Should Nassman Stay

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Seadog, Sep 25, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Recently Nassman stated that someone should create a post as to whether he should stay or leave and

1. Stay

42 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Hit the road

28 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Become a kinder gentler Nassman

19 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Don't care

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. RVN

RVN New Member

I haven't been on this board as long as some of you, but I don't see why Nassman shouldn't stay. What I have witnessed for the most part is that there will be occasional posts that people (including myself) make to blow off steam and, instead of being a sympathetic ear, Nassman will provide counter arguments based on the current best practices of the medical establishment with regards to this condition. Then what happens is that, because the original poster's emotions are raw, it can escalate. The poster just has to understand it for what it is. That's Nassman's way of thinking. He's not going to simply humor you if he feels you're being irrational.

Some say that he used to be worse. Fine, maybe so. But all I can comment on is what I've seen, and I don't think it's that bad. Try to take it in stride. If you are blowing off steam in a post, just realize he will likely not come and give you hugs. Others on the forum will provide that support.

For the most part, the posts of his that I have seen are basically reminders of what the medical establishment knows about this condition and how to treat it (which isn't all that much, unfortunately). There may be times when you don't want to hear that because you want to believe that some new alternative treatment method is going to work. And it still may, regardless of what Nassman says. He just provides the warning that the medical community does not see that as a viable option.

2. charlesj

charlesj New Member

I voted for him to stay. What he says usually makes sense.

3. survivedit

survivedit New Member

I don't care. Can that be a category?

Bob

4. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Oh come on.... if everybody agreed with everybody else, what fun would that be. The world needs gadflys or we'd all be bored. Hell we live with Rush Limbaugh. Besides, from the mouths of the curmudgeons oft come pearls of wisdom and truth. And......as my old high school lacrosse coach used to say.....if you can't take a cheap shot now and then, you should get off the field and take up basket weaving. Sometimes life is about taking upside the head and then giving it back when you get the chance.

5. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

6. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Yeah - I was hoping for a "don't give a toss" optional answer.

7. Seadog

Since I cant figure out to shut this poll down, I added the - I don't care.

8. Aegir

Aegir New Member

Just PM a moderator and they will lock the thread for you, simple :)

9. thedawgboy

thedawgboy New Member

You know what?

Screw that.

The entire idea of .org is to have a safe haven to discuss a condition that is hard enough to deal with as is. When people come here, they are scared, confused, tired of "you don't look sick", seeking answers and SUPPORT. That means they are not expecting to take one upside the head because they reached out in a place set up specifically to reach out.

Now, as far as Nassman specifically, I will not voice an opinion, other than the fact that this entire poll is ridiculous (as it was not the idea of the OP, no offense is meant to the OP, but he probably should have known better).

This is a prime example of troll feeding, and it is just sickening, on so many levels.

If people have nothing better in their lives than to start replies to people, expressing their honest opinions with phrases like "You must be living in fairy tale land," or "Your brain is smaller than a grain of rice" then they cannot be surprised when people get upset at them. This is most especially true when this forum is not about politics, or a favorite tv show, but about support, and being there for one another.

Not directed at anyone, but everyone....

If you have developed a relationship where you can joke with a certain individual in a certain way that seems mean, go ahead.

If you have a disagreement, state it respectfully.

If you have nothing better to do, than try to deflate other people, and try to prove how wrong they can be, shut up and walk away from your keyboard.

I know I need work in these areas, and that is why I refuse to vote in this poll, but then again, as I am raising two boys, I know how to ignore a tantrum.

10. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Thank you Seadog :)

11. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

Well said dawgboy.

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

mea culpa

13. Bastet

Bastet New Member

just my $.02....we all have diff opinions and experiences. I may not agree politically with a lot of you (popaharley, I love Rush), I may like music that would make most of you scream in pain and the JOH regimen didn't work great for me, but what does it matter? We learn from each other. Some people are in-your-face types, some are hugzzz types. It's all good.

FWIW....This board is the MOST civilized and kindest board I've ever been on. Cheers! :)

14. Seadog

I did he didn't

15. Aegir

Aegir New Member

That's a shame. On 2 other forums that I'm a member of, if a person PMs a Mod to have a thread locked, it's normally done in less than 24 hours.

This particular thread has brough up both some interesting points and some problematical ones. I don't actually think Nassman's avatar generally makes any difference to how people view the person, so I don't follow that logic at all.

But, to suggest that people should respect the manner in which a member of the forum comes across in their posts, no matter how they come across, actually opens up a whole can of worms, because it kind of gives carte blanche to a member to be as insensitive as they choose without any form of repercussion from pretty much anyone. I personally agree with the "do unto others as you expect to be treated yourself" (can't remember exact words, but it's not that important, it's the meaning that's important), and that's how I intend to progress on this forum...even though I'm not generally a person who gets sarcastic, rude etc, I think I can learn to be that way if need be. The interesting point is, will I be considered in a negative light because of it? Most probably, I think. Even though that is the underlying message some are putting across in this thread.

16. tess

tess New Member

I don't see anything wrong with this topic if Nassman requested it and hopes to learn by it.

Nassman has been around longer than I have, and that has been over 6 years. I just don't notice him anymore. No offense nass.....but I don't gravitate to your posts.

I have to agree with Linda, that Nass has actually made some strides to interact with people in a bit less aggressive way. I still think he needs to see the big picture that not everyone "knows" him or his style, and to give some posters the benefit of the doubt until he learns their personalities. If he asked for this thread to help get along with others, all the better. He needs to learn that some people are in a very fragile state in this support group, and some need to be handled with kid gloves. He may never have experienced that, or he has and survived it and is on the other side. At either rate, we're all in different levels of stress, health and need of support here. That should be respected by everyone. Unsolicited attacks or harsh posts are just not fair play to people you don't understand. (Nass...think about that).

Otherwise, I also don't care. I'm not here a lot, and people come and go all the time. I once tried to encourage people to stay, but it's really up to each individual ....we're all adults. If the stress here is too much, then it's not being supportive. No one person can be responsible for the stress we experience dealing with this disease. We just have to find our way around coping with it.

17. Stick

Stick Guest

I would take a rough guess that your not a woman Aegir. Would you follow the logic if my signature was "kkk" and my avitar was a swastika ?

An extreme example but I think you would get the point!

18. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Now I've got that Clash song running through my head.

"Should I stay or should I go now
    should I stay or should I go now.
    If I go there will be trouble.
    If I stay it will be double.
    So you've got to let me know now."

Sorry, couldn't resist. Is this supposed to be serious?

Bob

19. David09

David09 New Member

I say he hits the road so that I can come back and be a part of this community again. I made up a new screen name just so that I could make this post. Nassman has offended me more times than I can count on my fingers. In my
    opinion he is always trying to get attention and it's really sad that he has such a bad attitude. I can understand if someone is having bad day but it seems like every day is a bad day for Nassman. I decided a few weeks ago to leave this forum after Nassman wrote yet another arrogant, rude, obnoxious reply to me. I didn't tell anyone I was leaving....I just left. This forum is great and the good people far out weigh the bad ones but Nassman is just too much. I would rather start my own forum than to put up with him anymore.
    I'm glad this poll was posted because it gave me a great opportunity to say just how I feel about Nassman.
    I will continue to read posts here but I will not contribute anymore. I think it's better that way for me. My old screen name was DavidA. All I can do is just pray that Nassman gets a grip on his attitude one day. Have a nice day everyone, and that includes you Nassman.

David.

20. Riverbed1

Riverbed1 New Member

No one is forced to read anything on this site. You dislike Nasssman's comments, don't read them. This stuff about evicting someone because they are impolitic is Orwellian.