Sugar

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by rottiesrule, Mar 1, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

I guess I'm confused about what sugar has to do with fluid in the ear. I'm a chocoholic and haven't succumbed in over a month. I'm doing the lo-so diet no problem, but I like sweets! I also found a way to continue eating sushi. I gave up the soy sauce completely and I use balsamic vinegar (sounds gross, tastes great) in the place of soy, and use the pickled ginger to help the flavor. So now I can have my raw salmon and not feel like I've given up everything I love.

2. tm53

tm53 New Member

Hi rottiesrule. I may be wrong but I think it's the caffiene in chocolate that is the issue. I don't seem to have any problem with white chocolate.

BTW, I too use balsamic vinegar.

3. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

I don't have headaches or dizzyness, so do I have to wory about the caffeine? And balsamic v inegar is the best. I use an organic vinegar and it's better than soy. Really brings out the flavor of the salmon.

4. KatiePA

KatiePA New Member

Great tip about the balsamic! I love love love sushi, looking forward to trying this one.

Katie (greyhoundsrule)

5. burd

burd New Member

Sugar shouldn't be a problem if it's really meniere's.

With chocolate it may be a caffeine issue if that has proven to be a problem with any caffeine, never blindly accept a food restriction without testing it for yourself when you are feeling a bit better overall.  Give it a few shots from different sources so that caffeine won't be blamed if it's something else you are injesting with the caffeine.  I was on a low sodium diet for over 3 years and it turns out I didn't need to be. My problem turned out to be mostly with food additives and a few food items instead. But I learned alot, eat healthier, and found some really awesome healthy foods.

Chocolate usually gets blamed for caffeine, but sometimes its not the caffeine in it that is the problem if a person has proven chocolate is causing the reaction.  It could be dairy products in the chocolate, it could be that chocolate contains theobromine and phenylethylamine, and these can cause problems for many.  Meniere's shouldn't be affected by that either, so if you do have a reaction consider checking into MAV and food intolerances.

If you have proven over and over again to not be affected by something you are told to avoid, then don't pay attention to that.  You know yourself better than anyone can, and there are no absolutes with any of this, be it meniere's, MAV, food intolerances, etc.

6. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Just remember that balsamic vinegar has sulfites in it...and if you're sensitive, this could be a trigger..... :-\

7. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Thank goodness I'm ok with balsamic vinegar. I don't get headaches at all, and I'm wondering if I could add sugar to my diet. I have the ear fullness, no vertigo or dizziness. Maybe I can add wheat back into my diet also. I've cut our everything except fresh fruits and veggies, and chicken. I don't eat red meat or pork anyway, so I don't miss that, but I love sweets!!

8. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

9. ConfusedNAnnoyed

ConfusedNAnnoyed New Member

Sugar in general is bad for the immune system at least to much of it. On Dr. Oz they stated that you should only consume 15-19g of sugar daily. Most people consume so much more than that daily, and if your going to treat Meniere's like it's being caused by the herpes virus alot of sugar and caffeine makes things worse. I've had luck with eating a diet with a high lysine ratio compared to arginine the amino acid you want to consume less of if it is the herpes virus. I also take the 3000mg of l lysine daily as advised by John Of Ohio I've been doing it for over 5 months now and things are better. You may also want to consider taking a multivitamin to keep the immune system strong. Best of luck!!!

10. Dizzybabe

Dizzybabe I love being called "Mommy"

WHIT CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!FOREAL!!!!!!!