The Why's of Evolution vs.Religion

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by daBronx, May 11, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. daBronx

daBronx New Member

Though I'm a Christian I've always believed in science and evolution.I never believed that Man came from dust.This morning I ran across an interesting article that I would like share with you.
    http://tinyurl.com/6n86c87

2. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

You've already quoted this in another topic.

3. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Yes, a new way to incite people on a support forum in a section dedicated for beople who are
    Spiritual.
    Not, in my opinion, to debates religion and piss people off.

Sorry, but I reported you, too.

4. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm glad you cleared up what you believe - I'm just surprised that you don't believe what the bible said about how life, human life came to be. How can you be a christian and not believe this very important part of the bible? The thing that seperates a lot of people about evolution and God.

5. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

DITTO!

6. Nathan

Nathan New Member

A topic which, more often than not, acquires polarity, I agree. However I place emphasizes of the word "often". I know several people who are Christian who also believe in evolution. Many Catholic schools also teach evolution, though that's not to say said schools force their students to believe in it. Similar to non-catholic schools teaching Religious studies, for example

7. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

You know, Nathan, I just read this whole thing again, and I've decided that you have a right to your opinions on religion, just as we all have.

8. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Huh? Well for one, I haven't expressed an opinion. I've simply stated facts. i.e. The topic of creation & evolution often divides non-believers from believers, that I have friends who are Christian who believe in evolution, that many Catholic Schools often teach Evolution & non-Catholic schools teach Religious studies.

Two, is it just now that you have decided that I personally have a right to an opinion, like everybody else has? Are you saying that before you decided, today, that unlike everybody else, I didn't have a right to express my own opinion?

Though I'm glad you've decided that I have a right to express my own opinion, because often I restrain myself from expressing them in fear of your disapproval *rolls eyes

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I hope yours are rhetorical questions. I hope.

10. Nathan

Nathan New Member

whenever I see rhetorical, I think rhinoceros

11. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

12. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Nathan, I don't understand how the two can be married. From all I've heard and read (which obviously isn't very much) there's a definate distinction between the two beliefs. How is a christian, who believes in the bible, simply ignore how the bible explains us to 'be'? I mean, of course everyone can believe whatever they want but how does it logically separate?

13. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

I'm a follower of a Christian faith, and I believe in evolution also. My take is this: The world was created in 7 days, and on the 7th day the Lord rested.

Who says that 1 day wasn't 100 million years? Or whatever number you want to give it?

My .02.

14. Nathan

Nathan New Member

If I answer this is it going to bite me directly in the ass or wot?

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I don't see why you should. We'e not being mean or unsupportive and it's not anti-religious either. It's just a discussion. If it turns ugly, we can always quit - how's that?

16. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Fine, I'll bite. Before I begin though I should let you know I haven't slept in 4 days, so if I come across as incoherent, I apologise.

I guess the simple answer would because they can :D

I mean there's no written rule saying you can or cannot believe that which you believe in.

Max has already given an excellent example & I can't speak on the behalf of those I know (& it's not as though I've asked them anyway in fear that I may come across as either judgmental or confrontational), although as for an explanation & a possible example as to why an individual may choose to do so - I feel as though it doesn't have to "logically separate" to become a successful union. Ultimately faith & hope have no need to be logical if both fulfil their purpose.

It's not uncommon for an individual to adopt specific aspects of an ideal or ideals which allow them to overcome something which they may struggle with. For example, take an existential nihilist - they may adopt the hope found in a religion to replenish their faith or purpose in order to overcome a loss of intrinsic meaning or value in their lives, though they may also continue to believe in such things as evolution.

17. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

First of all Nathan - GET SOME SLEEP!!!

I read Max's entry and it made a lot of sense to me. I've wondered the same thing. I undestand the opinion, and I totally agree that one day could've very well have been one million years, in God time. Time really is relative. I know we all use our clocks for various reasons but it is a subjective thing though we treat it as objective. What blows my mind sometimes is how far we've come just from a few hundred years ago until today!

18. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

I tend to not get too involved in the discussion of it. If Nathan or anyone else is an atheist or agnostic, I have no problem with that. As I'm sure he respects the beliefs of others.

Holly, the whole idea of evolution and religion's story of the creation are totally compatible to me. Why some get so fervent and bent out of shape about it is beyond me. I guess I would say to them is, pull that wad of shorts out of your wazoo and expand your thinking just a bit beyond the dogma that a lot of us, of all religions and beliefs, have been fed all of our lives. By the way, I still believe in God, a higher power.

That said......... everyone have a great weekend! 8)

19. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Max, great post.
    Holly great advice
    NATHAN, GET SOME SLEEEEEEP!

20. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

There's a lot I want to say, but instead I'll recommend a book by a man much, much smarter than I am, in case anyone is interested. It's called A Matter of Days, by Hugh Ross. He's an astrophysicist and old Earth creationist. A link to his website is here.

http://www.reasons.org/