scuba and MM - Update from Curacao!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by muzicgirl, Sep 30, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. muzicgirl

muzicgirl Of course, I'm the one in the blue bathing suite!

;D

Hi everyone~! Before the site crashed there were some discussions I had initiated regarding scuba diving. My update is this: I completed my open water dive training. I am in Curacao on vacation and happy to report I have dived 6 times. I take it a little slower descending into the depths- today we dove at 100 feet exploring a great shipwreck. I come up a little slower than others - myboyfriend/dive buddy is always by my side and asks if I'm ok about every 2 minutes. I have had no attacks under water. once I got a little bit of vertigo and if you look which way the bubbles are rising you find which ways is up quite quickly and breath deeply, relax, and it is ok.

I will say it is probably the most amazing thing I have evernseen- if you ever wonder what an astronaut feels like. . .this is it - neutral boyancy rocks! With that said the only slight side effects I havve on the surface is that I feel like I am still on the boat about an hour after hitting solid groundd. But, I think it is worth it. If you love swimming, love water, and have MM, don't think youcan't dive. My dive master here has beengreat. Of course it is allllllways dive at your own risk, but we dive with a slte that I can write on underwater so if therer is anything Ican not express in dive sign language, I can write it down. I have something called a tank banger- if I am uunder water and a few feet from my buddy and something happens, it makes noise against the tank getting peoples attention.

It
    s beautiful, and I'll post some pictures shortly!!!

-Melissa

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Sounds fabulous. Good for you!!!

A great example of LIVE YOUR LIFE and don't let MM get in the way :)!!

3. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I can't wait to see your pictures!

And it's so nice to hear that maybe someday I may be able to scuba dive too. I had always wanted to learn but thought I had to rule it out entirely with the mm. Now I can have that dream back....thank you! I'm happy to see all that you're doing to provide extra safety because scuba and mm should definitely not be taken lightly. If there's some way to do it slower and safer than why not...it's great to keep living!

Enjoy!!!!
    :D
    Amethyst

4. ToniG

ToniG Guest

AWESOME!!!! Live your life to the fullest and follow your heart!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

5. muzicgirl

muzicgirl Of course, I'm the one in the blue bathing suite!

it is really awesome. . I will post more in depth when I get home. If you
    re dream is to dive and your mm is somewhat under control don't give up.

-M

6. Titus

Titus New Member

I've done quite a few dives. The night wall dives were the best. The colors were spectacular. It was so weird seeing things like 5 ft eels and sharks and not being afraid. It felt like I was just part of their world. I haven't had the health or courage to dive since my dx. But it's something I'd love to do again......some day

Enjoy.

7. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

Post those photos soon! :)

8. cmrasberry

cmrasberry New Member

I was certified at age 12 and have done quite a bit of diving, have actually dove there in Curacao, also Bonaire and Aruba, it's close neighbors. I have not been diving since I was dx because of fear, but I think I will try again soon. I have found that the most intense time for me any time I dive is waiting on top of the water and if I will descend just a foot under the water, the peacefulness begins. I think if I were to get vertigo, it would be on top of the water with the wave action, not underwater...the most glorious floating feeling ever!

Bless you for following your dreams and having a great time!

9. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Melissa,

Good for you for making the best of your vacation! I can't wait to see the pictures of your diving experience!! I'll live through you!

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Stacey