shartsoe

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Intrepid, Apr 15, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I remember that song! I'll have to get it. My workout mix is already quite eclectic -- Led Zeppelin, Kelly Clarkson, MC Hammer, Rob Thomas -- I'll add this one today.

2. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Shartsoe another good one (oldie very oldie) is the theme from Flashdance. My very first 10k they started the race with this song. It was a race put on by Bonnie Belle cosmetics for women only. Today it is the Tufts 10k. It is held in Boston along the Charles River. A great event.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Today is a 6-miler day but my hamstring is giving me problems so we'll see if it's possible.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Rest day today. Will go for a long walk after work. 6 miles was challenging yesterday because it was 80+ temps. It didn't sit too well with my MM but my buddy and I finished anyway. Hamstring held up okay.

I'd love to start swimming soon but that seems to bother my head and tends to set of dizziness. I hate being stopped by it so I might go all the same.

5. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Glad to hear the hamstring did well. Wow, already in the 80 in your neck of the woods? Going to be a long, hot summer. Is it possible you'll acclimate to swimming if you just push through it? I love the water, but am not much of a swimming for exercise kind of person. Just put a new song on my workout track and purchased an arm band for running. I should be able to run faster/farther now. Was trying to juggle holding my phone and walking at the same time. Today I get new workout clothes! (Hey, it's the little things!)

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yeah will have to wake up early and go in the mornings.

Before you start running get fitted for proper shoes at a running store (not the mall kind). I can't tell you how important that is. The new copy of Runner's World magazine has a great article on running for beginner's. Take a look at it.

I will definitely go swimming. I don't like to be stopped by fear of what may happen.

7. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

shartsoe,

do you have the nike+ running app? It's free. It keeps track of how often and how far you go. It works for walking, too. I like it because just officially recording my runs is an incentive to go when I don't feel like it. The app allows you to set goals. You can set up a power song and tap when you are getting tired and it spurs you on. It is very encouraging.

8. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

That one came pre-loaded in my iPhone, but I like to use WalkTracker Pro. It does all those things and includes walking, running and cycling (which I'm hoping to add soon.)

Thanks FR, Intrepid and Red for all the encouragement. It means a lot!

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

One foot in front of the other. Keep going :)

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

K and I got in 8.3 miles this morning. We left home really early because storms are in the forecast. We ran and just as we finished and touched the post where we start, the sky opened up and it began to pour. It felt SO good. We were hot, sweaty, tired and energized at the same time, and to walk back to the car (1/2 a mile away) under the early morning rain with dark clouds and a cool breeze was more than words can describe.

I felt 100% alive.

Hope you have a great Sunday! Do something you love today :)

11. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Just returned from a 14 mile bike ride on the beach. Beautiful beach day!

12. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

You have the life, there is nothing more beautiful or relaxing to me than the Ocean.

13. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Oh yes, I totally agree, on both counts. I have a great life and the ocean.

14. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Yay, red and intrepid! 102 temperature. I'm not going anywhere but the couch. :-(

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Uh oh. Looks like you caught what your kiddo had :( Feel better soon. Stay hydrated.

16. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Hope you feel better today Shar. I had a nice walk on the beach today. However, it is getting hot in FL. Heading back north next Tuesday. I will be crying for the heat. My walks on the beach will turn into "hikes" in the mountains. Will be putting away my beach bike and getting out my mountain bike. Life is good.

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I love your attitude!

Woke up really early this morning and ran 5.3 miles before work. Felt awesome! Maybe some weights later. I have a dinner so we'll see.

Hope you're feeling better Shannon.

18. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Good morning! I'm up and working bright and early today. Fever is gone and now there's work to catch up on. If the weather cooperates, I'll go for a run/walk. Lost five pounds so far and have completely switched to a plant based diet (even at tempeh for the first time last night).

Redwing, your optimism is contagious! You're right, life is good. There's so much to do and so much to see. Sarita, I started with some light weights too. My son bought 10 pound weights to do some bicep curls. I tried them but it was a little much for my puny little arms. Thinking I need to start with five pounds LOL. Enjoy your dinner!

19. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

That's "ate tempeh"

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That's fine. Just build from there and keep adding so you make your lifts worthwhile. Women can, and should, lift heavy weights :)