SS thread locked

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Irelandman, Jan 3, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Fair enough.

This is the closest I could find in one minute:

http://www.innvista.com/health/ailments/earail/hearnutr.htm

"Researchers had to conclude that vitamin D deficiency is likely one of the causes [of hearing loss] and supplementation should be considered in persons with hearing loss. Vitamin D can be inhibited if there is also a magnesium deficiency. If there is a magnesium deficiency, this will also affect calcium intakes. As you can see, not just one nutrient can be isolated as being a cause or cure of something".

I remember seeing studies linking D deficency to vertigo as well, but what jumps out at me from the above quote (among many things) is the magnesium deficiency info, as my neurologist told me that magnesium deficiency is a cause of migraine disorder.

We already know that B12 deficiency symptoms include fluctuating hearing loss, dizziness/vertigo, and tinnitus.

Your question is a good one, and leads to another: why aren't there studies about vitamin deficiency and Meniere's symptoms?

Obviously, my first thought won't surprise anyone: there's not enough money to be made in the sale of vitamin supplements compared to the sale of medications, but it's likely that it's more complicated than that.

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Frankly ... I'm just sick of listening to you argue. It's exhausting.

When you come with an open mind and without all the answers then your posts will be more interesting and welcome.

3. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

It must be more complicated than that because the vitamin industry is certainly making a lot of money.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2009/10/megavitamins.html

4. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

No, that's not correct. Vitamin deficiency HAS been linked with MD. B12 deficiency has been linked causally with ALL MD symptoms, as I have posted many times before*. I also just posted that D deficiency is linked with MD symptoms as well, in several possible different ways.

Your post does not explain why you think there is no proof that vitamin D is causally linked with MD, nor why you believe vitamin deficiencies in general are not causally associated. In fact, the part you quoted supports the link: "A molecular mimicking event is, however, more than an epiphenomenon despite its low statistical probability of occurring and these events have serious implications in the onset of many human autoimmune disorders." That's very different from "addressing vitamin d deficiency for overall health," as you put it.

* This does NOT mean that all cases of MD are caused by B12 deficiency, or even by any vitamin deficiency. It means that, in all cases of MD, B12 deficiency and other vitamin deficiencies should be ruled out before a diagnosis of MD is given. We all know that that is NEVER the case.

5. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I don't think the vitamin industry's profits have anything to do with it. The pharmaceutical industry's profits, influence, political power, and marketing budget are lightyears beyond those of the vitamin industry.

The article you posted is very interesting--thanks for posting it!

6. Mystical Wombat

Mystical Wombat New Member

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

Yes, the internet is a wonderful place for finding 'evidence' to support ANY crackpot theory.

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Nice straw man...

8. Mystical Wombat

Fair comment, but really, would you be so kind as to keep your vitamin stuff in another thread? I think you have made your point. This thread is for the other chap.

Thank you very much.

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

The other chap stated that vitamin deficiencies do not cause immune dysfunction. Remember? I didn't bring it up, the other chap did.

What if the other chap is wrong?

Why are you so threatened by "vitamin stuff," anyway? If you think the studies I posted are incorrect, please explain why. Otherwise, why try to push me out?

First it's a straw man from you, then it's "you made your point, now stop posting here and go to another thread..."

10. Angelea

Angelea New Member

I thought you said, "This thread is for the other crap."

11. Mystical Wombat

Well, it's not that your vitamin theory doesn't make interesting reading, it's just that you have said it all before, and provided a useful resource, in another area of the forum.

Banging on about it here just provides unwanted noise in a thread where new concepts are being tabled.

For what it's worth, I read your stuff a year ago, and tried vitamin B12, though it had no effect on my symptoms. Thank you for posting anyway.

Plus, I find your posting style a little aggressive, and argumentative, however, we are all different, yes?

12. Mystical Wombat

Haha! Hello, Angelea! ;D

13. Angelea

Angelea New Member

OMG! I keep clicking on the link to stop being notified every time there's a post to this thread. But. They. Keep. Coming.

14. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Hello little Wombat fellow.

15. Mystical Wombat

I have a vision of a terrier, worrying an old boot.

16. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Lol!

Huh?

If you mean Theodore Chipmunk... then I get it. I think.

oops...

17. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I was watching old Kenny Everett clips on the Youtubes last night. This one seems somehow apropos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecsEAXNlfv0

18. Mystical Wombat

I think the terrier analogy was kinder, INS. Far be it for me to be rude to anyone.

Sherman tank... Hmmm. Quite a tank...quite a tank...

19. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I know. I was just on a bit of a Kenny Everett kick. I'd forgotton how funny he was.

20. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Taximom

You often say (correctly) that many other things mimic the symptoms of MM and all those things should be ruled out before a diagnosis of MM is made. What we all know from reading this forum is that many people are all too quickly and wrongly diagnosed with MM when in fact they have some other problem going on. For many people that turns out to be migraine (as we would expect when the incidence of migraine is upwards of 10% of the general population). Treat the migraine, hopefully the symptoms go away. In your case it was vitamin deficiencies - get the right amount of vitamins, symptoms go away. Therefore, you never had MM at all (rather MM-like symptoms). Are you also saying that for people who DO have an unequivically confirmed case of MM that vitamin deficiences may be also be the cause?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.