Suicide, has anyone ever contemplated it as an end to this "BEAST" Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Mar 26, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

Brownrecluse, I wish you some happiness. Some times it comes unexpected, out of nowhere. But you have to be open to it. I know some people who have many blessings but can't see them because they aren't the blessings they had planned and only the plan matters to them. I hope something you can like comes your way.

But I don't mean to be cavalier about your pain. I wish you comfort.

2. Conker

Conker Guest

You don't know me. You don't even know the person that you seem to think i am. I do know him, and when he said 50%, he really meant 95%. You still don't get it though, do you?

3. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I'm thinking about people who have illness that have dramatically changed their lives, and still manage to find a will, and a reason to live. People who's quality of life changed dramatically.

Christopher Reeves
    Mohammad Ali
    Michael J. Fox
    Wounded Warriors with amputated limbs
    Those just come to mind quickly.
    Anyone can find purpose and meaning to life, if they want to.

4. June-

June- New Member

Gina, no one knows what anyone else is dealing with. We think we do but we don't.

5. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I just made a random post based on what I read.
    I don't claim to know what anyone is dealing with.
    I do know that there are a lot of people worse off than I am, and for that I am very grateful.

6. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Suicide is an incredibly confronting subject.

Personally, I believe a person's body and life is sovreign and this includes the right to end that life in a manner of each person's own choosing. No-one can ever know how much pain another person is enduring and I don't believe in judging someone if they feel they can no longer continue to live.

I also feel that when people are struggling with a ferocious illness and they are looking for support from their peers they should be able to discuss anything, even the darkest and most painful subjects.

7. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Brownrecluse - thank you for your honesty. Comforting thoughts and prayers of strength and courage are for you.

Having vertigo to the extreme - in my darkest moments, I have thought about suicide but would not do so because of my belief system and my children. However, thinking/writing about suicide is totally different than acting upon it.

8. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

As you mention here, you have reasons for living. Thank you for choosing life. :) We never know when/how someone will reach out for help so we should be cautious of saying the wrong thing. We should not let suicide rob us of better times that will come our way. The key to preventing suicide is to listen.

Do not keep suicidal thoughts to yourself! Hugs!

9. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

Thanks to all of you who responded to my cri de coeur. To Intrepid--I am not ADVOCATING suicide. Quite the reverse. I was saying, find a reason for living, and live. When that reason goes, if you have no other reason left, it is not a bad thing to choose to leave honorably, and as painlessly as possible. I am a Navy brat. I am hard wired with some key values, among them duty, honor, dignity, country. I am not a coward. Despite my illness, I was lucky enough to have planned well when young so that I STILL provide for my family, despite nearly ten years of enforced retirement. We are not 1%ers, but we are probably 5%ers, using the current rubric.

Some of you here live my life or worse. Most of you do not. I worked demonically hard to succeed before MM hit me, and I succeeded. I have the greatest wife any man could want, and I keep living for her. We are both ill, and frail, but BOTH of us fight to live, to work (in her case), so as to leave our daughters something to survive in this hideous economy when we pass. But we are realists, too. Is it unfair or wrong on THIS forum to suggest there are tipping points? I think not, and many of you obviously agree. Do I do everything I can to fend off this ailment? I do. As an aside, a high school classmate just recommended that I check out some Shaklee products, which I am doing. I will go anywhere, try anything, to subdue the monster that we have.

Recognize that, Intrepid. Do not condemn what you obviously cannot understand. I will leave it at that.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You miss my point entirely.

What you do with your life is entirely your business. Nowhere do I say you should or should not take your life nor do I judge you for it. More importantly, I do not say or imply anywhere that you are ADVOCATING suicide.

What I do say is that describing how you will take your life should your wife predecease you can be disturbing to those who are already in a fragile state of mind. Recognize that, Brownrecluse.

11. freckles

freckles New Member

I will be honest here and admit that I have contemplated suicide, I have also asked God to take me and I did have everything ready to do it. BUT and it is a big BUT...I never went through with it, I am greatful I didn't, some people in this forum know how severe my MM is and it is one thing I would never wish on my worst enemy. What I did was I went to a psycologist and I advice anyone from the moment they are dx with Meniere's to go seek counselling because this will help when you do have your dark moments. Depression and mental illness is the reason, MM just compounds on depression.

I have been through alot in my 41 yrs of life and this is the first time I am going to share this with everyone, I was neglected by my mother emotionally as a child & abused by my father, suffered severely in my first marriage with domestic violence, survived cancer 4 times and am battling depression and fighting MM. I am still here and fighting and I will continue to fight even when I feel at my lowest. One thing I think that also helps me through all this is I find things that make me happy and I think that is another key thing to do along with counselling, and don't worry if you may think it silly...if it makes you happy do it, as old as I am things that make me happy are my Budgies (Parakeets), I collect Harry Potter things (next items I'm getting are replicas of the characters wands), I do large jigsaws and frame them, these are things that make me happy, just search inside to what makes you happy and talk to a professional for your down times.

In Australia, if you can't find any counsellors in your area call lifeline 131114 and they can guide you in the right direction and they will also listen too!

12. June-

June- New Member

I am in awe of your persistence and will to live a good life, freckles. I don't suffer what you have been through but I am what I call a cheap thrill too. I can find pleasure in very small things. We who can do that are lucky ones.

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Recluse and Freckles are heroes!

14. jaypr

jaypr New Member

I thought this forum was to help people who want to try and improve their quality of life by learning from people who have had a degree of success in managing their particular condition.

The topic of suicide belongs elsewhere. It is negative and in my opinion is selfish. I can live with a death in my family but I would find it hard to deal with a suicide of someone close to me. I would never commit suicide as I care too much about my children and siblings and would not dare to ruin the rest of their lives.

15. bertito

bertito The greatest composer who ever lived.

Suicide is a selfish "solution" to someone's problems because it only meets his/her needs and ignores the pain that this will cause to others.

This is only my honest and sincere opinion. If suicide is a solution to some, I respect their decision.

Bert.

16. June-

June- New Member

I would want everyone - those considering suicide and those not - to know that their lives are important and meaningful to others whether they are aware of it at the time or not. Also that they are unique and as important as any other creature God put on this earth. Their worth is not measured in dollars of income they generate or whether the life they live is like everyone else's. By virtue of having been created, they have value and always will.

Often we do not know that a solution to our problem is around the corner. We can't see the future.

At the same time, I could never invalidate the pain and anguish people suffer and dictate to them what is the proper response. Sometimes knowing we have options is all we need to pick up and go on, but it's not good to make the option of opting out so easy for someone in a dark moment. It may seem to them like they are being pushed that way at that moment. I think we do need to think carefully about not only the message we are trying to send but the message that may be received which is ultimately the only one that counts.

17. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I agree. However, since most people in this world especially the USA are measured by their material and monetary worth it is no wonder that people feel less than when they are ill and suffer and unable to make a fine dollar and or monies. It is sad though, that people have died/suicide because of the money it would leave their family. I hope and pray, Lord willing, that no amount of money would ever be worth more than a mother's (parent's) love, guidance, and wisdom. Money does not solve problems, love, understanding, and just being there for your child does. Having lost my mother at a young age, I can honestly tell you nothing and I mean nothing takes away the loneliness and empty feeling that she occupied. I pray that, as June said, people know just how valuable they truly our. Not just in money but in worth and a precious being....

18. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

well spoken June!

In my previous work experience, I dealt with suicide and attempted suicide. Both left family members feeling destroyed, suicide, left a huge and I mean huge stain on the family members who were left behind. The person who committed suicide had left a huge burden on his family and some even questioned their reason for 'continuing on' in this life. These were the same people he thought his demise would actually help ease their burdens and yet these loved ones seriously wondered what now were reasons to continue with life. The immediate aftermath of suicide is not pretty - nor glamorous it was ugly and dark.

Point blank - nothing was solved only more problems were created.

Choose life! It may not seem like much but it all we have. I understand the brain's want and desire to try and find solutions for chronic and disabling illnesses and pain. The brain will work fervently to find a solution to end this pain and to find relief/release and and for some this is where the formulation of suicide comes in. The brain solves the problem by terminating the life, however, these thought usually occur at our darkest moments and nothing in these thoughts are sane regardless of how the brain interprets them. When my brain overworks in these dark period, I have learned to listen to my heart, gut , and my spirit....life it whispers...life it keeps repeating itself.

As I said earlier talking and writing about it is one thing, the act is totally different.

Many blessings and prayers.

19. survivedit

survivedit New Member

After I went bilateral I thought about suicide constantly for almost 2 1/2 years. I finally went to a counselor and told her the whole story. She didn't hesitate after listening to it all and told me, "You don't want suicide. What you want is relief".

She could not have been more right and that is my mantra to this day.

Now I work towards finding relief and the thoughts of suicide are long gone.

20. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

exactly survivedit!