RX for sour acidy no-salt tomatoes

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by dizzyc, May 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dizzyc

dizzyc New Member

Anyone have any ideas for covering up the sour acidy taste in no salt added tomato products. love chili and goulash, but can't seem to disguise that taste. i also need to learn about herbs to use for different recipes, any suggestions??

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I know what you mean!!! :p

Mostly, I found that in certain canned products...

I do put a spoonful of sugar in my spaghetti sauce; that seems to help.

I also use KETCHUP when I want a good tomato flavor. I use Heinz, but have also used the no-added-salt brands, too.

I've also used fresh salsa in recipes to give it a little extra bite...mostly I use lots of onion powder and garlic powder, and sometimes a shake of ground cayenne pepper.

Tomatoes (Italian style) love oregano, basil, marjoram...also chives and parsley...and good olive oil.

For a Mexican flavor try cilantro, cumin, garlic

For Mediterranean, use rosemary

The other option is to use fresh tomatoes - with the peels on, or peel them by cutting a small shallow X in the bottom, then put them into boiling water for 20 seconds. Then take them out with a slotted spoon, and plunge them into a big bowl of ice water (and cubes) for 20 seconds. The skin should slide right off.

3. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

before the dizzies I avoided beladonnas, now I like the acid, a lot of that is vitamin c, very important, I use a lot of frshe squeezed lemon & lime juice, lots of no salt?no fennel curry powder, fresh hot peppers. after 6 months plus of no salt, I've gotten pretty used to having to cook , no cheese, etc, but I've done no salt before now & then, & I wonder now if those times coincided with unstuffed ears.