This Picture Says a Boatload

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Henrysullivan, Oct 5, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Well, therein lies an issue for sure, June. Is the law of the land what tha law of the land says, or is it what a certain group of folks might prefer it to say at any particular time they might convene. Obviously this separation did not apply to the states when it was written when it was written all of the states indeed did have religious affiliation requirements in place at that time. And the First Amendment has never been repealed or modified. So it still means the same thing today as it did in 1787. Too many times, as you point out, people do not know the history and presume that this separation between church and state is a blanket principle covering all government and all religious displays, down to a small town displaying the Ten Commandments in a courthouse lobby. The First Amendment does not cover those instances and the federal government has no jurisdiction there.

2. June-

June- New Member

The Supreme Court is the third co-equal branch of government. I know you know all about checks and balances in our government. There has to be a peaceful way of deciding things or we would always be at war with ourselves. THe constitution has changed however. They are called amendments. The first amendment is in fact of course the FIRST amendment. But they all count. There has to be some degree of interpretation taking into account changes since the founders lived. First of all, they didn't all agree with each other. Secondly, it would be hard to deal with airplanes and women voting and so forth if we were not able to make judgments. It's not one vote one time, we constantly evolve. That is why we are still a democracy and all the one vote one time countries cease to be democracies in very short order. Whenever the congress or the court or the president don't do things the way *I* would I don't like it. But I am mature enough to know that with 350 million people in this country I won't get my way every time. All I ask is a good system for working out disputes and we have the best there is so far. I am very proud of it and I get to worship however I want. I don't even have to tell anyone what my beliefs are. We take that for granted in this country and find things to nitpick (we are human after all) but freedom of worship is very rare world wide.

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Can't find much fault there, good lady.

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

America is truly one nation under God. Author of liberty. Praise God, keep our land free. Help those who are not. In Jesus mighty name, Amen.