Salt reduction

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by daisycow, Oct 4, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. daisycow

daisycow Moo to you, too.

Hi everyone.

I'm really trying to reduce my salt intake, thanks to the Meniere's, but I'm finding everything I eat tasteless and bland. I don't like spicy food so adding those kind of flavours isn't an option. Can anyone suggest anything so I can enjoy my food again?

Thanks

Liz.

2. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

Use a sodium substitute.

Piggy

3. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Liz,

It takes about two or three weeks for your taste buds to adjust to low salt. I keep my sodium intake to about 1250 mg per day and I now find prepared foods too salty for my taste buds.

I am surprised that you do not like spicy foods. Spicy does not necessarily mean hot. It means tasty, flavorful, mouth watering good ... I think if let you taste buds work with you kitchen skills, you'll find something that works for you.

Joe

4. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

I do not spicy food either and have found some very nice spices that add life to my food without the spicyness. (sp?) I posted the web site on the kitchen forum page.

5. MMwife

MMwife New Member

Hi Liz,
    When you say you don't like spicy food, do you mean you don't like HOT spicy food or that you don't like any spices at all. My hubby does not like Hot spices that make your lips burn but I can use just about anything else. I have been buying alot of my spices from a company called Penzeys Spices. www.penzeys.com. They have great stuff. I hope this helps.

Sandy

6. huey

huey New Member

Bring on the heat for me! The hotter the better, but I've always been like that. Before MM, never new how much salt I was injesting on a daily basis. I'm slowly but surely weening myself off the high salt foods, by eating more fruits and veggies, and using a salt substitute when needed. Wobbles, I'm impressed that you can keep to 1250 mg a day. I have trouble keeping to 1250 with dinner. ;D
    Rob

7. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Like the others said, give your tastebuds some time to adjust. Spicy does not have to be HOT. There are so many lovely herbs and spices to try. Why not approach this as a good opportunity to discover lots of new flavors?