Taking a poll, please join in

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Henrysullivan, Feb 5, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I hope everyone will take a couple of minutes to answer the following questions, and answer this thread only once. When the thread wears out, I will total the responses hoping to give us some meaningful data by which to continue to fight the disorders we have. The reason I am taking this pole is that from reading so many of these posts, I am not sure that Meniere's has the same definition across the board. That is important because if, say, your symptoms are different than mine, chances are the causes may be different as well. And for that reason, what works to help me may or may not work for you and vice versa. My impression is that some MD's have lumped any number of varying disorders under the heading of Meniere's. Perhaps there is really a Meniere'r Types I, II, II and so on, each type resulting in somewhat different symptoms and reacting to different treatments.

Fortunately for me, so far there is nothing idiopathic about what I have. The symptoms are predictable, the timing is predictable and the results from chiropractic adjustment are predictable. Because of this predictablity, I have been able to construct a model that explains my malady and why chiropratic fixes it. I have been told that I have Meniere's; but who knows, I may have something different than Dr. Meniere had in mind. Then again it might be you that has something different. I hope the data I collect can help to differentiate the symptoms in the ultimate hope of differentiating and identifying the causes.

I have arranged the questions into two catagories. The first should be answered by folks who are only diagnosed with Meniere's and nothing else. The second catagory is for folks who are diagnosed with more disorders than just Meniere's. Of course, I'm doing this in an effort to segregate the symptoms of various other disorders from the symptoms of Meniere's. Only by doing so can I hope to get meaningful data. The more folks who answer, the more a chance the results will be meaningful.

Important!!!***Please place the number of the question before each answer.

Hank

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM?
    2- How long have you had MM?
    3- Have you had surgery?
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery?
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes?
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles?
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus?
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles?
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis?
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments?

Diagnosis-Meniere’s and other related disorders only

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with?
    12- How old were you when diagnosed with MM?
    13- How long have you had MM?
    14- How long have you had the related diagnosis?
    15- Have you had surgery?
    16- If surgery, what kind of surgery?
    17- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes?
    18- If 16 is yes, how long between cycles?
    19- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus?
    20- If 18 is yes, how long between cycles?
    21- Do you have other symptoms with MM or your related diagnosis?
    22- If 20 is yes, what are those symptoms? Do they cycle or are they continuous?
    23- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis?
    24- If 23 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments?

2. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Re: Taking a pole, please join in

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? Dx'd at 12 by Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
    2- How long have you had MM? 26 years.
    3- Have you had surgery? NO
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? N/A
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? YES
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? DAILY
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? NO
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles?N/A
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? YES
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? NO

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with? TMJ
    12- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 12 YEARS OLD
    13- How long have you had MM? 26 YEARS
    14- How long have you had the related diagnosis? 10 YEARS
    15- Have you had surgery? NO
    16- If surgery, what kind of surgery? NO
    17- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? YES
    18- If 16 is yes, how long between cycles? DAILY
    19- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? NO
    20- If 18 is yes, how long between cycles? N/A
    21- Do you have other symptoms with MM or your related diagnosis? NO
    22- If 20 is yes, what are those symptoms? Do they cycle or are they continuous?
    23- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? YES
    24- If 23 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? NO

3. minnesotadizzy

minnesotadizzy New Member

MM only

1. 46 yrs old
    2. Un-sure (started 16 yrs ago)
    3. No
    4. NA
    5. Yes
    6. Daily
    7. No
    8. NA
    9. No
    10. NA

4. SpinininOhio

SpinininOhio New Member

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? mid forties
    2- How long have you had MM? six years
    3- Have you had surgery? no
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? all
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? varies
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus?
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? yes
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments?
    vertigo and overall dizziness improved, tinnitus, recruitment, fullness - some improvement

I was dx with Meniere's (only) by three ENTs and one otoneurologist... HOWEVER - two never did any testing beyond cursory exam and just accepted the dx I (ignorantly) supplied by taking along office notes from previous doctor (stupidly thinking it would save any retesting - however it just gave them an easy dx without additional testing). I was never adequately tested for MAV or fistula or deheisence. I know I have chiari malformation from an MRI done for a different reason, but none of the docs ever had an MRI done or brought up chiari, even though it can totally mimic Meniere's. Only one did allergy testing, but only because I demanded it.

I want to state that while I have gotten great relief from nucca, it is part of an overall regimen that includes muscle work, DIET, careful use of supplements, lifestyle change, and possibly allergy therapy. I did not get full relief until I put all pieces in place, and still have clustered mini vertigo attacks that have gotten increasingly milder as I go through an allergy elimination diet.

SpinininOhio

5. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 35
    2- How long have you had MM? Since 17
    3- Have you had surgery? No
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? NO
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? Yes
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? Varies, usually 1 month
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? No, I wish
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? Yes
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? NO

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with?
    17- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes?
    24- If 23 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments?

6. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 26
    2- How long have you had MM? 32 years
    3- Have you had surgery? NO
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? NONE
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? YES (and hearing loss)
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? tinnitus 24/7, vertigo and fullness several months when vertigo was active; in vertigo remission since 2003 (possible burnout)
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? NO
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles? N/A
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? YES

7. Adri_onboard

Adri_onboard New Member

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with? BBPV insuline resistance POS
    12- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 27 years old
    13- How long have you had MM? 18 years
    14- How long have you had the related diagnosis? since I remember (diagnosed when I was 15)
    17- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? YES
    18- If 16 is yes, how long between cycles? N/A
    19- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? NO (I have them all)
    20- If 18 is yes, how long between cycles? N/A
    21- Do you have other symptoms with MM or your related diagnosis? headache (with positional vertigo episodes), blurry vision, fatigue
    22- If 20 is yes, what are those symptoms? Do they cycle or are they continuous? (My ear fullnes and tinnitus are continuos, my vertigo episodes are usually every couple years)
    23- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? NO
    24- If 23 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? N/A

[/quote]

8. kristy

kristy New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- 26
    2- Probably about 8 years.
    3- No
    4- Not applicable.
    5- Yes
    6- I have tinnitus 24/7, fullness sporadically, and vertigo 2 or 3 times a year. Every 6 months or so.
    7- No
    8- Not applicable.
    9- No, but I plan to very soon.
    10- Not applicable

9. burd

burd New Member

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? mid 20's, went away back then, came back early 40's
    2- How long have you had MM? First run lasted about 6 months, this time, 2.5 years, and 2 years prior with chronic dizziness
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? yes
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? doesn't cycle. Minor symptoms fluctuate every day. Maojor symptoms brought on by enviromental triggers
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? no, regardless of tinnitus and vertigo attacks, the tinnitus is 24/7
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? no, took your test, and I'm all lined up

Here's a few things to round out the picture:
    My mom has meniere's in the same ear as mine, just not as sensitive and severe, her symptoms are different and set off by different offenders. Hers started in her early 40's, this time around for me the same age.
    In my 20's, it came on entirely due to increasing dairy allergy, cleared up completely with avoiding dairy in all forms. Dairy still is a problem now, but this time meniere's came on due to air particulates, dust and dustmites, fragrances, chemical odors, new materials off-gassing, industrial off-gassing, smoke from anything burning, pollens, etc.
    To control those things is to control my meniere's.

10. lookout

lookout New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 30 years
    2- How long have you had MM? 22 years
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? n/a
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? yes
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? sometimes years...sometime months
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? no
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? yes
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? yes..still have tinnitus but way less headaches & overall fullness reduction...no vertigo..motion sick and sometimes dizzy feeling.

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with?At this time my new doc is re-doing test and doesn't think thus far it MM...maybe MAV...we shall see

[/quote]

11. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 48
    2- How long have you had MM? almost 6 years
    3- Have you had surgery? yes
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? cochlear implant - no surgery for MM
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? Used to have all these symptoms, but vestibular system is mostly dead so no more vertigo, still have roaring tinnitus, aural fullness, and disequilibrium, 100% hearing loss in both ears
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? 24/7
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? always had all 4 classic symptoms - vertigo, tinnitus, hearing loss, aural fullness - from onset bilateral
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles? 24/7 on all except vertigo which was episodic in clusters
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? yes - 2 DCs
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? no

12. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Getting some great feedback on this. Keep it coming!

Hank

13. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with? Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, BPPV
    12- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 35
    13- How long have you had MM? about 15 years
    14- How long have you had the related diagnosis? E-tube dysfunction 15 years - BPPV about 3 years
    16- If surgery, what kind of surgery? --
    17- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? Yes
    18- If 16 is yes, how long between cycles? it varies
    19- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? No
    20- If 18 is yes, how long between cycles? --
    21- Do you have other symptoms with MM or your related diagnosis? Yes
    22- If 20 is yes, what are those symptoms? Do they cycle or are they continuous? Off balance - "seasick" they cycle
    23- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? Yes
    24- If 23 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? Yes

14. Isis_M

Isis_M New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 20
    2- How long have you had MM? just short of 36 years
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? shunt surgery, both ears
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? I used to. I haven't had full-blown vertigo in years. I have the fullness/fluctuating hearing from time to time, and the tinnitus to some degree at all times. Intensity of tinnitus varies.
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? N/A
    7- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? No
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles? NA
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? No
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? N/A

15. dghawk

dghawk New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 42
    2- How long have you had MM? 20 years
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? NA
    5- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? Yes
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? weeks to several months, varies

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with? asthma, allergies, hormonal issues
    12- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 42
    13- How long have you had MM? 20
    14- How long have you had the related diagnosis? 5 years
    15- Have you had surgery? no
    17- Do you have all of these symptoms: tinnitus, cycling ear fullness, vertigo episodes? Yes
    18- If 16 is yes, how long between cycles? weeks to months
    19- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? no
    21- Do you have other symptoms with MM or your related diagnosis? yes
    22- If 20 is yes, what are those symptoms? Do they cycle or are they continuous? allergies, congestion, asthma
    23- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? No

16. debin

debin New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 49
    2- How long have you had MM? 8 months
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery?----
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? 2 to 3 months
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles?----
    9- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? no
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? ---

17. lillyrose

lillyrose Life is short live it not diet.

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 52
    2- How long have you had MM? 3 years
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery?----
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? Was diagnosed in 2004, I had no symptoms for two years then they started
    again in 2006 and still with me.
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles?----
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic -----

18. basket lady

basket lady New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 46
    2- How long have you had MM? dx 2 years - suspected 4
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery?N/A
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? tinnitus, ear fullness, dizziness - daily Vertigo 4 -5 days a week
    8- If 7 is yes, how long between cycles? N/A
    10- If 9 is yes, have you improved after beginning upper cervical chiropractic treatments? N/A

11- Along with Meniere’s what other related disorders have you been diagnosed with? Possible Vestibular Migraines
    12- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 46
    13- How long have you had MM? dx 2 years - suspect 4
    14- How long have you had the related diagnosis? 2 years
    15- Have you had surgery? No
    16- If surgery, what kind of surgery? N/A
    18- If 16 is yes, how long between cycles? Tinnitus/Earfullness 24/7 - vertigo 4 -5 days a week
    19- Do you have only ear fullness and vertigo without tinnitus? No
    21- Do you have other symptoms with MM or your related diagnosis? Yes
    22- If 20 is yes, what are those symptoms? Do they cycle or are they continuous? Nausea, fatigue, headaches, unsteadiness, blurred vision, brain fog
    23- Have you seen an upper cervical chiropractor since your MM diagnosis? no

19. jeanniebw

jeanniebw New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 28 and now again at 51
    2- How long have you had MM? 23 years on and off
    4- If surgery, what kind of surgery? in 1984 - Endolymphatic shunt
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? weeks to several months, varies

20. MMwife

MMwife New Member

Diagnosis-Meniere’s only

I'm answering for my hubby.

1- How old were you when diagnosed with MM? 50
    2- How long have you had MM? about three years, not sure. Didn't know what was happening at first.
    6- If 5 is yes, how long between cycles? tinnitus 24/7, ear fullness and vertigo episodes, from one week to months. Some hearing loss.