dizzy in bending over or straining. He often notices that on arising in the morning he feels unsteady and that the hearing in the ear is poor (usually only noted when hearing in the other ear is already gone). The unsteadiness and hearing improve during the day.

We can explain these symptoms by pointing out that bending over increases the pressure of the perilymph in the scala tympani. This is not equalized all around the membranous labyrinth and results in a pressure wave through to the vestibular epithelium with the resultant feeling of dizziness. When the patient gets up in the morning, the perilymphatic pressure in the scala tympani falls. During the day, endolymph is gradually reabsorbed so that as pressures equalize, hearing and balance improve. At night when the patient lies down, the perilymphatic pressure rises and a new adjustment occurs during sleep. The next morning the course of events is repeated."

its a couple of paragraphs taken from this article http://www.actaorl.com.br/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=7 by Dr William House. Its a really great read.

4. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Thank you very much............that fits my situation to a "T"