The herpes viral infection of the ear theory is

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bertito, Oct 11, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. studio34

studio34 Guest

Are you two husband and wife? :eek:

2. acujen

acujen New Member

Sydney....very jealous. Well, I can tell you that I have been a patient of Dr. Hains for many, many years. I am not sure he deserves to be on the pedestal in which you seem to place him. He's a nice guy, yes, but he is way more interested in publishing papers than treating is actual patients. In fact, I've left his office feeling so crummy so many times that I finally switched doctors. He scoffs at anti-virals, JOH, shunt surgery, etc. He seems to believe that nothing really works and that one should "learn to live with it". Yes, he has said this to me....giving me no hope. I think he is more interested in creating the image of being the premiere "dizzy doctor" that actually practicing it.

3. joy

joy New Member

Off topic: Had the same experience with a pediatric nephrologist - the head of the department at a "prestigious" hospital. Very well-written & exalted among his peers. He was soooo full of himself there was hardly room for our questions, let alone his hallowed-be-thy-glory answers. Em said he 'grossed her out' with his condescending attitude - he kept patting her on the head like she was a puppy.

4. bertito

bertito The greatest composer who ever lived.

Ohhhh...... Bert, you're telling me that my 8 years of researching anti-virals was all for nothing and Acyclovir that allowed me to have "my life back" was just a placebo effect or something?

Damm.

No, I am not telling you that. I merely posted a short summary of my conversation with my doctor regarding the herpes viral infection of the ear theory. There was no intent on my part to intrude, impose or change your believes concernig this issue. Those who believe in the theory have my unconditional respect and support, as well of those who do not.

Have a great day!

Bert.

5. bertito

The admiration and respect is mutual dear friend!!!

6. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Why post that short summary, then? How on earth is that "unconditional support" for those who have actually had good results from antivirals (whether or not they "believed in the theory")?

You have all these people posting on your thread that they HAVE had good results, sometimes great results from antivirals. And then you go and post that YOUR doctors AND all his colleagues don't believe in it, nyah nyah nyah. What purpose does that serve? Did you simply want to bring up the point that there are opposing views on the subject? It seemed more like you wanted to prove everyone else wrong. Even this last post talks about people who "believe in it," like "it" is the Easter Bunny, rather than people who have found that it eliminated their symptoms.

Or do you think that all these people simply experienced a placebo effect?

7. June-

June- New Member

No apology needed Bert. We need to know what various dr's think of ideas being bandied about. It doesn't invalidate anyone's experience, it does tell us what the general thought in the medical community is at this time. Even if a person really wants to go this route, they need to be aware of what response they are likely to get so they can be prepared to deal with that.

8. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

My parents had the same experience when they took me to the leading pediatric orthopedist when I was a baby. He misread the Xrays, told them that I had a debilitating disease in which my bones were deteriorating, that I would never walk, and that I should be institutionalized. Then he walked out.

His assistant was too terrified of him to correct him, and when my grandfather asked if there could possibly have been any mistake, refused to answer one way or the other!

Needless to say, my bones are fine, I walk (and run), etc, and have had no problem since.

9. studio34

studio34 Guest

Agreed. Bert has simply reported what his good doctor told him and he will no doubt take it on board and what others report here. Thanks again Bert for posting this knowing you'd take some predictable flak.

10. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Studio, Bert is a her (dudette) not a him. ;)

You have gender issues these days. LOL :D

11. bertito

You have it so wrong. Well, perhaps you have some intellectual limitations that prevent you from understanding my sincere and objective intentions, so I forgive you.. I had NO intentions to change anyone's mind about this issue.. You know what?? Have fun with your subjective and distorted state of mind. You are not worth listening to.

Bert.

12. studio34

studio34 Guest

I'm sorry to hear that Acujen. It's the first time I've heard a report like this about him or heard him say that nothing really works in reference to MAV anyway because clearly there are many things that work and much can be done.

13. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

If I misunderstood you, then of course I apologize. But perhaps instead of attacking me and calling me names, perhaps you could explain your "sincere and objective intentions" so that we all understand you correctly, since I am obviously not the only one who thought your post was argumentative, to say the least.

14. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I don't think Bert's post was argumentative at all.

There's a lot of talk about the herpes virus. Bert spoke to her doctor. Doctor does not support the theory. Sharing that information here.

15. 02SmithA

02SmithA New Member

AcuJen,

I wondered if I was the only one who felt this way, but now I see I'm not. I don't dislike Dr. Hain, but he is very quick to shoot down the thought of trying anything different than the normal treatment he uses, and his office isn't exactly easy to deal with. He tries a limited amount of things and if they don't work it seems he decides that the patient must just live with it. He refused to give me an antiviral and I have had to get it from another Dr.

16. heywally

heywally New Member

My (ex) ENT totally poo-poo'ed the idea that the JOH supplements were of any help to me even though I am certain that they were and are, as beginning to take them 2 1/2 years ago totally coincided with immediate and dramatic improvement for me from what had been an accelerating downtrend in the # and severity of my dizzy attacks.

He flashed me a "whatever works for you" and was totally disinterested in taking a look at this forum or at relevant written materials I brought in to him. He must be an expert .... :eek:

17. Roy G

Roy G Do you know how hard it is to fake your own death?

Funny, my ENT actually asked if I'd tried Lemon Bioflavonoids as he had heard that some people with Meniers were having some success with it.

18. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

My ent didn't not believe in the viral theory either, however, he was willing to work with me and let me try them. They did not work for me, neither did JOH. I thank Bert for sharing her experience. I believe there was a survey done once on the board and the results showed that the anti-viral was not the cure all. It would be great if someone would do a new one so we could get updated numbers! I don't know how.

I think when suffers find relief they are so excited to share it! Those of us who have tried it and our symptoms failed to improve, tend to keep quiet. It's like WE failed.............

The one thing that has slowed my MM is the limiting for sugar and carbs. I will be trying to follow Papajoe's example next. If one thing doesn't work, time to move on. And if all avenues fail to bring relief, I will have no guilt in saying "I tried everything" and will live like Linda and Aladdin and Sid and Bob and Seadog and-- well there are too many of you to name--with strenght, humor, and pride in knowing I can do it. I can live with a chronic illness!

KT

19. acujen

acujen New Member

@O2SMITHA : My experience exactly. He tried a limit number of treatment options (all of which he himself didn't seem to confident in) and then threw up his hands. I asked for anti-virals from his colleague (Dr. M?), who did give them to me (reluctantly) but in any effective does or quantity. When I told him that my father had the shunt surgery 20 years ago and is still vertigo free, he said to me "Maybe he wanted to believe it would work, so it worked." Okay. Well then, I would like to to believe it would work, too. So let's do it! If the placebo effect leaves me vertigo free for 20 years, sign me up! His response, "We don't do surgery." My new doctor says that surgery should not be the first option, but doctors who will not consider it are not confident in their surgical skills and feel more comfortable sitting behind a desk writing prescriptions. Interesting.

@KTabc : Have you considered surgery as an option? I would think you'd want to go that route before you get to the point where you can honestly say you have "tried everything.".

20. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

Yep, I would give surgery a try if needed! That is one of the many options. I am trying the less destructive routes first. I had a gent scheduled the end of July, but postponed it for now. But, yes, I would consider those medical options :)

And, acujen, I don't like doctors like the ones you described. Give me on that will work with me, listen, and offer support. And, there are lots of those out there--just have to keep looking until we find one that "clicks" with us!

KT