The Meniett

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by Linda1002, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kim

kim New Member

Thanks for your responses. I got the decision yesterday and I was denied again. I did do a third appeal, but am not very hopeful. The reason they gave was that there is not enough evidence in double blind studies to determine that this is an effective tx. BlueCross/Blue Shield NY I have been told by the Meniett Company said they typically do not approve the device. If denied again, I will appeal to the state. A coworker, who is an attorney said she would help me in any way she could. Thank you all so much for your information and encouragement.

2. wobblyti

wobblyti New Member

Kim,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your appeal. Keep hanging in there...

Take care,

Teri

3. Robert A

Robert A New Member

I appealed to the State of California and won. Unfortunately, after 8 months of usage, the benefits of the device failed me.

2 of the 3 doctors on the Independent Medical Review board favored the device, while one did not. Having re-read the studies, I can understand both points of view, but then, it sure is a lot cheaper and safer than surgery.

4. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Hi all.
    I only read the forum for info now. I don't post anymore, except today. :)
    I ear-marked Tucker's info for my move, but can't pull up the first link?
    I went to a neighborhood bbq last night and a woman provided me with this info: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/wdd/ME.html

Romy, my hearing dog, is still working out well with ME.
    The general public in NC needs to be educated about her, it's tiring.

An update on my November 2003, 5 year battle with Tricare and the meniett.
    We went to court in March '07, the judge ruled in my favor, Tricare still said no.
    We have now gone to the Senate level, Senator John McCain (AZ) and Senator Levin (MI-my home state)
    It's an election year, so keep your fingers crossed for all Tricare patients. :)
    The meniett pump is still working for me, 5 years going strong! :)

The 2100 mile, 31 hour drive, from AZ to NC was succesful, we arrived in NC on June 19, 2008.
    The hubby leaves for Kuwait around July 27, 2008.

I informed the National Temporal Bone Registry of my most recent move and they have sent me an updated consent form. FYI.
    I move every 2 years, so I save all my menieres testing/doctors and audiologist info on the computer.

5. dizzyamy

dizzyamy New Member

I used the meniett device while pregnant last year and thought it helped. but the tube fell out and now the hole in my tympanic membrane won't heal and close. my ent wants to do a tympanoplasty to close the hole. has anyone needed this procedure and if so do you recommend it?

6. Burlington

Burlington New Member

Just had a tube inserted Tuesday , anticpate getting a Meniett device shortly .
    Have a question rethe tube . When I block my nose or blow it , I get air coming our my ear!!?? is that normal?
    The constan "rushing' or wind in my ear has dampend a bit, bu my hearing (what was left of it ) has really degraded inthat ear
    Has anyone else noticed these symptoms?
    I dont see the Dr tat put thee tube in for 2 months , The air out the ear think concerns me
    Pease advie if this is normal

7. Robert A

Robert A New Member

Well, dummy, of course air is going to come out of your ear :)

The pressure comes from the Eustachian tubes in your body to the middle ear, then to the tympanic membrane. If there is a hole in the membrane, then air passes through it.

8. neil1462

neil1462 New Member

anyone selling a meniett??? i need one but cant afford 3500bucks help!!!!!!

9. cookie

cookie New Member

Hi,I am new to these posts but everyone seems very helpful. Up to this point whatever I have has been managable.I had the flu about a month ago & have not been able to see anybody,so I have been doing alot of reading & now I'm even more confused that ever,since these symtoms are quite difficult to describe,so at this point I don't know if I have Menieres,vertigo or some neurological condition. If anyone knows of DRs who specialize in these conditions I would appreciate it if you could let me know.My internist has been out of twn. so that has made it more difficult. I am thinking that a Neurologist who specializes in these diseases would be good since theres a brain(component) that could be the culprit for me.
    Thanks again for being there for me & everyone.
    I will ck. back.
    cookie

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Welcome, Cookie!

You might want to start a post in the Living Room since more people will see that.

11. Robert A

Robert A New Member

If you haven't found one yet, I've got one available. It's in a sealed box from Medtronic. I used it for less than a year and had it serviced and calibrated by them.

You're welcome to contact me privately.

-Robert
    [email protected]