Samoan Green Bananas

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Jäger, Jan 23, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Jäger

Jäger Me and My sweetie 15 years ago :)

This is a side dish most Polynesians love to eat with their main dish. Here in America, it's made with green bananas (no yellow at all). I like to serve over white rice. I like to eat with fish but any meat will work.

Ingredients

* 3 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 6 small unripe (green) bananas

Directions

1. Combine the coconut milk and onion in a bowl; set aside.
    2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Boil the bananas in their skin for 30 to 40 minutes; drain. Run the bananas under cold water until they are cool enough to handle. Remove the bananas whole from their skins.
    3. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Place the bananas in the pan. Pour the coconut milk mixture over the bananas. Cook until the coconut milk is foamy. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 6

Amount Per Serving Calories: 489 | Total Fat: 41.7g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium? 0mg for the coconut milk so whatever is naturally in Bananas and onions

I usually put a scoop of white rice on a plate then place a whole banana on the rice and smother with the coconut milk.

2. June-

June- New Member

Where do the onions come in? Are they cooked?

3. Jäger

Jäger Me and My sweetie 15 years ago :)

Yes you combined them with the coconut milk in step 1 and cook with the peeled cooked bananas in step 3.

4. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

This sounds delicious!! :) :)