The Meniett

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by Linda1002, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

www.meniett.com

2. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

A video on using the Meniett

[flash=200,200]http://ca.video.yahoo.com/video/play?oid=65588f8edf368769&rurl=www.meniett.com&fr=yvmtf[/flash]

3. gert157

gert157 New Member

I think its just great that so many are benefiting from the Menniett Device.. I tried it a few years ago, had the grommit put in the ear, all the things you have to do before using it, but in a short amount of time my body attacked the tube as a foreign body and incapsulated it so that the air the Menniett is supposed to get into the ear would not happen. I tried two different times both failed. My dr. said after examining the tube that was taken out that my ear developed a yellowish type mass around the tube not allowing air to flow freely.... The body doing what it does I suppose, when sensing something is different.... That being said, I have read of many patients that have had great success with this device, and for long periods of time.. Some have had to have the tube replaced I assume because what happened to me happened to them, but they are still big advocates of the device.... Bottom line, everyone is different and responses differently to different treatments, I wish it would have worked for me... 10 years into the monster and my body seems to be resistant to all conventional treatments.... To all those who are using this device and or contemplating using it, you have nothing to lose and possibly much to gain... I am just sharing what happened to me..
    Take care, Leanne

4. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Gert; I'm sorry the meniett didn't work for you, it has given me my life back.

5. prosecutrix2850

prosecutrix2850 New Member

I am considering trying the Meniett. The attacks have gotten so frequent I can't stand it (5-6 a week). Any advice? Cost? Pain? Success?

6. riverasanchez

riverasanchez New Member

I am right in the process of getting one. My son just got the tube inserted in his ear. But I am having problems processing via the insurance company. Vista Health Plan in particular. So I will keep you updated!!! Should this be of any help.

7. leelee13

leelee13 New Member

After you get a prescription for the Meniett from your Dr. Call Medtronics and they will tell you a way to lease the machine through someone they have set up that way insurance will pay for
    it. It has certainly helped me!!!!! Lee

8. america57

america57 New Member

My Doctor highly recommended this for me, since I am bilateral, but my insurance company refuses to pay for it. They say it is "experimental"

9. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

It actually has a medical code assigned to it. Call Medtronic and ask them to help.

Here's an example letter they suggest sending to your insurance company. The medical code number is E2120.

http://www.meniett.com/meniett_example_letter_one.html

10. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Medtronic is a huge help. They have a person assigned to help you deal with your insurance company. Make sure your insurance knows it is covered by Medicare. This was the turning point in me getting coverage. Most insurance companys follow their example. Mine was covered in 2005. With a fight. Even though my documents stated this, they just didn't believe it. Finally someone called them to confirm it. I am with Blue cross of MI. Appeal, appeal, appeal. Your doc also has their own rep at Blue Cross- I didn't know this. Get them involved. Your company also has their own rep. Get them involved. At least they can get someone to talk to them, and they can talk to you. Bcross would not even talk to me. It's very worth trying. Gave me a total remission for a long time, then stopped. Don't regret it for a minute. Still don't have the same kind of rotational vertigo that I had before using it. Lisa B. :)

11. Wild Irish Toes

Wild Irish Toes New Member

Is there anyone on the forum who is using the Meniette in an ear that also has a cochlear implant?
    Thanks,
    WildIrishToes

12. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hello and welcome!

No, I don't believe so.

13. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

I used the meniett for over a year with no relief. I also had to send the device back twice for repairs. I found it expensive, tempermental, and useless. I am glad that some get relief, but it definitely will not work for everyone.

14. angelmav

angelmav New Member

I have had it recommended as the next step in my treatment since I am dealing with dizziness/vertigo/headaches and nausea now on a daily basis. Six months ago I could go weeks without any symptoms, boy those were the days! I look forward to trying it and hope to find some relief.

15. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

I truly hope you are one of those people who the meniett works for. Lisa

16. lecanis

lecanis New Member

I go back to the doctor at the end of the month, and after seeing how much my low-so no-allergen diet helps, the next step he wants to consider is the Meniett. I read all the patient testimonies and stuff on the webpage, but I was still kind of skeptical because I wanted to actually talk to someone who had used it before. My doc says that getting it approved through my insurance is going to be a major battle too!

I'm glad to hear that there are others who have tried it, and that some have had good results.

17. dizzykat

dizzykat New Member

How exactly does the Meniett work? My Doctor has never mentioned this to me. We have discussed putting a shunt in. It sounds like this would be much less tramatic then a shunt. Should I mention this to my ENT at my next appointment?

18. ToniG

ToniG Guest

YES. YES. AND YES! I am bilateral and have been a succesful user since November 2003.

19. DkVampire

DkVampire New Member

I have been using the Meniett for ummmm about a little over 4 years now. It has gave me my life totally back! I remember days when my daughter would come down here to Florida for summer vacation and we would have to leave the theme parks because I felt an attack coming on. She would take care of me while I was having an attack. I also had a lot of support from this web site with the friends that I have met while talking in the chat room. It does feel a lot better not to look at the computer screen sideways...lol. It seems so long ago.
    Now days, I forget that I have this dreaded disease. I get a reminder if I really have too much sodium, my ears ring higher than normal (they ring all the time). Deedy has to tell me to use the box sometimes because I do not use it all the time, now. When I first got it, I used it 2 times a day but since then I feel that I don't need it. I cannot tell you when the last time I had an attack. I eat everything that I want and do just about anything that I can. I cannot scuba dive, but that may be changing with the new mask. I cannot go on rides at the parks that go upside down, and around very fast.... still makes me dizzy. I about killed my daughter for taking me on the Mummy ride at Universal. She said that it was slow... boy she was wrong...lol
    If you have any questions feel free to ask. I don't mind sharing my story - this was just a little taste.
    Good luck all
    Vampy

20. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Robert A. from CA just got Blue Cross coverage for his by appealing to his state's appeal service- you can search under his posts. Lisa (For more info on it see www.meniett.com) A tube is inserted in your air and the the machine delivers air pulses through that tube for about 5 minutes. Simple and easy to use. They give you a 45 day trial period to see if you notice a difference. I could tell mine was working within 4 weeks. Lisa