Sleep problems abound--Brain Zaps anyone ???

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by EARINGER, Sep 19, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. EARINGER

EARINGER Pug-lover /M-C mechanic/carpenter/E-Bayer

Does anyone out there experience the "brain zaps" when trying to sleep ? A 1 second electric headrush that feels like "rollercoasting" sometimes. They are spaced around 2 minutes apart....Last night was especially heinous . I can also tell the "katydids" are going to be singing today (tinnitus) . I have tried to find a medical term for this , but to no prevail .Comeback.....Eric

2. Peanut Brittle

Peanut Brittle My Twerple Has My Heart

Hi Eric,

I call those spells "brain skids." It's as if my brain slips on a patch of ice, then regains its balance before it falls into vertigo... it's a "whoopsie." My spells occur usually during the day, when I've over-done things, OR... I'll get several sometimes before I have a spell of vertigo. There's only been one time when I got "hit" while sleeping, and I'll NEVER forget it. My heart goes out to all of you who get your sleep interrupted by this stuff.

Wishing you better sleep soon!

Jenski

3. caron1477

caron1477 New Member

Yes, I have those too . . . although mine tend to settle down after an hour or so. I wish I new the medical reason behind them.

I hope you find better sleep soon.

4. Rick

Rick New Member

...There's two things I get ocassionally when laying down to go to sleep. I call them "Blips" and "Zaps". The blips are short 15 sec bursts of vertigo related to BPPV. The Zaps sound like what your experiancing and they are like little electrical "zaps". I don't know how else to explain them and have never "googled" because I don't know how to really describe them. But being the analitical person I am, I did figure out how to trigger them. If I look to the extreme left and hold my eyes there for a few seconds and then look to the right as quickly as I can, I will get them.
    ...I haven't had them in a long time and I just tried to trigger one (like I described) and couldn't so maybe they've gone away also with my current diet and lifestyle. But yes, I know what your talking about and they were a nuicence but it usually only happened right when I went to bed and never interrupted my sleep.
    Rick

5. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Can't say much abut the "blips," but the "zaps" are called Exploding Head Syndrome! Woo Hoo! This is a benign condition that sounds like a explosion, slamming door, electrical shock, or gunshot that generally happens when you are relaxing and winding down to go to sleep. From what I have read, people without MM or any other brain or vestibular condition also can have Exploding Head Syndrome. I can vouch that you can have this when you have 100% hearing loss in both ears, so it is something generated in the brain (not the ear.)

The name sounds like a joke, but it is the actual term for this condition. The docs say don't worry about it, but it sure is ANNOYING!

6. Rick

Rick New Member

...Awesome!!!
    Rick

7. EARINGER

Exploding Head Syndrome ??? That makes me feel soooo much better !!!---Eric

8. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Quite the wild name isn't Eric?

I was actually happy to hear of the condition, and the fact that it's totally benign, because I figured if I did ever experience it at least I wouldn't scared s***less. And actually it did end up happening to me a couple of times - I'd be falling asleep and suddenly woken up by a very loud bang like a shotgun blast. I've read that researchers believe the cause is inner ear related so I guess it makes sense that so many of us do experience this phenomenon at least occassionally.

http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorder.aspx?id=33

As for your 'zaps', I'm not sure they are really explained through the exploding head syndrome. I get some type of zapping as well as I'm starting to relax at night. I know others have brought it up here on the forum occassionally as well. So far I don't think anyone has an explanation for it. I've always experienced electrical activity but it was eventually attributed to RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome). The zaps I have now since the mm are different though so I'm at a loss to explain it. They are like a quick current of electrical activity in my head (the RLS version is in my limbs) followed by a small twitch and return to normal. Most nights I experience this at least a half dozen times before falling asleep. I'd love to know what causes it. I'm going to a neurologist sometime in the near future and I think I'll add this one to the list of questions I have. If I ever do find an explanation for it I'll be sure to post it.

Amethyst

9. EARINGER

Thanx guys for all the feedback. I am not so sure about it being benign or normal . "Normal "was last year and before when I didn"t have them... I feel very abnormal now. I do know when I don"t get enough rest (which is almost every night ) it is worse... P.S. - I like the name "brain zaps" better than "exploding head syndrome" , but thats just me....Eric

10. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

When you mentioned "brain zaps" I decided to search on the exact term and look what I found......

I'm not sure about the SSRI/SNRI connection (although I have taken them in the past) but the description does sound exactly like what I experience. And Rick's experiment with moving his eyes sharply left and right is even described. Does this sound like your experience Eric?

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_shivers

""Brain zaps" are said to defy description for whoever has not experienced them, but the most common themes are of a sudden "jolt," likened to an electric shock, apparently occurring or originating within the brain itself, with associated disorientation for a few seconds. The phenomenon is most often reported as a brief, wave-like electrical pulse that quickly travels across the surface of (or through) the brain. Some people experience these "waves" through the rest of their body, but the sensation dissipates quickly. They are sometimes accompanied by brief tinnitus and vertigo-like feelings. Immediately following this shock is a light-headedness that may last for up to ten seconds. The sensation has also be described by many as a flashbulb going off inside the head or brain. Moving one's eyes from side to side quickly while open has also been known to trigger these zaps and sometimes causing them to come in rapid succession. It is thought to be a form of neuro-epileptiform activity."

Amethyst

11. buglady

buglady New Member

Hi everyone. I do not post much but read everything I can about Meniere's and have found this site to be the most comprehensive source of information as to how I can best manage this disease. As for "brain zaps," these have just recently begun happening to me. I liken them to the top of my head sliding off. :eek: I have also had them happen during the day, especially after a day of strenuous work where I haven't had enough water to drink. Just one more symptom of a very confounding syndrome... Margie

12. burd

burd New Member

Brain zaps
    Brain skids
    I like having names for this. I get them occasionally but not during sleep.

13. chez57

chez57 Never invisible but always transparent

I get these trying to off to sleep, but it's almost like a zubbing feeling (is there such a word? - will have to google it).

Horrible feeling - accompanied by a sinking feeling or being dropped quickly. Feels like I'm momentarily been switched off then straight back on again. My hearing goes funny too!

Whatever it is - I never had it before this and I certainly don't like it.

14. EARINGER

Hi Suzie ; Yes , the dropping feeling is the rollercoaster effect I was speaking of . I have got a feeling we"ll all be watching commercials on TV someday , and there will be a new drug for B.Z.S (Brain Zap Syndrome) Just don"t call it E.H.S (Exploding Head Syndrome)!!!----Eric

15. Rick

Rick New Member

...If these feelings happen with movement (rolling over), then suspect BPPV ("blips instead of "zaps". A "falling" feeling, a "dropping" feeling, "roller coaster" feeling, "sinking" feeling are usually a BBPV type sensations in my experiances. A good tell-tale sign is "when they happen". If it's crystals moving around (BPPV- blips), your going to notice it just as soon as you roll over, move your head, etc. The Zaps just happen.
    Rick

16. sparrow

sparrow Guest

WOW !!!!!! This is very enlightening. And I thought the noises I heard at night were from my neighbor next door, lol. The loud slamming noises I hear those everynight and they always occur right around the time I start to fall asleep and I come wide awake into a sitting up position looking around. This is one of the reasons I got a security alarm to my apartment, I thought someone was trying to break in. I would go and look all around my home, under the bed of course, the cats didn't seem disturbed which seemed strange to me, they are always my marker for things out of miss.

Thank you Earinger for posting this (((Hugs)))

When I was getting off of an SSRI, I had the brain zaps for up to 6 months and finally it went away. It is a known phennomen from withdrawal of SSRI's. Prior to that, I got periodic feelings like electric shocks in my brain, have had them all my life.

One other strange thing I experience is the feeling that my bed is moving or vibrating. Now, don't everyone laugh at this, but it's true, actually............

Sparrow :D

17. EARINGER

Hi Sparrow : Haven"t had the bed move on me ; YET !!! but I am ready for anything to happen....I don"t think this illness is threw with me yet . Eric

18. sparrow

sparrow Guest

Things evolve with all this, wondering what will happen next :eek: :eek:

All kidding aside, this is not like what happened in the movie The Exorcist, nothing that dramatic, it's like I feel the bed gliding?? or maybe it's my brain that is tricking me. It only happens right before I go to sleep.

Sparrow

19. chez57

chez57 Never invisible but always transparent

Rick I don't have BPPV been tested for that. The sensation of dropping is not just laying down in bed I often get it standing up and sitting down. Its like the feeling you get when you are in a plane and it hits an air pocket and the plane drops instantly.

I have sometimes wondered if I've been close to dropping as my legs buckle beneath me. But so far I've managed to grab something and stay upright.

I understand what you say about BPPV as I know that turning over in bed can trigger this off for those with it. I wish it was BPPV because then I think someone might try to do something about it.

20. RagingEar

RagingEar New Member

Yes i get them often, the other night i was awoken to a few that ultimately led to a full blown attack. Its an aweful feeling when it interupts your sleep. I normally just sit up and prop my pillows until it passes.