The Cook Book

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Artlover, May 12, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Artlover

Artlover it's a crazy world.

a short blurb by Sally L.

The Cook Book

The church group would get together once a week to meet and discuss the cook book and it's contents. Since I was the artist, I was chosen to contribute the illustrations. Recipes from soups to salads to desserts poured in from young and old, new members and seasoned members.

The committee chair was the wife of an army general, and her house was filled with dusty army relics. One room would saunter in to another room, and there were old prints of horses and dogs and riders on hunts.

Her disabled son was healthy and cheerful and surveyed the room like his father the general. He and his mother were thick as thieves, and they had a secret language.

As the book came together, plans were made for a church celebration of it's publication. Caterers were called and announcements were made.

The books arrived in boxes, and my illustration sat quietly on the cover. It had pulled together nicely with drawings and recipes.

The day arrived and cars lined the streets of this old country road. You could smell the sweet smell of hay and horses and the quiet sounds of tractors and birds singing.

We were instructed to go to the back of the house where the porch and back yard sprawled out in to a sea of green. Tables were covered with colorful food and drinks. I filled my plate with an assortment of savory and sweet items and asked for a soft drink. The yard was filled with quiet chatter.

I decided to sit on the porch and watch the crowd from within. As I sat down on a comfortable cushioned couch, I looked up and on the wall was a four-foot square gold leaf swastika. I just looked at it and wondered how far had we really come?