"Researchers may have discovered a plan to disable Meniere's disease"

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Donamo, Dec 7, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Thanks James. All very interesting and something new to think about with the neuroprotectants!

I love hearing about these new things! Gives me hope that someday, somewhere there will be a breakthrough. :)

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'm glad you chose to tackle the MAV aspect of your symptoms. If Topomax is giving you more relief than AVs ever did, then that's a big clue. Your next step might be to totally clean up your diet as that has been the biggest help for me.

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I googled the definition of Neuroprotection and it states:

"Neuroprotection: aims to prevent or slow disease progression and secondary injuries by halting or at least slowing the loss of neurons."

Neurons are nerve cells, maybe that's the connection and why Neuroprotection may give relief from MM symptoms as well as AVs.

HSV-1 according to Dr. Gacek attaches itself to a nerve in the inner ear. I am not sure what happens to the nerve once a HSV attaches to it but I would assume damage or loss or some type of negative effect.

Neuroprotection protects the nerve cells where the HSV is attached. AV's suppresses the virus that is causing the nerve damage, loss or whatever it does to the nerve.

Or I could be totally off base here.