Replacing table salt in bread machine recipes

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by rondrums, Jun 3, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I've been experimenting with reducing the sodium in bread machine recipes, and I found something that really works!

Most bread machine recipes call for 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. That's 3,540 mg of sodium in a loaf of bread. If you figure 12 slices in a loaf, that's nearly 300 mg per slice. It's insane!

I did some research about leavening agents in bread,and I found a way to drastically reduce the sodium, and the bread still turns out great. For a 2 pound loaf, use 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp of No Salt (it's potassium chloride, no sodium), and 1/2 tsp of Vitamin C powder (available at health food stores). Vitamin C powder has the same leavening effect as salt.

Total sodium in a big 2 pound loaf is 1,180, less than 100 mg per slice. And the slices are huge, so typically, I cut them in half for a piece of toast.

I've tried this with three of the recipes that came with my bread machine, and all three turned out perfect.

2. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Wow - thank you. Can I post this on the Meniere's Resources, Inc. facebook page. Ideas like this are awesome for people who are affected or effected (never know the right word) by salt.

Thank you! :)

3. ArtD

ArtD peace

Have you tried just omitting the salt? I know it's a palate adjustment, but wouldn't the bread otherwise turn out fine without it?

4. ArtD

ArtD peace

OK, I did a little research and found that salt does perform a few functions in bread making besides flavor.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/salt.html

I think you are onto a good salt replacement in bread recipes that cuts sodium by two thirds!

5. Lee4343

Lee4343 New Member

Great info! I don't use a bread maker, but have baked it in the past. In shopping for low sodium bread, I've found a wide variety of sodium content. I now use Sarah Lee's Healthy Whole grain bread, with only 60mg per slice, and it's delicious! I was shocked to see that a single 8" flour tortilla had 420mg! There was about 50 different brands, and no lo-so varieties! In contrast, regular corn tortilla chips had considerably less. 120 I think. In other bread-related news, the plain bread crumbs called for in a LOW SODIUM recipe had massive salt, while the Panko, Japanese style ones were negligible! Baring finding a lo-so flour tortilla, I'd like to try making them myself. Can't be too hard, right?

6. valsc0508

valsc0508 New Member

Lee,
    I realize this is an old thread but...

Mission Carb Balance flour tortillas have 280 mg sodium. They are right rhere with all the rest in our grocery store and they are the ones ibe always bought. Even my super picky salt-a-holic husband says they yaste the same. Not low sodium but one of the lowest I've seen.

7. N8vScot

N8vScot New Member

I use 3/4 t. of the salt substitute and only a 1/4 t. or less of real salt per teaspoon required in the recipe. I make pizza dough, my own hamburger rolls and bread this way. I've found I get used to the reduced salt and it tastes find to me.