The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Pluto, Oct 31, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Should there be a music thread where you can post some of your favorite Youtube videos?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2008.
  1. Yes!

91.7%
  2. No!

8.3%
  1. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Until a year ago or so ago, I never paid any attention to Youtube. But since, I've discovered many classics there. I'm rock oriented, and there is a veritable wealth of music there. I'm glad I found it. There may be other sites as well, but I've not discovered them yet.
    I'm a bassist at heart, did that for a while in my early 20's until life got in the way! but I like all kinds of music, all kinds as long as it's done well. I decided music was my life 30 years ago, I got away from it, and music videos are a way, along with CD's, to get back to it. I'm a rocker, but I've found some Chet Atkins (remember him?) stuff that will blow your socks off. BTW, those that don't know, Chet is very country. I just like guitarists!

If the vote is positive, the poll goes for 10 days, I'll start one. I've got a bunch of favorites I could post. And doesn't have to necessarily be youtube music videos, could be your own stuff. If you're a currently performing musician or have been in the past,you can upload your .wav files to Ripway or some other music sharing site (works very similarly to photobucket) where they will be converted to MP3's, and post the links here.

I know, Menieres prohibits many here from hearing the music, from being able to tolerate it or the video. I'm deaf in my right ear now and I hate that. And the other ear ain't up to snuff either. Just vote, we'll see what happens. :)

Oh, here's a teaser for ya, I'm sure you've heard this one......... ladies and gentlemen, the man, the master of the stratocaster......... Eric Clapton.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yekz__cCci0

2. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

Re: Should There be a Music Video Thread?

I can't appreciate it, but I voted in favor of it--most other board members can still enjoy music--for me it all sounds like someone humming out of tune through an amplified kazoo!

I'll even post a family music video (it is from over 2 years ago and was posted before)
    it is the 1 minute clip of my daughter performing at Ms Texas Pageant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VzuY3Rv44

if the thread takes off, I have lots of youtube links of really cool groups and songs I listened to until my hearing finally cratered a year ago

3. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Thanks Jim....... I sort of have hopes it will do just that, take off, like the photo thread has. And the more original stuff we have other than youtube videos, the better.

Here's a teaser. I said I was a rocker but like all guitar music, well here's some fantastic Chet Atkins, performing a Don McClean song. "Vincent". I'm sure many will remember it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wsePsTEgiqU

4. pardonme

pardonme Guest

5. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Thanks Diane (that's right isn't it? the name?). I love music, guess I'm a musician!
    Sometimes.......... I wish I had pursued it further......... not happening now.
    Anyway, please, everyone else vote. Methinks it's gonna be a landslide (political jargon for overwhelming). lol

6. jim1884again

yes, I remember Chet Atkins well--was my father's favorite guitarist--he said "all those other damn bums only played one or two strings"
    never knew he did Vincent--beautiful song and all the more poignant since it is about the artist who had Meniere's Disease--good choice (wish I could hear it! I have a "music" setting on my hearing aides, but it doesn't help--just makes the cacophony sound louder and maybe even more distorted)--was nice to watch his finger movements though
    will try to get one of my son playing "Classical Gas"--his mom asked him to learn it the summer he turned 15--he came back about a day later and played it flawlessly
    there is a music video of my last performance but it will never be shown here! I am too vain

7. pardonme

pardonme Guest

8. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Jim.......... I played with a guitarist back in the late 70's and early 80's....... sorry, reminiscing, that taught me so much about the guitar. THAT, I will never forget. Granted, we were rock, very rock, but did some very different stuff that he wrote. Anyway, he lives in southern Oregon now, we manage to see each other every few years, his brother lives in town. He's 60 now and is still performing. He still has his "chops" too, a consumate musician.
    I've got a couple of mp3's stored on Ripway too of our band in 1977. May post them later.

9. pardonme

pardonme Guest

10. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Oh Dianne........... that's some mean harp there. I love it!

11. pardonme

pardonme Guest

12. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Dianne, the stuff I have is not video, but from 1977, it would be mp3's, and considering the source which is a 30 year old cassette, saved on Ripway, it's not very good. We were a tight band, 3 pc. guitar, bass, and drums. It's a muddy recording. But I just might.
    If this thing takes off, I'd love for everyone to post their stuff, high quality or not!

13. jim1884again

never heard of Michael Pickett but he looks pretty official--very blues-ish--also watched part of another one where he was playing solo harmonica--gets rave reviews--Canadian commie pinko?

14. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Now Jim, don't start that crap!!! ;D Just kiddin' ya bud!

15. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Dianne, does he have a recording contract? He is fantastic. Glad you get to hear his stuff in person.

Just watched it again, I would love to meet him. Awesome!

16. jim1884again

here is the link to Dog and Katt
    the guy singing "Big Fat Mama" is a high school drinking buddy, Ron Diego Johnston (went on my first drunken binge in Mexico with him, 41 years ago next month!--he is definitely not a Canadian commie pinko--he has a picture of him with George H Bush at his website!)
    he did LA for years but is now back in TX on a little ranch
    the members played with Three Dog Night, Mick Fleetwood and others I guess are big time but I don't know anything about

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.showvids&friendID=183756262&n=183756262&MyToken=b69af6a5-dad9-4780-99aa-da1e89a509cf

17. jim1884again

I think Di knows from my point of view it would be a compliment to be called that--the TX buddy of mine is likely another Ted Nugent politically!

18. pardonme

pardonme Guest

19. pardonme

pardonme Guest

20. jim1884again

yep, a commie pinko for sure--probably voted for that "Green" candidate lady I saw on the Canadian PM debates or maybe even that French sissy!

seriously, even with my limited hearing, your friend sounds pretty good