Thai Basil????

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by SMRoz, Jun 9, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

I was at a local garden center the other day and they had Herb Plants out so I decided to mosy on by them and see what the fuss was about. First off I am not a big gardener. Helped my father when I was younger and grow a few things here and there but have a huge intrest in eating and cooking. I ran across a large area with Basil as the sign. Upon looking I was Lemon, Lime, Cinamon and Thai basil. I love the smell and taste of it.

I am just cuirous if anyone has tried it before and knows any creative ways to use it? I also purchased Lemon and Lime basil and all the plants are growing HUGE already.

I might mix the lemon and lime basil to make Sprite Basil.. Who knows :p

2. jrw

jrw New Member

Check out google for "thai basil recipe". It's got quite a few links. Only used the regular basil myself.

You can easily dry it, preferably before it blooms for maximum flavor, by hanging it upside down in a dry location. Once dry, pull off the leaves and put in an air tight can. Voila, basil all winter long.

3. SMRoz

Thank you. I just have to figure out what it looks like when its ready to eat. Yahoo search here I come. Though it smells great.

4. SMRoz

I am in love with my Thai Basil. This stuff is wonderful. A little goes a long way and has tons of flavor....If you can find it use it

5. acujen

acujen New Member

SMRoz, you have daily dizziness and are able to be a coast guard?? Amazing!

6. SMRoz

They are in the process of removing me from service... Its just a long and tedious process.

7. acujen

acujen New Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe when you get your symptoms under control you can go back?

8. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Love the stuff.....I eat at a Thai place were they make pork in a sause that is amaising but the fresh basil is what makes it great. They, serve it on a bed of cabbage.

9. SMRoz

Thank you. The truth is that the Coast Guard is scaling back a lot of people already so they are happy to get rid of people. I am saving somone else their job. I still plan on volunteering in the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

It it wonderful when its fresh. I have a little flowerbed in the front of my house (3'X3') that I use to grow it. It smells great when you walk in the front drive.

10. karenlr

karenlr New Member

I will have to raid the garden center, I have a bay window in my kitchen where I can grow herbs.
    I love experimenting with different herbs so this sounds like fun.

11. SMRoz

It is a lot of fun. My tastebuds thank me.

12. SMRoz

Its been getting really cold so I am going to have to pull my herbs out of the garden and dry them out. I have spent the last 20 min looking for ways to do it so I can use them over the next year or so.