Roasting peppers

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by gardenfish, Oct 2, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I grew lovely peppers this year and I just harvested them. WOw! Who has an idea for roasting them - something easy? THey are so beautiful and I do not wish to waste a single one. They need to be roasted because the skins are tough. I remember the smell of roasted peppers in Santa Fe. That is one of my favorite scents. Thank you
    Paul

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Paul - I am sure there are many ways to do it, but I just cut them in half, arrange them cut-side-down on a foil-lined cookie sheet, and put them under the broiler until the skin bubbles and turns black all over.

Take them out of the broiler, dump them into a ziplock bag, close it, and wait til they cool off. By then the skins will be easy to peel off under running water. What is left is a sweet, tender, smoky-flavored pepper. YUM! (DH also does this for me on the grill....)

DH also told me to tell you that his friend puts them in a dehydrator, so that he has peppers to add to dishes all year long.

Happy roasting!

deercharmer

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

oh thank you Dear deercharmer, tht is exactly what I wanted/

4. Mongo59r

Mongo59r New Member

Two additional heat sources for you...Your gas grill is fast for large quantities, or for one or two use a propane plumbers torch and bag as above

5. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

thank you Mongo. :) I guess the bagging is important. I had not thought of that.

6. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

When you say peppers do you mean like bell peppers or capcisium as we call it down here?
    or chilli peppers?
    Do you get the capsicium in red, green, yellow and orange colours?

7. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

capsicum. My peppers, depending on degree of ripeness, are all of those colors and also a dark brown all on the same bush. I have given many away and now must get to roasting them. If I am successful at roasting them I wll grow more next year. Because our nights are cool even during the summer (nightshade family ripens at night), and because petter plants need heat I planted them in pots right up against the South side of our house. Success! :)