Thread Nuked. It is not that important to me.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by earshurt, Dec 28, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Re: Corporations Using Junk Science To Discredit Competitive Natural Therapy

Yep the best question of the day.

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

saying it again.

3. earshurt

earshurt New Member

This was a bad idea from the start. I'm killing this thread. It doesn't mean this much to me.

4. earshurt

earshurt New Member

This was a bad idea from the start. I'm killing this thread. It doesn't mean this much to me.

5. earshurt

earshurt New Member

6. earshurt

earshurt New Member

7. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Not that this is going to matter to you, because you have no interest in hearing anything but your own opinions. But I'm glad you re-posted this so people can see exactly why it is that while you may have access to all sorts of "data," it does no good when you are unable to comprehend what the hell it means. And I have to laugh my rear end off now because you have changed your spin from saying the FDA makes it illegal to use vitamins or supplements to cure and/or treat a disease, because you know that statement was a complete falsehood. Now, you're claiming that doctors simply can't tell people that vitamins or supplements will cure them. ENORMOUS difference in the two statements, and though the latter is somewhat closer to the truth, it is still not entirely accurate.

Now, for folks who actually do wonder what the truth is and why it's being misrepresented by you, I will address that here. Not to over-simplify it too much, but the FDA essentially regulates substances that are sold to be ingested by people. As the name implies, that includes food and drugs. However, the FDA regulates food products and drug products differently, and the standards that have to be met for FDA approval on each is different. So, the FDA has a classification system. Depending on whether an item is classified as a food, drug or supplement (which has its own separate category) determines the level of FDA scrutiny a product has to pass before it can be marketed and sold in the US.

Now, the FDA has determined that vitamins and supplements are not quite foods (though they are mostly derived from foods), but aren't quite drugs, either. To a degree, for VMS proponents, this is actually a very good thing. It means that VMS does not have to undergo rigorous study and testing before being marketed like a pharmaceutical drug does. It also means the FDA, by classifying an item as VMS, does NOT evaluate the claims made by the manufacturers of the items. HOWEVER, the trade-off is that because they are not subject to the same scrutiny as pharmaceuticals, the deal is you CANNOT market them as a "cure" for a disease. If you want to market them as a "cure," then you have to agree to have your supplement classified as a drug. Which means a much more involved process before you can get that item sold because it has to pass scientific scrutiny. So, as you can see, if anything the FDA is making it far easier for VMS makers to market their product by not classifying it as a drug, and in turn the VMS makers are free to make all sorts of claims about their products that don't have to be ok'd with the FDA.

The quote above demonstrates what happens when unethical and greedy VMS makers want to have their cake and eat it, too. They wanted to market their product as a drug and a cure, but did not want to go through the hoops that a pharma drug would have to go through in order to be recognized as a "cure" to disease. The FDA clearly says that VMS makers are fee to claim that their product "promotes" or is "associated with" certain health benefits, but you cannot claim that it is a "cure" unless you are willing to have your product be subjected to the same standards as a drug. The walnut people are merely being told this. Either go throught the process, call it a drug and "prove" it does what you say, or quit marketing the product as a "cure." Notice, the walnut people were never told to pull their product off the market, and it wasn't made "illegal" to sell by any stretch of the imagination. They were merely told to market it correctly.

And the funny thing is, you yourself were busy with hand-wringing on a recent thread where james posted that the government was considering changing its stance about how VMS was to be evaluated and tested. You started talking about the grand conspiracy theory to crush the VMS industry, etc. So which is it? Do you want VMS to be treated like drugs, or not? Seems to me if you don't, the FDA is actually doing you a favor. But you're too busy with your half-truths, un-truths and outright fabrications to listen to anyone else's "truth" but your own.

Oh, and LMAO that I defend pharmaceutical companies. I never implied that I defended them.

8. earshurt

earshurt New Member

9. earshurt

earshurt New Member

10. June-

June- New Member

The VMS companies are pharmaceutical companies, they are just unregulated ones.

11. earshurt

earshurt New Member

12. CGR

CGR Guest

Eh, you would be easier to read if you used quotes for other peoples responses.

13. earshurt

earshurt New Member

14. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I don't think you should stop posting, but I don't think you need to ignore earshurt, either! He's not losing it, and he's not spewing out garbage; chemo has the potential to CAUSE cancer: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24458-2005Feb14.html

I sometimes have trouble following earshurt's posts, too, and I'm not sure I agree with EVERYTHING he posts, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. He has been posting interesting and valid information. You don't have to agree with it, or follow up on it, or research it, or anything, but I don't understand why you are angry about it, either.

15. CGR

CGR Guest

^^^ I agree

16. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

Yea taximom, I agree too. Why all the anger and stuff?

17. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

He also posts inaccurate and misleading information all over the place that has nothing to do with Meniere's symptoms. He likes to speak and post as an authority on things but in fact just googles stuff and posts it. Indeed some of the stuff is interesting when it makes sense but there is so much non-sensical stuff I tend to question the information that may be accurate.

He needs to stick to what is relevant and accurate on this forum and expect to be corrected when he is blatantly incorrect in his info. He tends to change what he says when challenged with the correct information as was the case with the FDA/Wino discussion. He has also gone off on HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Erectile Dysfunction, politics, government, etc. He polarizes people here and pits posters against each other. He panders and sucks up to a few Alternative Therapy posters here (who in my opinion do know what they are talking about) while attacking others that he sees as Conventional Therapy posters and then claims he is victimized when he realizes his information was wrong. He mischaracterizes people who challenge his information when in fact these very same people use VMS as part of their treatment.

All EH has to do is stick to things that are relevant and accurate and we will all get along just fine.

18. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Yes... good point.

19. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

so you're telling me your fancy little graph was representing freaking words on the y-axis?!?! holy. cow. that's not science. that's a literature study.

i have a degree in environmental studies with minors in sustainable development and geology so you can save your "studies" on processed foods and water. i'm pretty sure your studies are "fouled." unless someone speaks up and wants to see them, please spare us.

you're a forum hopper who goes around copying and pasting these replies. it's obvious. so unless you're either ready to get down to specific meniere's business/help (which this isn't) or admit you can't, please leave us alone.

20. CGR

CGR Guest

That graph is flawed in so many ways that its not worth mentioning.