Reluctantly joining the ranks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by etlani, Oct 9, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. etlani

etlani New Member

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here and have spent a few days reading through a lot of your posts before saying my official "Hey". I must say that I have some mixed emotions after reading all that you all have to say-- I'm so thankful to have found a group of caring people that UNDERSTANDS and that I can talk to, although my heart just hurts for all of you going through such hardship--symptoms much worse than I experience. But, that's also the scary part--are these the things that may be in store for me?

Here's my short version. I've had tinnitus in my right ear for almost five years--worse in winter. It comes and goes--my ear rings for a few weeks, then quits for a week or two, then rings again. I had a few dizzy spells, mostly mild, but after one that was worse than the others, my doctor finally referred me to an ENT. I went, found out that I had a hearing loss in that ear, and was given a tenative Meniere's diagnosis. I went back a month later, and he put me on diuretics, and told me to come back. I kept to my low-salt diet and medication for a few months, and I stopped playing guitar on the Worship Team at church. I also decided that I couldn't have this disease because my dizziness wasn't bad enough, and that maybe it was just the loud music from practice and church service that was making my ear ring. Then, as if to clarify my self-diagnosis, I stayed symptom-free for over a year.

The ringing started again last winter, and quit during the summer. And it started again a few weeks ago. I still would be in denial, but during the Tigers-vs-Yankees game (I live in Michigan, so pardon the GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!) I had my first nasty vertigo attack. It was awful, as you all well know. (On the bright side, the Tigers won 6-0 that night!)

So, I'm ready to admit I'm officially Meniere's material. I'm taking this seriously now. I'm seeing my ENT tomorrow, and ready to do what it takes to try to keep this under control. My big fear is that my symptoms are worsening and that vertigo will be a part of my life now. I have three kids, and as with most parents, my middle name is chauffeur. I want to be there for them. I guess I'm borrowing trouble, but I can't help but wonder what the future will bring after reading how life-changing Meniere's has been for many of you.

I have a few questions to throw out: first, I had the vertigo attack on Friday, and today is Monday and my stomach still feels funny. Is that often the case after vertigo hits?

Second, my ear quit ringing completely after the vertigo attack subsided (although the pressure started again this evening) Has anyone else experienced that?

I'll close on a brighter note by relating a little experience I had on Sunday. My ear was clear after that vertigo attack. My husband and I were attending a parenting class at church while the kids were in Sunday School. When we entered the classroom, I could hear an annoying, high-pitched ringing. Immediately I put my hand over my right ear to see if the noise was coming from inside or outside of my head. Yippee, it was outside! As I sat down, people were commenting, "What's that noise?" Some people were so bothered by it that they started trying to locate the source so they could stop it, but they couldn't find it. I know the noise drove a lot of people crazy during class, but guess what? I could concentrate and learned a lot that day because I was used to ringing!

If anyone has a good idea where I could post, I'd love to start a compilation of humorous things that have happened to us because of our condition. I know Meniere's is nothing to laugh at, but sometimes those little, funny episodes can lighten a dark time. For instance, I had a mild vertigo attack before a softball game, and I HAD to play or our team would forfeit--THAT had some interesting moments!

Looking forward to knowing you all.

Sue

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Sue it takes (f0r me) at least three days to recover from a vertigo attack and sometimes twice that. WElcome to the forum. Looks like your fit right in.
    Paul

3. blessed

blessed New Member

Hi and welcome,

Unfortunately you never know what's in store for you down the line. Although everyone here has a similiar story, they are all very different.

I can't remember my stomach ever feeling bad after an attack. Just sore from all the heaving. Sorry, but I know no other way to put it. As for the tinnitus, mine always gets much louder before an attack but never stops afterward. It will subside back to it's "normal" volume (7 on a scale of 1 to 10), but it hasn't stopped in years.

It sounds like you are very grounded in your church. I am sure you are praying about this as are others for you. Don't focus on what the future might bring or that your life will be completely altered. Live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself.

4. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Welcome to the family.

Ummmm, I know this is a risk, but Go A's!!!

5. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Welcome Sue! It usually takes me 2-4 days to completely recoup from an attack. Everyone is different so some may have stomach trouble and some don't. If it's been a real barfer yea my stomach hurts too.

Just look around at the Front Porch or new Games, etc Rooms and you can decide where your stories will fit. I look forward to reading some things about Meniere's that we can laugh at. I've seen some good ones. Keep on posting. You will definately fit right in!

6. Leon

Leon New Member

Sue,
    Welcome. I hope you find this forum as valuable as I have. Know that here you will always have a shoulder to lean on (or cry on). We've had the vertigo and the nausea and vomiting more times than we'd like to rember. I've had bouts of vertigo twice today while at work. Try to keep a positive attitude and don't lose your sense of humor.
    Leon

7. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Hi Sue and welcome to our Meniere's Family!

I know having this "beast" is not a pleasant event that happens in our lives. However you are not alone! Believe it or not, if it were not for this "beast" called Meniere's Disease or MM for short, I would not have the close relationships with many wonderful people on this forum. Please feel free to post any questions you may have or vent if you need too.

You said that your stomach still felt bad a few days after your vertigo attack...was it do to nausea or painful? The reason I ask is, when I have vertigo, I have nausea. I take Phenergan, an anti-nausea med. This helps keep the vomiting to a minimum while also settling my stomach. It takes me a few days to fully recover from the initial attack. However, all of us are different.

When I am about to have an attack and sometimes after an attack, my hearing is completely lost, including the tinnitus. It's an eerie sensation. My hearing slowly restores itself but still remains somewhat muffled.

It's wonderful that you can see an amusing side to having MM. It's important to keep your sense of humor, like others have said. Again, welcome to the forum!

Stacey

8. daisycow

daisycow Moo to you, too.

Sue

The only good thing about a vertigo attack is the ears being quiet for a time after. It almost makes everything worthwhile!! Savour the peace while you can!

Liz.

9. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Welcome Sue (Iposted a welcome in Niks post as well ;))

Try not to worry yourself silly over the what ifs, only makes the liklihood of an attack more possible :'( As you will find we are all at different stages and have different symptoms and problems, but that doesn't mean you will follow us, as this is such a variable disease :mad:

Ask as many questiosn as need to, you will find the support and understanding you need here

I haven't had a vertigo attack since last April but used to take me days to get my tummy back to "normal" after one :'(

uuummmmm...upchuck, chunder, emesis, vomiting, hugging the porcelian bowl ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, welcome to the dizzy family :) and be careful of Linda ::) ;D she is a diehard A's fan :D

Maggie

10. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Welcome Sue
    I do not vomit often but do have dry heaves with this MM. After a session of dizzy and heaves my stomach feels "off" for a day or so--but then so does the rest of my body.

If you stick around the forum you'll learn that we are all different--but so much alike as well. You do have a shoulder to cry on here.

Again welcome
    Willie Marie

11. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Hi, Won't add anything here just a warm WELCOME to this wonderful and supportive place-Yvonne

12. marlyn56

marlyn56 New Member

WELCOME SUE,

I'M ALSO A NEWBIE. SINCE BEING DIAGNOSIS WITH MM, I'VE NOTICE THAT LOUD NOISES BOTHER ME (I'VE HAD TINNITUS) FOR 3-4 YEARS BEFORE I GOT MM. BUT WHEN I'M AT CHURCH DURING PRAISE AND WORSHIP, I WEAR EAR PLUGS. IT REALLY HELPS ME. MY PASTORS AND CHURCH FAMILY ARE ALSO VERY SUPPORTIVE. MARLYN56

13. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Welcome Sue.

Gwen

14. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

Just wanted to add a warm welcome and a welcoming Hug. Although MM can be annoying you will learn to deal with it in time. My ringing is 24/7 at about a 7 on the scale. Some days it's fine someday it just drives me out of my mind. Your in my prayers as everyone here is. God Bless

Patsy

15. jabber

jabber New Member

Welcome Sue, glad you found us. I would love to know what it's like to be "noise free" even for just a day. Of course some days are worse than others with the loudness as Patsy says some days you can deal with it- other days it near drives you out of your mind. Keep visiting here, you'll make a lot of new and very caring friends, friends that understand all too well what you're going through and there will be no more of feeling alone in the boat as they say. Hugs-- Loretta

16. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Welcome Sue!

Where in Michigan? Go Tigers! but don't tell Linda that!

Glad you found us, but sorry that you did. I can't say much more that has been said.

Good to meet ya
    Tuck

17. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

Welcome to the mad-house Sue! ;D

18. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Hi Sue, humor is always appreciated! I have been able to live a pretty normal life......and yes, I do feel very out of it after an attack, very weak the day after, sometimes it takes me 2-3 days to feel "normal". I drive my kids everywhere. I just take my cell phone and have lots of friends who say call if you're in trouble. I've only had to do that once in 12+ years. I go everywhere and do everything, just warn my friends if I'm feeling a little bad and may have to cut out......they don't mind at all. All my high school friends are meeting for lunch near my house on Friday because I have been more active with it lately and don't want to be too far from home....they are happy to. I'd be happy to do it for them. There are huge swings in MM....some very mild, some so severe. I have controlled mine with 2 sac surgeries (the first had me 3 years symptom free, so worth it), valium when needed, a diuretic, and now the meniette which I have had very good success with. So best of luck to you, and know that not everyone's MM is horribly severe. Lisa :)

19. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Sue,

Welcome to the forum!!!!

It's great to see such a good sense of humour - it'll help you more than anything. Your story reminded me of my own experience, early last year, during the onset of my symptoms. I had been experiencing some extremely loud (jet engine loud) tinnitus about 3 times a week, without any other symptoms. I went off to a meeting carrying my laptop under my arm and was hearing such a loud ringing that I was sure I'd better get myself off to the doc as soon as my meeting ended. I remember walking down the corridor, on the elevator, outside to another building, and into my meeting area - with this screaming banshee following me. I kept wondering was it detectable to others or all in my head? I couldn't tell. Some people seem to be staring at me, but then it could have just been the puzzled expression on my face. Finally, when I reached the meeting area, everyone turned and said 'what the heck's wrong with your pc?!? why is it screaming like that?!!!' (turns out my laptop speaker was blown). I was so relieved I announced to everyone in the room that here I had thought it was in my head again and I was about to head off to the docs...I was so relieved. Funny that everyone else looked at me like I was off my rocker!!! ::)

Hope you keep up your great sense of humour and remember what everyone else has said - - - everyone progresses differently, your future is what you make it.
    ;)
    Amethyst

20. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Sue be sure to check out Tucker's DVD! It is great!