scenes from the living room

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Titus, Jul 18, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

removed.

2. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

amen

i just don't have the strength to fight or cause strife - most days just breathing is a challenge enough

xo

3. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

I like it Kim ;)

4. Mya46

CLARIFY: I mean't I like the poem, not the subject matter ;)

5. Mya46

Sarita

Sometimes getting to point A and B can be too long a road for others who just don't feel good. That's why I like Kims poem. I understand it happens everywhere in life. Though the subject of matter went off the wall in all different directions for too long, haywire as they say. ;)

6. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

hugs to you kim

7. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Sarita; I agree.
    Kim; is that fair to post that about the whole living room? Passing judgement. :(

8. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Kim is writing her poem about the negative, I know her well and she is not passing judgement on the whole livingroom. These were her feelings about events, as with everyone else, she is entitled to her opinion.

9. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Hmmmm....this is my first visit here to this part of our forum and it seems like it's slamming where I usually am. I know people get frustrated when threads get crazy. Seems someone is always getting some help along the way to me, though. But you have every right to say what you feel. Lisa B.

10. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

11. Titus

Titus New Member

Toni,

I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. Please accept my apology. I can see now how my writing would seem judgmental and I'm sorry for that.

12. burd

burd New Member

Kim,  I'm sorry to have missed your poem, although I see it quoted by Toni.  You should not apologize and you should not have pulled it either.  Your thoughts are your right to express just as anyone else's, like others have exercised in the livingroom.

Oceanbreeze, shame on you for making her feel like she had to delete it.  You claim to hate censorship...but you labeled her poem as "passing judgement" and made her feel like she needed to pull it... sounds like censorship to me.   BTW, you have made claims more than once now to be leaving the forum, and yet here you are again, and you come back and intimidate Kim's right of free expression.  Aren't you afraid of losing credibility?

P.S.  One can't place Kim's poem in the same category of some of the ugly posts we have all seen.  Her's hasn't targetted anyone in particular, such is not the case of what she is writing about.

13. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

This room is for expression of ones inner feelings this is the last place we need the moral police. People who share their heart in this room should be able to without the fear of judgement. :mad:

14. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I hope you don't feel I was passing judgment on you Kim. Boy, everyone knows that threads CAN get crazy, and offensive, and hurtful. I'm just glad we can all express what we feel here. Lisa B.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

Lisa, No, I don't feel you were passing judgement on me. Even if you were, it's your right.

Besides, if you want to know the truth, I have brass balls and there isn't a person on this forum who can intimidate me....even on my worst day :D :D :D

I just really appreciate harmony, support, and truth. And I'm a professional writer (in my real life) so it's just natural to express my feelings by writing.

16. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Kim, your poem was very honest and real. Writing like that is exactly what people feel (felt?) free to do in this part of the forum. Good writing comes from the heart - but it stops when we need to protect/guard ourselves.

I heard what you said, agreed and then admired your diplomacy. Yes pull any posts that inadvertently hurt/annoy others, but don't let it stop you speaking from the heart. I have admired how you have allowed yourself to open up to us ever so slowly over the years.

Lee.

17. Titus

Titus New Member

Hi Lee!!

It's always a special treat to see you post. I remember, when I was very young, watching my mother scribble words down with a fury I didn't understand. It was like she was overflowing with something that had to come out. When she painted it was the same way. Something was pouring out of her and onto the canvas. Her need to express herself through her art was so intense but so often misunderstood. Fortunately and unfortunately, I now understand. I wish she were alive so I could finally tell her that I know :'(

18. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Kim - I think it is exactly what compelled your mother to write her heart out that inspired Ray to create the Writers Den....a safe place to express feelings and emotions that have no other outlet.

I thought your poem was just that - from the heart, and based only on your feelings. Your feelings are valid, no matter what they are, so I was especially distressed to see that you were chastised and scolded by Oceanbreeze for simply expressing yourself. THAT, not your poem, offended me.

I did post a reply to that effect, but erased it when you removed your poem in deference to her.

But I am still very confused....to me, this was a good example of censorship. Someone didn't like what you wrote, so complained, and you took it away. I can see that happening in a situation where facts were distorted, or an individual was personally targeted, but that is not what you wrote.

I totally agree with burd on this.

19. Titus

Titus New Member

Hi DC,

How is retirement treating you? We're in Summer "B" term now and I'm doing one online class to fund my trips and other projects around the house. Does it seem strange to not be gearing up for a new academic year?

The poem really was my true feelings but I know that written word is often hard to interpret and lacks true tone. I was feeling a kind of sadness for new people in the Living Room when I wrote it. After I looked at it, I could see that it might have sounded more angry or flip than I intended. Such is life.

I teach Business Ethics online and some of the discussions there get pretty heated. Students really go at each other when it comes to politics and religion. It makes our former Den look like a sandbox :D And I have the task of assigning a grade to these debates :D Another thing just struck me. I was about to type that at least the students aren't suffering with Menieres but each semester I'm shocked by the number of students who have very serious medical, family, and financial problems. It's sad because these students are trying so hard to better themselves and are paying money, taking care of kids, going through life.....some of them are our age.

It makes one put things in perspective.

20. Titus

Titus New Member

Sarita, I actually had one student last year with Menieres. She was young and single but very scared that she'd miss class because of it. She would come in early and talk to me about it and she said it made her feel better to know I was working with it. It's just so unpredictable. I noticed that she signed up for another of my classes in the Fall.