Suicide, has anyone ever contemplated it as an end to this "BEAST" Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Mar 26, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. hoot

hoot New Member

:) :)whatever you do: DON'T GIVE UP! I was dx in 1978 . left ear, 70% hearing loss, steady ringing ever since. the first year i had severe vertigo around 2 times per month, lasting from 4 to 6 days . finally was air flighted to mayo clinic [st. marys hosp] after 8 days i was released and put on lipoflavinoid. this worked for me quite well. one severe attack 8wks later. only severe attack since 1978 . still have mild vertigo and that constant annoying ringing. in the last five years i have had cancer, heart problems, I have had many GOOD years since my first bout with menier's . my greatest fear is a repeat of 1978. but the good days by far outweigh the bad. SO KEEP FIGHTING THE BATTLE & I THINK [AND PRAY ] YOU WILL GET TO HAVE THOSE GOOD DAYS. HOOT

2. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Wow moogs,that's a strong one.

3. roselee

roselee New Member

I have told my husband often that if he wanted to get rid of me just put a loaded gun next to me when I am having one of my attacks.
    I wouldn't have a problem pulling the triger when it's happening.

4. JasonB

JasonB New Member

For me I would have to say it has crossed my mind for a split second once or twice, but I know I could NEVER do that to the people I care about. My best friend's little brother committed suicide about 3.5 years ago. I've been to many funerals in my life, but that was by far that worst I've ever seen. The horrible aftermath of that one action on his family and friends is beyond words. It completely destroyed his family.

5. Conker

Conker Guest

My doctor told me about 10% of his really bad cases off themselves eventually.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Geez, dude! Seriously? Is that even something to post on a forum where some are feeling so helpless from their symptoms? You just told a poster today who mentioned suicide to get help and now you post this?

7. Conker

Conker Guest

I didn't say it was a good thing. If anything, those numbers are a warning to seek help immediately if that feeling arises.

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Suicide: I think about it all the time when I get my spouses credit card bill every month!

In all honesty, I would rather get a laby or double laby if it was that bad. Put me in a wheelchair and give me my freedom and independence. No vestibular function means no dizziness/vertigo. I would choose that over suicide any day.

If a dr knew his patients were knocking themselves off he should just take their ears away and stop the spinning for them.

9. Conker

Conker Guest

Bulldogs, i agree with you. I'd do the double laby first as well.

But doctors can't make those decisions for people. In fact, most doctors won't do the double laby even if asked.

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I don't see why not, I mean won't mm eventually destroy the balance anyway.

Why spend 20 years letting your ear commit suicide, I would rather just take it out back and shoot it.

There are plenty of people on this forum with no vestibular function who live pretty normal lives, nobody can live a normal life with active mm.

I just got a laby on Monday and wish I did it after my first attack.

11. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

I think about it every day. It walks with me like an old friend, whispering, this can all stop. Painlessly. Easily.

And my wife knows this. And I have promised her that so long as she lives, so will I, because I love her, and she oddly seems to love me too. Despite my increasing detachment, constant irascibility, hatred of talking, need for peace and quiet (she is Greek, so having to be quiet is like being in hell for her.) I persevere BECAUSE of her, and pretty much for no other reason. And yes, if you are a victim of really severe Meniere's, as I am, it is a legitimate option.

I will add this: I have made a stunted, truncated life out of what Meniere's has left me. Should the almost impossible happen, and my wife predecease me, I will calmly but clearly state that I would take whatever time I needed to put my financial affairs in order to protect our daughters, lay out all relevant documents on our dining room table, spend a week eating and drinking whatever I wanted (I'm looking at YOU, Palm's Restaurant lobster, sautéed mushrooms and onion rings, a good Chateau Lafite Rothschild and a very old Armagnac.) I would then prepare a very hot, salty bath, send a delayed email to my three daughters, take that armagnac or a great old single malt scotch with me, slide in the bath tube with a new Exacto knife, and stab my femoral artery, while watching a treasured movie like "Gettysburg" on my iPad, as my life ebbed away. I see no dishonor in this. I would leave my daughters with decent inheritances, free myself from a narrow, miserable life, and even leave a minimal mess. And as an atheist, it would truly be an ultimate choice.

I do not write this to encourage anyone to commit suicide. I DO write it to tell those who choose it not to consume themselves with guilt. And if further bolstering is needed, for suicide or, ironically, for soldiering on, as I have decided to do, I really recommend reading the "Meditations" of the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, or maybe the Buddhist Dhammapada, though that has a greater impact if you are more knowledgeable about Buddhism in general.

12. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

This is only my opinion!

I believe suicide to be a most selfish act when you are leaving behind children.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You want to die? Die privately. This post does not belong on a forum where some people are struggling to live with will and determination.

Your post is extremely irresponsible. You have no business detailing how you would commit suicide on a forum where several members toy with the idea in their minds every day yet find the strength to hang on.

14. Conker

Conker Guest

Brownrecluse, i respect your choice of method, but i would make it look like an accident to avoid life insurance issues for the kids (if i had any).

MM is not enough to drive me to suicide. I've had a taste of worse. With MM, you get breaks where you can catch your breath. There are worse things where you get no breaks.

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Recluse has a right to sy what he wants, I respect that.

I would use a gun, not a knife though.

Recluse speaks the Truth and that is all that matters, he has stated he has decided to to soldier on, that says a lot as well, he loves his wife!

16. Conker

Conker Guest

This is exactly where his post belongs. You don't get to dictate what is reality for others or control their thoughts or where they post them.

Actually, i think his post is very helpful in multiple ways, although he may not have intended that.

1) I appreciate that my MM isn't so bad, and that i can soldier on

2) If my MM got that bad, i'd do what bulldogs did.

3) If i was to choose euthenasia, then i wouldn't feel any guilt about it (admittedly, this is something i knew prior to his post).

Etc

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Everyone has the right to say whatever they want, choose the avatar they want, hold the beliefs they want.

That doesn't give them the right to splash their words, pictures, ideas just anywhere. There is such a thing as responsibility towards others.

Suicide is a personal decision. I have nothing against it. I have no judgement towards those who choose it. A vivid description of how one will execute it does not belong on a forum like this one where many individuals work really hard at finding reasons to continue to live.

18. Conker

Conker Guest

Bulldogs, i think the gun option is risky. I've seen the results of misfires. Then you're worse off than before. A swerve and a drop over the New River Gorge guarantees the result you want.

19. Conker

Conker Guest

Intrepid, that's your opinion. Everyone has one. Life goes on. Pale blue dot, remember?

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

C - don't even go there. It's not like I don't know you.