Social Security Denied

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Motor City Spinner, Oct 12, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Motor City Spinner

Motor City Spinner New Member

What does it take?
    I'm so upset with this. I fell sick with this (Menier's) and was diagnoised April 05. I waited and waited to get better, get back to myself (you know that positive thinking , keep your chin up attitude).
    It'll burn itself out, it does not thats bull____, maybe the vertigo settles down its not as much but the other stuff it does not go away not for me it hasnt. Before I knew it a year went by, I havent worked, couldnt work. Now its been a year and six months, savings whats that its gone. So I filed for SSD even the SS Doctor told me its not going to get better my future is grim. I have Meniere's and steel pins in both feet so when I loose my balance I loose my balance, drop attachs, stumble,catch a wall, feel sick, I would love a good night sleep, Its been so long.
    I was terminated from my job because I got sick. They terminated my health care ins. the same day. Now I finally said O.K (I'm out of cash) so I'll ask for some help and they said "claim denied". I don't understant this especially when their own ENT told me, his exact words were "You can't work, be very carefull driving"
    I said driving? I don't drive.
    Depression is a part of my life now,I'm so sorry to carry on like this I just don't know what to do,I'am really sick with this. The dizzy spells the noise drives me crazy, its such an intrusion in my life I wish it was gone. I would love to work again, would love to.
    I want to smoke again,
    My Dr. told me to quit smoking it might help with the Meniere's
    I quit in May of 05, it was easy I was so sick with the vertigo I could'nt smoke, I would'nt dare smoke a cigerate now.
    Well I'm sorry for being a crybaby I do feel better just keying it out, thank you so much if you read this, I just get really tired of this in my life and would love to be me again. Sometimes I look in the mirror and can't beleive what I see,is that me?
    I'll just keep praying in the Lords name for a positive way to live with this.
    Tired and Down in the Motor City,
    MC Spinner

2. sparrow

sparrow Guest

MC ~ I hear you !!!!! I have been thru the initial denial and I understand the impact it can have. This is an excellent site to vent your anger and frustration and you own the right to do that. It's shameful what our US government does to it's taxpaying citizens.

I had to apply twice to get my approval. I purchased a subscription with VEDA and obtained their back issues pertaining to the SS application process to help me thru the maze of this whole thing and it was very helpful.

You have a right to appeal !!! I know this is small consolation but you do have a right to appeal this and alot of us here got approval on our first or second appeal.

I would appeal this tomorrow. Turn this frustration and anger into productivity by starting your appeal tomorrow and going to VEDA's website: www.vestibular.org for their newsletter titled "On The Level".

Hang in there and keep venting MC !!!

Sparrow

3. Colinsmom

Colinsmom New Member

You didn't mention if your doctor prescribed any medication relief for you, or if you made any diet changes besides the quitting smoking.

MM is indeed horrible, but you can find ways to cope, and a good and supportive doctor in my opinion is key. My advice is to find one.

By the way it took me 5 years before I stopped craving a cigarette every day after smoking for 20 years. That too takes patience and willpower which of course we all find in short supply with MM. But that's our lot, and you can get thru this.

4. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I would get a lawyer. Your post ticks me off, so many on ssd and its cause they are drug addicts :mad:
    I won my case using a lawyer. next time try to get it for the depression and anxiety thats what i had to do.

5. msdizzy

msdizzy New Member

Get a lawyer that does nothing but SSD cases. Most of them will not charge anything until you win your case. It makes all the difference in the world to have someone that knows how to word everything correctly so there's no question that you are disabled. They denied my first claim. I got a lawyer,had a court appearance and won.

6. sparrow

sparrow Guest

MC ~ I wanted to pull from what others have said here. My neurotologist is on my area's "Top Doc" list. Just a suggestion, to get a doctor that has alot of publicity backing him/her and is in the public eye. I have heard that when it comes to making decisions on a SS determination it pays to have a well known doctor.

Secondly, I included every diagnosis that I have. I didn't limit it to just MM. I included all doctors reports from every diagnosis and every test that supported the diagnosis. I copied all medications I am currently taking. On the comment section of the application I wrote in infinate detail a blow by blow, minute by minute on how all these dx's affected getting thru my day.

You also have the right to hiring an attorney. I don't know how this works with SS determination but it is a very good option.

About smoking..... I could go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have asthma. I quit May 1987 and every day it is a struggle not to pick up a cigarette and start back, especially with everything that MM brings to us. I chew.... bubblegum instead.

I think everyone has given you excellent ideas and no doubt others will add to this post to help you. Keep posting !!!

Sparrow

7. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

MC Spinner,

For some reason they seem to turn down most on the first try. It's almost like they want to know how serious you really are. But then they seem to rubber stamp approval for other diagnosises like depression. I agree with Sparrow. Include the pins in your feet and the depression and anything else you can think of!

Good luck, Tracy

8. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Tracy,

I agree with you. It made me wonder how many people recover from their depression/anxiety. I had a history of anxiety/panic but it would leave me for periods of time. It stayed after I got sick, I was never told why I got ssd. I know it had to be from my depression and a 10 day stay in the hospital for it. I have mav but its not listed in the blue book on disabilites. My sister gets it because she is worked the system.

She had been on welfare for most of her life due to having babies she could not take care of. Her time was running out so she checked herself into a psy ward to insure she would still get benefits. I could'nt believe she told me that, its a racket for sure. I get upset because MC who is really sick can't get it.

9. Bergie

Bergie New Member

Keep fighting MC spinner! Get the lawyer, keep at them! Get your dr to write a letter if need be!

Don't give up on the SSD. Many are denied the first and even the second try. Keep applying for it!!

Good Luck!

10. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

--------------

11. SMC

SMC Look for the footprints in the sand......

((((((MC))))) I'm so sorry that your benefits were turned down. As others have said most of the time the first attempt is shot down. I'm also in the process of this very frustrating experience. I think that Sparrow's suggestion of subscribing to VEDA is an excellent one. I intend to do that as well. OH, and don't be sorry for venting. Most of us have done that and it's OK. We are here for the hard times as well as the good. You have every right to be angry. Now turn that anger into a mission and NEVER give up! Good luck.
    SherryC

12. minnesotadizzy

minnesotadizzy New Member

Hey MC,

I have to tell you a story about how others view this disease. So I am thinking SSD has the same thoughts.... it will pass!

My wife's sister called yesterday for plans on a visit to their aunts 80th B-Day. Afterwards she says to my wife.... "How is Dave feeling"? ..... "is he getting disability yet"?..... "Oh, after he gets SSD and is off of work for a couple years, he will get better"!

Her husband worked at a paper mill and he hated his work the whole 25 yrs he was there. He started with cluster headaches and didn't go to work for months' on end. He finally won SSD and after 2 yrs. his headaches went away. So that is the way people view this; like we are trying to get out of working. He hated his job.... I really enjoyed mine as a maintenance supervisor and love to work!

Gee, that just bothers me for her to say that!! I know I won't get better anytime soon, even if I had SSD. Others just do not understand.... hang in there.... they hired a SSD lawyer and won their case... I know you will too.

Dave