"Researchers may have discovered a plan to disable Meniere's disease"

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Donamo, Dec 7, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

Just got another mail from the good Doctor with her website info.Lots of interesting information.

http://www.mariondowns.com/diseases-database

2. james

This thread is starting to go another way. Can we keep it on topic please?

3. wonderin

wonderin New Member

I think it is on topic. This link suggests Meniere's underlying cause is "temporary blood flow to the brain". I agree completely. But sufferers want more than just reasons why they feel crappy. HOW to increase blood flow should to be the key issue. What works.

4. james

wonderin,

I beg to differ with you. If you want to talk about your book again I suggest you start a new thread. By saying "temporary blood flow to the brain" is the problem you must not have read the whole link.I could do the same for your theory and say it is just ''trigger points''

5. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

James since she is willing to communicate with you would you mind asking her what her explanation is for several people who fit the definition of MM she stated, get relief from their symptoms from antiivrals?

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

edit: many not several

7. wonderin

wonderin New Member

James I'm just venting my frustration at wanting to help but knowing I can't.
    Wishing everyone a happy new year.

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Just checked the good doctor's webpage on her perspectives (well, profound, definitive knowledge) on the causes and effective treatment of Meniere's (http://www.mariondowns.com/menieres-disease).

Let's now get off this herpes virus thing. Those of us who have gained prolonged and complete relief from antiherpetic treatments (acyclovir, et al., and lysine) must be just placebo deluded. Clearly, we are in gross error. We must still have Meniere's symptoms but are able to suppress them by our atypical treatment delusions. It's only a matter of inner ear circulation, not viral inflammation, or anyhing else.

We need to defer to the real experts, who have the real answers, as with this good physician.

Close this website. No physician posts here. It's all amateurish medical hokum. And I'm among the worst of the posters here. I'm ashamed of the many dozens I’ve deluded. And they so believed they were fixed of MM symptoms they emailed me dozens of messages telling how they now lived normal lives.

Who can we believe? Clearly, only physicians.

Happy New Year to everyone. Hope your physician brings symptomatic relief in the coming year.

–John of Ohio

--John of Ohio

9. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

--John of Ohio (Squared)

10. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Lots of reading there ... read the Meniere's section but will read the other diseases later when I have more time. Interesting that they mention Migraine in the Meniere's section.

Thanks for posting James ... and Happy New Year my friend xx

11. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

LOL JOH
    ===========================================================
    I wish you all a Happy, Healthy and Symptom Free New Year For This Year and Those Thereafter.

12. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Yes ... I would be interested in the answer to this question too. :)

I just want to add here, Meniere's is a difficult diagnosis, once your reason for Meniere's symptoms is solved you don't have Meniere's anymore because by definition Meniere's is of unknown origin.

For instance, in my case, I have been found to have Superior Canal Dehiscence and Recurrent Vestibulopathy, therefore I don't have Meniere's because my cause is known.

13. james

JOH--WTF?

Vicki I wrote her will post if she answers your question.

14. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Thanks so much James I appreciate it.

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Reminds me of religious groups arguing that "their" God is "the" God and their path is the only way. If only the rest of understood and accepted that what a wonderful world this would be ::)

Glad that your trigger point/gluten free lifestyle has worked for you. It has also worked for me. But to say that it is THE way for everyone....well that's a delusional.

Let's have the thread stick to the original topic of the herpes virus/vascular connection. Really, there is no ONE cause of MM even if the symptoms may be something more than two people have in common. It's the same with MAV and its triggers. Not everyone is affected by barometric pressure and Gouda cheese. Some can down a bottle of wine and feel awesome, yet others can't take a sniff of it without hitting outer space.

Let's not get so fundamentalist with our theories and pretend that what we do is THE way for everyone.

16. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Well stated Intrepid.

17. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

DITTO INTREPID! :D

18. wonderin

wonderin New Member

I have never said it's just this or just that. It is whatever it is for the individual. For some it's viral in nature, others dietary, others stress or whatever. It is different for all. The part that I have found that is never different is that the 'clue' that there is a problem is constant for all. That is, the body put under constant pressure reacts with tension. This is within our control to do something about - all of us. It is a personal acceptance of the sustained pressure we are putting our bodies under, finding it, then releasing it. This is what Doctors keep missing as they don't focus on the muscle's responses (left to other professions).

In other words, I have always agreed that we do not all suffer from the same root cause. But we do all suffer similar symptoms and our patterns of tension will be there - unique to each and every one of us. Pain and symptoms don't exist without tension. But most muscle care professionals forget to check the WHOLE body. They follow conceptual theories when muscle tension in an individual is UNIQUE to the individual. Like a personal imprint of their life long stressors. Those who think I am just talking about gluten or trigger points or some other singular thing have missed the point entirely.

19. james

Dr. Foster wrote back to me today and answered the question about viral involvement and why some people get better on the anti-virals. I don't think her answer is what a lot of people want to hear....

Dear James,

Herpesviruses cause recurrent infections on the skin and in the mouth, and this has influenced some authors to suggest that herpes reactivation may cause the recurrent attacks of Meniere disease. Herpesviruses such as varicella zoster virus can infect the 8th nerve. However, herpesviruses do not reactivate from Scarpa’s ganglion, which is the neural tissue that connects to the inner ear, and so cannot cause repeated attacks. Also, when a herpesvirus infects the ear, it causes widespread destruction at the time of infection with symptoms that last for days to weeks. This is very unlike Meniere’s disease, which causes very slow and gradual progression of hearing and balance loss with repeated attacks lasting hours. The special characteristics of Meniere attacks, like low tone hearing loss and a duration of hours, would be very difficult to explain on the basis of a viral infection. The response to antivirals in patients with MD is likely due to a very strong placebo effect in these patients, particularly in those whose attacks are migrainous in nature.

20. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Well, that pretty much settles it, does it not. That Japanese study doctor just didn't know how herpes virus cannot act in the inner ear (Japanese medical education apparently isn’t as good as the USA). And those Italian physicians who discovered herpes viruses in the ears of Meniere’s patients who had died, likewise, just didn’t know how herpes viruses act in the inner ear and they simply screwed up their analyses. Probably got some errant herpes viruses on the posthumous inner ear histological sections from a lab assistant with an active cold sore. Bad lab technique, of course.

This superb researcher has a professional obligation, does she not, to inform Dr. Gracek that he’s all wet; that his use of antiherpetics for Meniere’s patients can’t possibly be efficacious. He must be making a lot of money on such a fraudulent treatment scheme. Somebody ought to look into this. How many hundreds of MM patients are now paying good money for antiherpetic consultations and no-results treatments.

And I’m glad to learn that my otolaryngologist was all wrong in his diagnosis of my Meniere’s case, with all the requisite symptoms. Since I’ve been taking daily lysine—known to suppress herpes replication—I have now been free of MM symptoms for well over a decade. But that couldn’t have been because of the lysine, as herpes viruses simply can’t cause Meniere’s disease.

I can relax now. The matter is settled. The doctor nailed it perfectly. It's a "very strong placebo effect in these patients...." My placebo effect has lasted for over a decade. The power of postive thinking.

–John of Ohio