Spiritual post - an alternative/new 10 commandments

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by Imnoscientist, Feb 7, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I'm not religious but I think these are really nice. I'm not trying to start any sort of debate. Like I said, I just think these are cool.

1) Do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you

2) In all things, strive to cause no harm

3) Treat your fellow human beings, your fellow living things, and the world in general with love, honesty, faithfulness and respect.

4) Do not overlook evil or shrink from administering justice, but always be ready to forgive wrongdoing freely admitted and honestly regretted.

5) Live life with a sense of joy and wonder

6) Always seek to be learning something new

7) Test all things; always check your ideas against the facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform to them.

8) Never seek to censor or cut yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.

9) Form independent opinions on the basis of your own reason and experience; do not allow yourself to be led blindly by others.

10) Question everything.

The source is - cited by Richard Dawkins in his book The God Delusion. I'm not sure who made them up originally.

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I like these.

They sound like good advice to me and something to always strive for.

3. June-

June- New Member

Good list. The first ten were pretty good too, so I like to think of these as additional ones not alternative ones.

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Definitely additional!! :D

5. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Good post.

6. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

I like them all except for 9 and 10, of course Richard Dawkins is one the most out spoken atheists on the planet..
    Everyone has to make their way and decide for themselves, Thanks for the post, it makes you stop and think about just what you believe and why!!

7. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Old or new, they hit the mark. I think giving up cherished beliefs would be the hardest thing to do. Don't know what it would even take to do that. Thanks INS - they made me think...

8. June-

June- New Member

I don't think I could cherish a belief I knew was fiction so it would not be hard, it would be inevitable that I would let it go. But letting go of something doesn't mean I have to try to get everyone else to let go of it.

9. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Indeed - Dawkins is a very famous atheist. I too am an atheist but I think if there is a God he/she would be cool with these ten. As well as his own of course! :)

10. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I wanna say something but I think it would inevitably cause an issue. I'll just say that it all has rings of thruth and I'd love to hear more pearls.

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Pearls...like from Justin's Dad? I can do that - have the book right here...

12. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

If you think about it, commandment number 10 "Question everything" is quite funny. There used to be some graffiti near my place that read "Always question authority!!" and underneath someone had written "is that an order?".

13. June-

June- New Member

:D

14. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Hit us wit it =~)

15. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Done. Over on the Front Porch.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yay! and away I go...

17. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I agree with Vic on this one!

18. rev

rev New Member

I like parts of it and don't accept others. :)
    I do like the issue of justice because one of my favorite verses talks about what God requires and the response is to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with the Lord your God. I could probably give you verses to support 7 or 8 of the 10, but that isn't my purpose.