Social Security Disability

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by michele, Oct 10, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. michele

michele New Member

I need some advice!
    What documents, test reports or results, doctor's notes, etc do I need to prepare to file for Social Security Disability? Unless I drastically improve very quickly, I'm not going to be able to return to my job and will need something. What can I do to help insure that I'm not turned down???

2. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Michele... there is no way to assure you that you won't be turned down for SSD... I have heard that a person needs to be off of work for at least 12 months due to their "condition" before you can even apply... but I could be wrong. As far as documentation goes.. I would make sure that you have your initial diagnosis of MM... any tests that were done to confirm that... how it has disabled you and how many days of work you have missed... that is key. I have heard of ppl that try for disability and are denied the first time.. maybe the second even... i don't mean to sound negative.. just trying to prepare you. Good luck and hang in there.

GinaMc

3. msdizzy

msdizzy New Member

They will want all test results. Eng, hearing, ect. It would also help if your Dr. would write a letter. Stating he believes you are unable to work due to the symptoms, frequency of attaCks, ect. When I filled, I just filled out the first paper work myself and didn't ask my doctor to add test results. So I was turned down on the first application and had to go to court. But I won the court appeal. Good luck to you

4. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Hi msdizzy, congrats on winning your appeal! you deserve it. how long were you off of work.. was it a year? and how long did it take for you to finally get you SSD? you hear so many different stories you don't know what to believe.
    thanks.
    GinaMc

5. sparrow

sparrow Guest

Michele ~ I utilized VEDA's information when I filled out my application. If you go to VEDA's website you can order certain publications that talk about applying to SS for SSD and SSDI. We have the noted publication dates here on this website.

Also, I used a separate attachment and didn't write in on their application. I typed it out on the computer and for a few days went back and re-read it adding things. I put in what a typical day was for me too under additional comments. You will note that alot of the questions are repeats but in different ways.

Best of luck to you !!

Sparrow

6. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I believe I had to be off work 6mo to apply. All you need is to anwer the questions in the packet they send you. It will ask for you permission to contact any Drs that you have seen. I got mine right away, my check came before I knew I had won. Good luck on getting ssd.

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

There's some good info in our Database. Check it out.

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,93.0.html

8. michele

michele New Member

Thanks for the feedback,,,looks like I have a long road ahead of me. Maybe I'll get lucky and get all better!! *S*

9. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

The first filing is almost automatically turned down and the first appeal is usually denied too. There is a 6 month waiting period that you must be off of work before filing. In my case it took 22 months before it was approved. They do not make it easy for you.

Piggy

10. msdizzy

msdizzy New Member

Hi Michele.
    SSD said I had to be off work for 6months before you can apply. I was almost off a year when I finally applied. It took a little over 2yrs by the time I got a court date and to my first check. But now I know I should have sent in my test results and dr.s letter with the first paper work. SSD doesn't ask for them in the first applications. So I just filled them out myself. So my first applicantion was denied. I wasn't clear enough on how disabled I was with Meniere's. And no test to back it up. But once I won my case. They did pay me retro back to the last day I was able to work. Hope this helps. Just be very clear how many attacks you're having. I keep a diary now. and log in on the days I have symptoms. So when I get reviewed by SSD, I will have that and my doctors records.

11. sparrow

sparrow Guest

That's a good thing to do, as msdizzy shared. I copied all my medical reports and included it with my application to help save time and I do believe it helped speed up things for me, because all they needed to do was verify the reports.

And............. I included everything that was wrong with me over the past 10 years which added up to what's wrong with me today. Even my broken toe, my asthma, my migraine history, my asthma, allergies, everything and anything that was medical I put in that report. It was about 2 inches thick with doctors reports and medical letters. You never know, what you think might not be medically revelant, might be to a reviewing doctor.

Good luck, and maybe you will recover and become well before your determination comes thru, I hope soo !!!!

Sparrow

12. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

They will need all test results and your doctors' input as to whether you are able to work. You will have to fill out tons of forms. SSD will have you see their own doctors. It is very important that they get the advice of those idiots.

If you are past 50, this will help. You can apply as soon as you know you are going to go the disability route. They will count all the time you have been off work. You have to be off work for five months before you are eligible to receive payments. The time you've been off so far will count towards that five months.

I was one of the lucky ones, I was approved on my first application. I was off work for only a few days when I applied. I had to wait five months for that first check. You are not considered disabled until you have been off for five months. My employer paid me for my first six months off so I was ok moneywise.

Good luck,