Think You Are Disabled??

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by dizzjo, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

When I got my backpay and disability determination, I did not receive all the money I was entitled to. If you have dependent children they also qualify to receive money based on your social security. However they just don't automatically give it to you. I waited a good week or so to get another letter and determintaion for my children but it never came! Thought it would be automatic since they had collected all the information they needed on my initial application. But no! I had to call the main social security number and find out what was going on. Got the runaround for awhile, until the woman finally pulled my information up on the computer. Then I had to wait yet another month, to get another appointment with my local social security office, just to go over the kid's info again. I got a verbal confirmation, over the phone, that they would be getting x amount and backpay as far as mine went! Every year I have to fill out a form to specify how that money is being spent on them. So I thought I would share this info with you because I figure some people that would be entitled to this benefit might overlook it and figure that their children aren't qualified because they didn't receive anything when their social security first gets awarded.

This is from the SSDI site:

When you qualify for Social Security disability benefits, your children MAY also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Your eligible child can be your biological child, adopted child or stepchild. A dependent grandchild may also qualify.

To receive benefits, the child must be unmarried; and

be under age 18; or

be 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or

be 18 or older and have a disability that started before age 22.

Normally, benefits stop when children reach age 18 unless they are disabled. However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, benefits will continue until the child graduates or until two months after the child becomes age 19, whichever is first.

The determining factor seems to be how many credits you have with SSA. If you have enough you qualify, if you don't you don't. But they do not explain it!

2. iam classed by my doctor and the hospital ent deparment as unalbe to work have have been for a few years once again the DSS social secutiry who deal with benefits are sending me for a medical with threre dispite been told iam unfit. 18 mths ago they did this there doctor said i was fit for work and i was forced to appeal and made to look for work. i won this appeal after in 5mins in a hearing they where disgusted with the conduct by the dss appointed doctor. has anyone else in the uk or usa had to go through the same ?

3. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

I don't know how it works in the UK, but I know in the US that once approved for SSD or SSI benefits that a person is up for a review every 2-3 years.

I didn't have to go through this because when I turned 65 it all switched to straight SS and no longer had the disability part in the benefits. I am retired from my work too.

Maybe those who have experienced a review in either country will tell about their own experience.

4. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

5. dalironz

dalironz New Member

I have been denied Disability twice. I got an attorney who specializes in Disability claims. My Dr. was not cooperative at all about filling out the paperwork and said I was able to work. The last visit to the rheumatologist through my interview it was determined I could no longer work. I could show up for work, but I never knew when or how long the good days would last. I was told by Disability people I could go back to work in the insurance business I worked before becoming ill. I have hearing loss and distortion in my left ear. I cover my right ear when on the phone and I can't hear or understand anything out of my left ear. Because I have excellent hearing in my right (good) ear, they declined disability. Soooo frustrating. Now they tell me it may be 18 months before I have my hearing!!! By then I will be almost 62...

6. Titus

Titus New Member

I am not on disability now but have done some research. I have letters from two neurologists for reasonable accommodations (teaching from home). If you have ever been treated for depression, anxiety or bi-polar disorder and your other conditions make the mental disorders worse, that is good for your case. You should see all your doctors on a regular basis. Ask for their office notes. Make sure when they dictate they list all your dx. Keep copies of all your medical records. If you are working, you should be building documentation for your case as you go along.

We have short-term and long-term disability and the State of Florida also provides early disability retirement payments. I hope and pray I can continue working but I'm keeping very good records and seeing three doctors who have followed my case for the past 7 years.

7. poletop

poletop New Member

I'm scared, I'm a lineman ( powerlines ) as if that is not dangerous enough, I dont know anything about disabilty stuff, going without a job or pay check for my family scares the hell out of me,

8. trippen1999

trippen1999 New Member

i am an electrical technican at a plant,it scares the hell out of me too!!!dont know what i would do if i could not work.

9. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

Just typing something in here so I can reference any changes and follow. This has some good information.

10. fifferfrog

fifferfrog New Member

I am not on disability and have never applied but I am a Registered Nurse and often wonder when the day will come that I will lose my job because of my symptoms. It's tough to care for other people when you are feeling like a train wreck yourself. According to the SS website the criteria that is required for Meniere's is:

2.07 Disturbance of labyrinthine‑vestibular function (including Meniere’s disease), characterized by a history of frequent attacks of balance disturbance, tinnitus, and progressive loss of hearing. With both A and B:

A. Disturbed function of vestibular labyrinth demonstrated by caloric or other vestibular tests; and

B. Hearing loss established by audiometry.

That is from the SS Blue book at http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/2.00-SpecialSensesandSpeech-Adult.htm#Top

As others have posted, I think the key is building a strong case with documentation of medical records from ALL treating physicians over the years and painting the full picture of the impact on your life.

11. crazydevilsgirl

crazydevilsgirl My baby girl and me!

To all of those who suffer and have not been able to get the help they need, my prayers are with you! I am very greatful to have just found this site, and wish I found it sooner...

I suffer from Bipolar Disorder, as well as Meniere's Disease, and I was able to get disability several years ago. I had to get a lawyer and go to court, at the time I was in my twenties and no one really knew what Meniere's Disease was (I remember having to tell the ER doctors back then what it was) let alone understood it, add that to mental illness into the mix and it was a tough case.

To anyone that is having a hard time or think they might need disability please start to keep a diary/journal or even a calander with stars on it marking the days you have an attack. I would keep track of vertigo attack that were severe by putting a check on my calander, and looked back and realized how often there were checks per month. So I made notes in my journal and told my therapist when I had really bad attacks as well (she noted them in my file with her notes, which I understand did help when the judge looked over everything).
    In Jan, 2010 I had the sac decompression surgery, and began keeping a log (daily, sometimes weekly) recording the attacks, or dizzy days. It had made a BIG deal and helped with how often I was having attacks. I went back and counted and realized I said about 4-6 attacks a month to the doctor and it was closer to 15, not to mention those hang-over days after a long or intense attack. It has been very helpful in many ways, and might come in handy when SSA reviews my case again, hopefully by then I might not need disability.

There is a way, it can be very rough and stressful, which we all know doesn't help when it comes to the attacks. Hopefully medical knowledge, science and understand will catch up and help us better one day, or maybe cure us. I don't know how I would have a roof over my head if I didn't have SSD, and it's not like they actually give you an amount you can live off of, but it does help. I hope that little info helps, and again my prayers go out to everyone!

12. dizzymomma

dizzymomma New Member

Someone please help me

Dear fellow meniers partners, my life has turned upside down and inside out since may of 2010. The world started to spin around me. Luckily I am a registered nurse and was rushed to the ER. I started to sweat, and vommit for 3 straight hours. i just feel as if there is a fish bowl on the top of my head. It feels as if water is swishing in my head, I have a horrible ringing in my right ear, brain fog, pressure in my ear, and nausea. I have no appetite, lost 30 lbs, and have no appetite. when i taste food it tastes salty and different. i am on a low sodium diet and i dont know what to eat. i was diagnosed with meniers and mingranous vertigo. i have been to 5 neourologist 3 ear and nose. Most docters say I have migranous vertigo but i had meniers before in 1994 and say its that. However, i was no wheres as bad. my job denied my short term dissability because they said it was preexisting past the three months so now i am not getting that income. I have to support my kids benefits and i dont know what to do for i am not in good shape to get back to work.
    I have already took Klonopin, topamax, elavil, valium, and antivert.
    I have been through a proceedure called the dexamethazone to my right ear. This did nothing.
    Did anyone have the lymphasitic sac surgery or any other reccomendations or recipes?
    Also, are there any good docters in pennsylvania? can anyone help, I feel helpless. Thankyouu:)

13. dizzymomma

dizzymomma New Member

Dear fellow meniers partners, my life has turned upside down and inside out since may of 2010. The world started to spin around me. Luckily I am a registered nurse and was rushed to the ER. I started to sweat, and vommit for 3 straight hours. i just feel as if there is a fish bowl on the top of my head. It feels as if water is swishing in my head, I have a horrible ringing in my right ear, brain fog, pressure in my ear, and nausea. I have no appetite, lost 30 lbs, and have no appetite. when i taste food it tastes salty and different. i am on a low sodium diet and i dont know what to eat. i was diagnosed with meniers and mingranous vertigo. i have been to 5 neourologist 3 ear and nose. Most docters say I have migranous vertigo but i had meniers before in 1994 and say its that. However, i was no wheres as bad. my job denied my short term dissability because they said it was preexisting past the three months so now i am not getting that income. I have to support my kids benefits and i dont know what to do for i am not in good shape to get back to work.
    I have already took Klonopin, topamax, elavil, valium, and antivert.
    I have been through a proceedure called the dexamethazone to my right ear. This did nothing.
    Did anyone have the lymphasitic sac surgery or any other reccomendations or recipes?
    Also, are there any good docters in pennsylvania? can anyone help, I feel helpless. Thankyouu:)

14. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

dizzymomma do a search for endolymphatic sac decompression

15. crazydevilsgirl

crazydevilsgirl My baby girl and me!

Dizzymomma don't give up!

Dr Gregory Artz at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia! He is amazing and while he hasn't had all the answers for me he has helped me get most of them. He works with you answers all and any question doesn't make you feel like you are wasting his time with questions and worked with my other doctors.

I learned that medication can be a great evil, and the cause of dizziness. Unfortunately it would take 6-7 month is psych hospital to figure out if one of the medications is causing my vertigo since my surgery. The other issue is my medication is actually working to control my bipolar, so I don't want to mess with the combo if it was the cause of the problem.

If anyone knows about diagnosis of Perilymphatic Fistula causing vertigo please message me, or leave a comment. That is the theory at hand right now and it makes sense from the way the doctor in Teaneck NJ explained. Still want to go back to Jefferson and DR Artz if it comes down to surgery, he is the best!
    It hasn't been easy the vertigo is controling my life again and the idea of another surgery is freaking me out a little but if it fixes the problem then surgery here I come.

DON'T GIVE UP! It does get better, and sometimes threws you a curve ball but knock it out of the park!
    Keep going after the disability they like to say no, but if you keep after them and prove your not going away sometimes that helps! Good luck and you are in my prayers!

16. maxxoutzen

maxxoutzen New Member

disability attorneys,,,i think Henry vIII had it right........

17. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Bumping this up - in case it could help anyone.

18. Aggiehunter34

Aggiehunter34 New Member

Here is a link that might help with disability. Sorry if it has already been shared.
    http://www.menieresinfo.com/disability.html