The F@#K YOU lizard

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by dolfan, Aug 14, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

In Miami, if your going to see something in the wild, it's going to be one of three things. It is going to be a bird, bug or lizard. The most common lizard is a brown anole, they are everywhere and really don't cause much of a problem. Another type of lizard is a small gecko that can get inside and leave droppings, but otherwise does not pose much of a problem. We have a new visitor outside and inside of our house called the Tokay Gecko. It must have been a pet that got loose, because they are native to Southeast Asia. This lizard was nicknamed the F@#K YOU lizard by the American soldiers fighting in Vietnam, because of the loud mating call that it makes (at night). We did not know what it was, till I saw it in the garage. They are also considered to be one of the meanest of all lizards. My son says this lizard is ruining his sleep and that we need to do something quick. Of coarse it does not bother me, because I can't hear a damn thing! LOL. I guess if I see him again, I will have to shoot him or something.....I don't know ???

2. June-

June- New Member

What exactly does a mean lizard do, besides keep people awake at night?

3. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I read on Wiki that this thing is not tame and that before it takes off running, it bites the shit out of you :D they are very colorful though

4. June-

June- New Member

Thats why i dont like the south!

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'll take the lizard, meanness and all, over months of snow and freezing temperatures.

6. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Why the need to kill it?

Humanely trap it and take it to the wilderness where it can lead a full and happy life singing it's mating songs :D

Why is it that people's first reaction is to kill something? Can't we all just get along :D

7. June-

June- New Member

I dont know lizards, but i know up here many people have an innate fear of snakes that they feel like they must kill even the harmless and beneficial ones like black snakes that keep the rodent population down. Still, i know it is unnerving to have a wild animal take up residence in your house and threaten children and pets. Raccoons tend to be a problem here. Cute but theY can tear up a person or pet. Where do you take them and release? Our wild is someone farmers back yard. Still, i feel like you, i don't like killing stuff.

People should not bring in exotic pets and if they do, they should take responsibility for them for their lifetime.

8. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Up here in Raccoon land there are lots of conservation areas, parks and woodlots.

In Florida there are a lot of natural areas around lots of lakes. Perfect reptile envirnments. :)

9. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

** environments

10. June-

June- New Member

Sometimes though, releasing an exotic species in a natural area is an environmental disaster because they may have no natural enemies.

11. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

coon good!

12. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Agreed ... didn't mean to release something that doesn't belong there. Just creatures that are native.

13. Janice

Janice New Member

don't you have like a wildlife rescue service you can call who will come and take it away.

14. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

you have to catch him first. when I read that the soldiers called it the FU lizard, I thought that they were saying that to the lizard out of anger. I told a buddy what I read and he corrected me by saying that the sound they make sounds like FU if you say FU over and over. Sure enough, he is right. My wife heard him last night and the night before. This is when MM comes in handy. LOL :D

15. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I think I finally got the bitch. He keep me up all night, right outside my window. I shot him with a spear gun, but missed. I then foamed him into the crack that he crawled into. I hope this is the end of this noisy creature. Call me cruel, but I'm looking forward to sleeping tonight.