Second opinion, sort of...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by recentlydizzy, Jan 30, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. recentlydizzy

recentlydizzy New Member

Being the good patient that I am, I followed up with any advise given by my ENT and primary care doctor. I completed the physical therapy (no help) but at least I made a good faith effort. Found an allergy doctor (on my own) who just happened to be an ENT. When he walked into the room he seen Meniere's at the top of my paper work and thought that was the reason for the visit. I tried to go into the explanation of how I ended up there and was interested in allergy testing.

I guess out of curiosity he wanted to know why or how I came up with a diagnosis of Meniere's. I went through everything rather quickly and he said it appeared my ENT had done about half a work up. He wasn't going to rule out Meniere's but pondered why I hadn't been referred to a neurotologist. I explained that I had only seen my ENT twice and he hasn't gotten the results from my therapist back yet.

I think his curiosity was getting the better of him because he had a hearing test done right then. I have had several hearing tests and they all pretty much come back normal with maybe slight loss at higher levels and speech discrimination about 80% right ear. No big surprise there, he thought it was odd to have normal hearing but then again I might have gotten on top of this thing early enough so no big change in hearing yet.

He seems interested at least so that is a good sign. Maybe in February when I follow up with my ENT/surgeon I'll ask about the neuro. FYI, I spent a lot of time and money going to this appointment only to be turned around because they can't give you an allergy test when you have been taking antihistamines. Would have been nice to know ahead of time.