The benefits of valuum

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Terri-Lee, Sep 2, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. nassman

nassman Guest

Can you please indicate where the poor delivery in my original message is? I have quoted it below. This is truly getting ridiculous....and there are countless PM's I am getting from many people who are tired of this witch-hunt against me.

2. LisaB

LisaB New Member

It simply is not true that taking valium or certain other drugs produce "more detrimental effects" than the benefit they provide. As I state, I took valium with no detrimental effects whatsoever.
    I'm just trying to counteract what I see as a false statement; it's not meant to attack you personally.
    I think it's important not to spread fear.
    With all due respect this argument about your delivery is an old one. Not something that is surprising to me or probably to you. I am not attacking you, just trying to clear up the point that you made about valium.
    That seems simple enough. I hope that whatever it is you suffer from, you find relief. Lisa

3. tc5998

tc5998 New Member

VERY true

Also VERY true.

Benzo's are VERY helpful (that is a lot of very's!..) during vertigo attacks to help reduce symptoms and calm the vestibular system. In my opinion, they are an important tool in the arsenal of symptom control for MM patients. Every neuroto doc I've had has prescribed them in one flavor or another, but always at a small dose. 2mg for valiums, or .25 (there is a dot there!) for Xanax. I like Xanax better as it seems to be metabolized quicker. Also, you can order xanax in a brand called "Nirvam" that is chewable/dissoluble in your mouth.

One key with these drugs is they are not intended for every day use. They are "as needed" and if you are finding you need them more than once a day or so (days you are having full on attacks don't count ;D ) then you should discuss with your Doctor as you may be using the drug to cover up the fact you aren't compensating for some loss of balance function. This compensation should come from physical rehab, not meds.

Good luck!

4. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Physical Rehab does not work for everyone, been there many many times.....with VNS in one ear and MM increasing getting worse in the other.......life must go on,

I am not even going to get into the valium debate, I can't function without it.
    Tuck

5. groovemastergreg

groovemastergreg New Member

We are not in agreement about anything. I've quit, cold turkey, valium and xanax, on at several occasions in the past 9 years. I have never had any problem. No wanting. No desire. No need to go hit up the bottle (I always have some of one or the other around). No hellacious or wretched withdrawal symptoms. No desire to go break into a drug store.

Nass should stop trying to scare people about something which he knows nothing about. There is an awful lot of anger, imho, in his posts about valium.

6. nassman

nassman Guest

Before you publically acused me of knowing NOTHING about this issue, I would have much rather had you PM me and ask me where (and how) I know about this issue. That would have been the mature thing to do. I guess you took the opposite route.

And, it seems like you have a lot of anger towards those who are not "pro-valium".

7. burd

burd New Member

Then maybe you were lucky?  My own doctor told me about it's addictive properties.  Occasional use won't, or very low dosages, but it definitely can be addictive, unless my doctor is lying to me. 

(I would be angry if someone was always quick to try and shoot me down.  Not saying he is, just making a broad observation.)  Don't think I'm trying to pick a fight groovemaster, I'm not.  I'm just a bystander expressing thoughts.  I have nothing personal against you.

8. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

For g-d's sake Nass, will you give it a rest!!!!!!

I am almost absolutely sure that ANYONE prescribed a benzo is well aware of their addictive properties.....in the nearly 4 years I have been in .org I can't recall anyone saying they are addicted to them ??? or even that they have to increase their dose due to tolerance ??? Increased dosage due to worsening disease yes, but not tolerance. Do you have any instances of the above....BUT...only related to this forum and MM, not the whole wide world and the HUGE doses (like up to 90mg a day :eek: :eek:) used by those who are unfortunately addicted ot tolerant

I have been on the wonder vestibular suppressant drug valium for 12 years now and am not addicted nor tolerant...I can and have stopped it many times without any withdrawals but I function much better on a very small dose...2mgs...it just helps to keep the vertigo at bay and is usually effective at that dose, but.....horror of horrors :eek: sometimes I need another 2mgs later in the day if it is a bad MM day (about 1-2 month usually, but lately the vertigo is back and it is currently 1-2 week)) ....I doubt very much that ANY doc would be concerned about that dose.

Maybe a better approach would be to just provide the link to newbies to the many, many, many threads about the benzo's and not get into a "pissing" match with those of us who have used it to great benefit without any of the drawbacks. Have you ever used it yourself for vertigo?

Maggie

9. catinthehat

catinthehat New Member

Nassman,

I think the reason most people assume you do not have Meniere's is because you have stated many times that you do not have Meniere's. 

Also, you say that you have been to world famous, top notch doctors in both Canada and the US and you report that although they do not know what your problem is, they have ruled out Meniere's.  You say you completely trust and believe in these doctors and often quote them in you posts when you are trying to explain why you think a particular person doesn't have Meniere's, based on what these doctors have told you.

You claim you can will away your symptoms by positive thinking or getting involved in an activity such as hockey.  I think this isn't the case with most people suffering with Meniere's.  I know I feel just as miserable when I'm doing something I enjoy as when I am not.

You have also stated many times that a person who suffers with dizzyness on a daily basis, as you did (or do), does not have Meniere's.

And lastly, you have stated time and time again that one does not have Meniere's if they don't have the four classic symptoms of vertigo lasting for at least 20 minutes, ear fullness, tinnitus and hearing loss.  I know you have tinnitus, but what about the other three?  I don't remember you ever saying you have suffered a vertigo attack.  If you have not had vertigo, I think you don't understand what lengths a person will go to to keep it from happening again.  It is a really horrific thing. 

So, there are some reasons why a person might assume you don't have Meniere's.

I don't minimize your suffering.  If you choose to not take a drug that is safe in small doses to maybe help ease your symptoms, that choice is yours and yours alone.  Just as it is the choice of others to use valium to help maintain some sort of normal life. 

Star

10. groovemastergreg

groovemastergreg New Member

No anger. I just prefer to take my medical and medications advice from a doctor.

11. dizzie_rascal

dizzie_rascal New Member

There's a lot of info online about benzo's. How they work. Their addictiveness and how to withdrawal if you have become addicted.

I don't mean to sound anti-Valium. Just warning about potential dangers of long term benzo use - which is a drug designed for temporary NOT long term treatment.

Actually, my doc didn't tell me anything about Valium and on the script it says take 5mg a day. I only take it whenever I get ear fullness.

Addiction is a different topic all together but I have a lot of experience with addiction so I say the prudent thing is to at least research and learn about the (addictive) drugs if you choose to take them.

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

Every time we put medicine into our body there will be negative and hopefully positive chemical reactions. Each body is wired differently; some people are more addictive prone than others. Our brains are wired differently and what may make one person addicted or prone to addiction does not make another person addicted. There is a huge difference between chemical addiction and psychological addiction. I've seen clients/patients who were chemically addicted to drugs such as valius, xanax, etc...and I've also seen people psychologically dependent upon medications that yielded no sound chemical dependency - they needed the medicine to function - not their body but their mind needed it - they thought they couldn't function without taking this medicine - they would go into physical and real withdrawals from medications that yielded no addictive potential - I understand what Nassman is saying (hi nass :)).

I've seen clients/patients take medications that no longer had any effect on their body but their mind demanded it. I've seen people detox from valium and other meds and it is a horrible site to witness. Just because a person takes valium does not mean they will become addicted. Addiction comes in many shapes and forms. I found those who had addictive personalties or traits had the potential to become addicted to anything. .
    I use the benzo drugs very sparingly; they have their purpose. But the longer we take a medication the more our body builds up a theuraputic (sp) window and our body will be immune to the dose and we will have to increase the dose for effectiveness. For every action theres a reaction; and long term usage of anything can become tiresome on the body and soul. That is why we must strive to be healthier; eat right, drink water, exercise to the best of our ability, etc.

I believe in the natural approach; if you can afford it and comprehend it. But be careful some herbs are dangerous if taken in wrong amounts and with other herbs...there's lots of good books on the net and in stores for natural medicines; but please remember there are still risks with natural medicines...

If a person chooses to take benzos or any other medications, it is there choice, they should not be guilted. As long as the person knows the risks and the benefits clearly out weighs the risk, than their decision should be respected and honoured. Thru the years I've seen people take anti anxiety and anti depressants and be guilted or shamed by their friends and family members. What people (looking on the outside) fail to see; is that in some cases, normal life, is not possible withoug taking medications. But in retrospect; meds such as benzos are intended for short term usage for most effectiveness. Long term usage should be monitored by physicians.

13. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

hey nassman what big doctors have you seen in Canada......That could be Intresting Since I am in Canada And do you have Meniers or not Just curious

14. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

I hope I don't get bashed here,but I believe it depends alot on why you are taking the benzo.I,speaking from my own experiance was taking it for mm.Started it in October of last year and always said if I end up needing more then 6mgs I will not take it anymore.Some days I would'nt need it at all and sometimes I have to go weeks taking it.I started to feel like the valium was making me feel worse after awhile and not helping as much because I was probably needing a higher dose.I have not taken it in 7 days and I am o.k.Not to say it's o.k for everyone to just stop it,but I did and so far so good.I feel better....I think.The daily dizzies are not as bad and I don't feel foggy or exhausted.I was not into taking it and affraid of the addiction tendencies.I will now only take it for severe dizziness or vertigo at the sign of an attack.I was trying to ward off the daily dizzies with it.
    There are people who take benzos to feel good or relieve stress.My mother in laws friend had a problem with it years ago.Her kids were monsters and she started it to just deal.She ended up uping and uping her dose and went through hell coming off.I think if we take it for medical reasons like mm,we know what it can do and it's not like we want to take it,but need to.I am sure there are people here who have had reactions to coming off it,but for the most part I really believe it's how you use the drug or WHY you are taking it.
    I personally didn't like the out of it feeling.If I need it again,will I take it?Absolutly!
    FYI....before stopping it I did call the pharmacist and Dr and asked if I could just stop it and was told yes by both.I was concerned I should wean off it,but took their advice and 7 days later I am okay.
    This is just my thought on valium :)

15. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

hey i pmed you luckys wife lol

16. Terri-Lee

Terri-Lee New Member

Have taken valerian root in capsule form in past for work-related stress. My Sister-in-law told me to take a capsule 1/2 hour before going into stressful meetings/sessions that I would be facilitating. I found it worked nicely in those instances ... but had never thought about it as a way to counter menieres symptoms. From what most are saying, it could have a calming effect but not one that necessarily reduces symptoms.

17. nassman

nassman Guest

I have seen Dr. Rutka at Toronto General Hospital, Dr. Lorne Parnes at Western University Hospital, and Dr. Chen at Sunnybrook Hospital. All are highly regarded neurotologists.

I have not been told that I have meniere's but I do have various fluctuating meniere's-type vestibular symptoms as well as other non-vestibular symptoms like migraines.

Meniere's is very difficult to diagnose. I am satisfied at the fact that these top doctors (as well as Dr. Brackmann in Los Angeles) did not simply throw the diagnosis of menieres hap-hazardly at me and rather, admitted that there are many people who they see that have unexplainable vestibular symptoms.

18. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

terri - having given this some thought - the problem with valerian root is that it's hard to control the dosage - so you're not sure how much you are truly getting - it made my heart race like burd's and then get real low blood pressure - the cons with medicine/pharmaceutical (sp) is that the dosage is accurate - either way - I wish you well and peace

xoxo

oh: chamomile, pepperming, tea with sweetened milk, all have calming affects on me - teas are wonderful to calm the spirit

19. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

Nasman all were in toronto......Doctors here anyway don;t like to dx Meniers..or say its meniers for some reason...there are so many things Meniers is just another name for when they can't find anything else wrong with you so there are so many things it can be that is Y we are all so different with this disease my bil has it to he call it munure Like horse munure But his last episode was three yrs ago for a whole year he had it on and off......then nothing mind you he said the other day he had to go home his ear was blocked and he was feeling dizzy........My only concern right now is the balance I have lost......I wonder if I can get that back...

20. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

Once an ENT told me that Valium will make me feel worse. But when I feel like SH@#T I take it and it helps, it doesn't dissapear the vertigo but slows it down at the point where I don't throw up and if I stay calm looking at one thing I feel ok, and I keep taking it because to me its my "saver"