Sports thread!

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by bulldogs, Apr 13, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Shart: you nailed it.

I love minor league baseball, especially for the kids. Your like me, on a night without the kids the lady and I will go up and catch a game also. Sit behind the plate, talk, drink some soft drinks and eat popcorn for less than $30.00---- a great time!

Much better than the major league parks, both in terms of cost and fan friendly. I agree.

2. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Chad Johnson: smart move, roflmao, kiss your ass goodbye!

Leaving a receipt for condoms in your car and then head butting your of 45 days wife for getting upset. ------ now your gettin divorced and out of the NFL, over a receipt for condoms. Lmao!

3. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Well, after a two game skid, the Braves looked good tonight as Tim Hudson shuts down the Padres.

I feel the Nationals are going to be tough to beat down the stretch but I will stay up and watch them play the Giants tonight. ---- that's a big series and I am pulling for the Giants.

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Well, where do I start, History was made today on many fronts.

Felix Hernandez of the Seatle Mariners threw the 23rd perfect game in Major League Baseball History--- A sport that has been around for over 100 years.

He is also the first Mariner to throw a no-hitter much less a perfect game in the history of the franchise. They don't call him King Felix for nothing!

Some sad new to report: Melky Cabrera of the San Francisco Giants, the All Star MVP and potential league MVP candidate tested positive for Performance Enhancing Drugs (PED's) and got a 50 game suspension.

I think if you cheat the game you don't deserve to play at all--- suspension for life would be the wake up call these guys need.

Eating popcorn, watching the Braves, life is good.

5. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

After giving up an early home run, the Braves came back to record a 6-1 win over the San Diego Padres. Dan Uggla had the big hit--- a 3 run Home Run that gave the Braves the lead that they never relinquished.

The Problem is the Nationals keep winning and thus the Braves cannot close the gap, but they still lead the Wild Card Race.

Will now put on the Pipe a little and have a nice evening on the portch with the lady. Word has it now that the kids are in school all day every day, she is going back to work this January after the holidays.

Go Braves. Life is good!

6. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Actually you are incorrect on this fact. Two other Mariners have thrown no-hitters, Chris Bosio in 1993 & Randy Johnson in 1990.

Great job King Felix!!

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Sorry, I meant a perfect game and the first time in MLB history there have been 3 perfect games in a single season in the history of baseball.

23 perfect games ever in History and 3 were thrown this year in over a 100 years of major league baseball.

The question remains, will Ichiro get 3,000 hits and will Jeter make a run at Rose's all time hit record if he plays long enough?

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

As an avid sports fan I am very excited to know the Topps 2012 factory sealed complete set of NFL cards is coming out soon.

I have every complete set of baseball cards from Topps since 1970 (the year I was born) I started collecting the factory sealed complete sets of NFL cards since 2005 the year my son was born.

It started as a hobby and now has become a passion in the last few years. It is my goal to collect every Topps Baseball set ever produced since they started making them
    In 1952 I believe.

See you at the sports card show this weekend---perimeter mall area hotel if you live in the Atlanta area.

9. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Topps offered my son-in-law a job after he hacked their website! It was a very cool opportunity but he had already taken a position with the SF Giants in their IT office. Yeah, I'm kind of proud of him.

My son loves sports cards. He really loves the old players -- he's the only kid I know who knows who Johnny Unitas and Dick Butkus are. He cracks me up!

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Shart:

That is pretty cool, kids just don't collect and trade cards like they used too. Kind of sad.

I have almost 1.5 million baseball and football cards going back to the 40's.
    One whole room in my basement is dedicated to my hobby, filled with card boxes neatly organized by year and team.

I have a small online business dedicated to buying and selling cards. I stay up late into the night buying and selling cards after the kids are asleep through my site.

Good for your son.

11. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

He loves to go to this old card shop on the mall and talk business with the old guy there. He's pretty mature for his age and knows his stats, that's for sure. I tell him all the time if he put that much effort into his schoolwork he'd be an honor roll student! Fortunately for him, he's got a couple of friends who are also into cards. You're right, kids just aren't into that stuff anymore.

12. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Ok, ok, ok, I get it--- Bruce Harper is a decent player but he is in no way an All Star caliber player, and he is certainly not the rookie of the year for MLB. ------his stats are average at best.

Mike Trout is the man, he is putting together a year for the ages and not just for a rookie. Trout is a stud and his performance is far beyond the level of Harper.

Don't look now but Miguel Cabrera is putting together a possible run at the triple crown. He still has some work to do but it sure would be nice to see a triple crown winner in MLB. I have a feeling Josh Hamilton will turn it on and put out the flames for the triple crown.

It will be interesting to see what kind of contract Josh Hamilton signs next year as a free agent---- is he the best player in the game? Hmmm

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I meant Bryce. At the Braves game with Daaaavid, sorry for the typo.

14. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

What a night is was to be at the Braves game. A 6-0 shutout over the Padres, but that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I saw maybe the greatest 3rd baseman in the history of the game (Mike Schmidt and George Brett) belong in he conversation go yard twice. First ballot Hall of Famer Chipper Jones went yard in the first with a two run blast and again in the fifth for a solo shot. Truly a night to remember as the 2nd home run was hit number 2,700.

If he did not have so many injuries he last 5 years he would be well over 3,000 hits.

See you in Cooperstown Chipper.

Now sit in traffic, but Daaavid is driving so I will enjoy the conversation with a good friend and fellow baseball fan.

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

The Atlanta Braves have had a magnificent run. As my friend Daaaavid was saying as he has lived in Atlanta longer than I.

They had 3 Hall of Fame pitchers on a single staff for their careers (Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz) with two 300 game winners and maybe Smoltz if he did not spend years in the bullpen and Chipper which makes makes 4 first ballot Hall of Famers on a single team at one time, amazing.

Only the Cincinnati Reds may have had more with Pete Rose ( should be In the hall), Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tom Seaver, Tony Perez and Dave Comception (not sure about him). Hopefully George Foster will make it one day as well.

Nice to see my Baltimore Orioles doing well, leading the wild card race in the American League.
    (they were my team growing up in DC as the Nationals were still the Expos)

It sure would be nice to see the Braves and Orioles in a World Series for me, I would pull for the Braves.

16. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

The Reds lost to the Mets last night 4-8. It was an ugly game too......grrrrrr. I hope they can redeem themselves playing the Cubs today, tomorrow and Sunday. :)

17. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Wow, what a game. Down 3-1 going into the 8th the Bravea put together a rally to tie the game at 3-3 and the in the bottom of the 11th (extra innings) Juan Francisco singled in the winning run for the Braves to win 4-3------ A nice way to kick off Civil Rights Weekend here in Atlanta as well as the stretch run for the Braves. ----- Please don't collapse like last year.

My American league team the Baltimore Orioles lost a tough one to Justin Verlander and the Tigers last night. Not so sure the O's can hold on down the stretch.

18. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Well, We took one in the chin tonight, but all is not lost.

The Braves fell to the Dodgers 6-2. The Dodgers hit 3 straight home runs in the second inning on only 4 pitches ( back to back to back ) all solo shots then Hanley Ramirez goes yard on a three run bomb to ice the game.

The good news is that the Division leading Nationals also lost tonight to the Mets so the Braves don't loose my ground. And the other good news is that my second favorite team and Favorote American league team the Baltimore Orioles beat the Tigers to stay right in the thick of the wild card race. It will be tough to hold on down the stretch with the Rays playing well but it's exciting to see after so any tough years.

Go Braves and Orioles!

19. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

The Reds played a double-header yesterday against the Cubs. They won the first game and lost the second so it was pretty much a wash.

Johnny Cueto did get his 16th win for the season though.....pretty cool! He now has the best win record in the NL. Could very well be on his way to winning the Cy Young award. :)

20. Michael

Michael New Member

The Braves are cool and all but being a lifelong Southerner, if you're talking sports - you're talking college football! I am liking FSU and Alabama this year.