thoughts?advice? or info?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by kellie, Oct 4, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kellie

kellie New Member

hi, i am a 26 will be 27 on the 10th.woo woo..right? Anyways..I am a mother of 3 girls 5 1/2, 2 1/2 and 1 1/2...i was dx about 4yrs ago...have been able to manage with meds...hearing aids..diet...etc...All of the sudden within 6months i couldnt drive..carry my kids...because I was living 1/2 drunk constantly...and getting hit with horrible attacks where i couldnt keep my eyes from crossing...Went into the dr on monday...had surgery on wednesday..(in Feb) had the shunt and gent in left ear...things were the same until about 8 wks after surgery...i wasnt half drunk all the time...but i would still have my bad attacks//So things were better...well in beginning of Sept...my attacks started becoming like they were in feb...i had'nt told anyone...because i am totally a denial person..i admit it...I just didnt want to deal with it, like it wasnt happening again.. well i can't hide it now...for the past 3 wks i have been feeling the 1/2 drunkness....just about constantly...sad thing is that i adapt to it..the way i walk...even drive...Nope I am back to the not driving thing...So went into dr yesterday and he said he wanted to do more gent...so he did...he said that if i didnt have a 'bad' attack be thurs night, then i have to go in again on fri...and put more in...he said that if it doesnt work after friday...i have a decision to make..cut the nerve or not..since i am bilateral...i have to look at the possibility of my right ear becoming as bad someday...tomorrow or 20yrs from now...my husband want to try the mayo clinic..The DR i see in Omaha is suppose to be one of the top mm spec in the us...He was part of the intervention of the choclear implant...anyways...anyone gone to mayo? Anyone else have bilateral and had either or any surgery done? Thank you!!
    ps..i use to be on as kel23...but we moved...new computer...forgot passwords etc..
    Kellie

2. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Kellie

I am bilateral........shunt left ear 2002. VNS right ear Dec 2005.

Please send me an PM to discuss more.

Take Care
    Tuck

3. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Kellie,

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling so much again. :( :( Bless your heart to have this and three children to take care of too.

I went to Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN in Oct. 04. I saw Dr. Garcia and had an extensive work up done again. The main reason I chose Mayo was because of other health issues I was dealing with at the time. I know there are others that have made the trip to Mayo just for Meniere's Disease. Hopefully they will respond to your post.

I am bilateral too. I have found an excellent doctor in Portland, OR. I believe there are other well experienced doctors for Meniere's Disease without going to someplace like Mayo.

I did have shunt/sac decompression surgery in my left ear. I had relief for 4 weeks then all heck broke lose. I was not given the option of a VNS since I was already bilateral.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat further.

Stacey