Science can answer moral questions

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by studio34, Oct 8, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. studio34

studio34 Guest

I wondered what some of the religious folk here thought of this TED talk by Sam Harris. Often I hear from religious people that without religion there can be no morality, that without such religious beliefs or a belief in a god that the world would descend into chaos and thus we need the word of a god to keep us in line.

Sam is an excellent speaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

S

2. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Look out folks...........here it comes. ;)

[​IMG]

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

A moral system can be derive objectively. There is no question to that. Anyone who disagrees ought to read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, an atheist, and the originator of objectivism. An objective morality must be derived from basic agreeable precepts, which she does in about 1100 pages. I read it on a flight to and from Australia. Even then, I had to skim a few pages.

4. studio34

studio34 Guest

Chris, instead of the knee-jerk reaction, why don't you watch the video. i think you'll enjoy it.

5. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

If you promise and assure me that it contains some element of God existing and that being spiritual is real and effective, then I might watch it just so I can judge it for myself.

6. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I will take your word for it then Sarita and...........pass. ;)

7. studio34

studio34 Guest

What a shame but that's ok. S :)

8. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Not a shame - just not my cup of tea or anything that interests me, much like I wouldn't post a good sermon by a famous preacher and then ask or expect you to watch it.

9. studio34

studio34 Guest

Well -- this isn't a sermon that's for sure and actually, if you posted something that appeared on TED (known for quality content), and it argued in favour of religion and the existence of a god, I'd be there checking it out.

By the way, this does not argue for the non-existence of god. It talks about morality and shows a very interesting contrast between women in burqas and western women depicted on magazines in one segment. Thought it was timely given that thread some time ago.

10. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

See that's where you and I differ where I am not looking for an arguement - debate - or fact finding mission because I have already reached a point in my life where I know how I feel about believing and non-believing, and I have chosen to believe 100% and are sticking to that to the very end of time.

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I finally got around to watching this video. It really is great!

I don't think he argues "against" (any) God or particular religion (although the extreme examples he gives are from Islamist/fundamentalist Islam societies eg the Taliban). What he is arguing against (and I happen to agree) is moral relativism. He's advocating (hoping) for a convergent view on morality.

12. carnyard

carnyard New Member

IMO religions have the potential to uplift but they also have the potential to exclude, prejudice and narrow one's vision because religions are created by man (not God) and have the same strengths and weaknesses. Morality is a concept born from religion to pass judgment on the behavior of those who do not adhere to the religion. In Science, there is no need for morality because Science is probably more purely spiritual than any religion. If you look at sub-atomic particles, they all follow "rules" in how they behave and how they interact. These rules were created by something beyond our understanding (call it God if you like) and these particles never deviate from these rules and obey them without prejudice or exclusion or fanaticism. The only time they break a rule is when they are manipulated by man. Considering that all matter in the universe is made from these particles, it stands to reason that this is existence in its purest form and maybe an example of what God intended.

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hey Carnyard! Interesting post. Interesting the idea of morality in subatomic particles. Never thought about that before.

But aren't you on the edge of confusing morality with order? Doesn't morality require voluntary compliance? Are subatomic particles acting out of free will?

I dunno. I may have to think some more about that one. Glad you found yourself over here.

Hank

14. June-

June- New Member

Indeed.

15. carnyard

carnyard New Member

Since all life consists of subatomic particles, aren't they "alive"? And isn't life defined by consciousness? And since we don't fully understand the rules, isn't it possible that we don't fully understand their level of consciousness and what drives them to follow their rules? Isn't it possible that subatomic particles have more of a direct connection with and understanding of God than we could possibly fathom? Maybe free will is irrelevant to them because they are already experiencing Eden by behaving the way they do. They already fully understand the meaning of their "life", while we wander aimlessly trying to understand ours.

16. carnyard

carnyard New Member

I don't sit and think about vitamins all day or compose hate mail to doctors. LOL ;)

17. carnyard

carnyard New Member

I'm full of surprises. ;)

18. carnyard

carnyard New Member

Are you flirting with me on a religious thread? Shame on you. What will the fundamentalists think? ;)

19. carnyard

carnyard New Member

Nah, I was just being a smarta$$.

20. carnyard

carnyard New Member

That's no fun. ;)