Quorum request

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by vanisdizzy, May 25, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. vanisdizzy

vanisdizzy Im sorry we met here, but glad to meet you.

I have now had 6 visits to the chiropractor and dropped close to 7 bills (out of pocket). I chose this as a conservative step towards possible relief from the "dragon". Im not having hands on manipulation its the place your head on a angled board while a pencil looking device is lowered to the other side and a click takes place. Can't really remember exactly what the technique is called but im starting to lose confidence. I had an intial "adjustment" and had another today. He wants me to continue this treatment another 15 times or so. Today he said I needed an adjustment becouse my leg length was slightly diiff. Here's my concern. How did he know what angle to place my neck before he lowered the "pencil" and fired a shot? The first time he did it he had to take xrays and do some calculations. This time he worked magic.

My question is, keep going or abort. Lets here it.

2. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Why don't you sit down and have a good long chat with your chiro about his diagnosis and prognosis? At least you will know what you are spending your hard earned cash on, and you can make an informed decision whether to continue, or cut and run.

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Ask him that question and make him explain it to you in a way that you can understand.

4. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I would ask another question first - do I feel any better?

5. Funshine

Funshine New Member

I would ask how much more money do you have in your pocket??

6. vanisdizzy

I dont feel any different. He can't really say when I would feel anything. This is a long shot and it was recomended by someone who shares the same problems that most of us do hear at this forum. She actually told me about this site. I chose this path first becouse it the easiest thing to do first. I don't know what to do. If I thought that it sometimes takes longer to feel results I might stick it out a little longer. Otherwise I might as well send you guys the money, you do more for me than this guy.

7. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Based on those two things I'd say time to cut your losses and move on.

8. vanisdizzy

Henry,
    You have helped a bunch. Its hard for me to believe its this simple. Maybe so.

9. vanisdizzy

Thanks folks and you "read", my next visit in two days. I will put a plan together.

10. gert157

gert157 New Member

I had what sounds like the same procedure done a few years ago.... My chiro told me after about 3 times I would know if it was helping, sorry to say it did not help me..... That's sure is alot of money out of pocket for no guarantees, IMO........ My insurance paid for mine so I paid only the copay of $15.00 each visit....... I think I would cut my loses, but at the end of the day its your call....
    Good Luck with whatever you choose.............

11. vanisdizzy

My insurance deductable is $600 becouse the chiro. I selected is out of network. They would have considered him in network if they did'nt have his type in the network. But as evryone knows, the medical field does not consider chiropractors to be anything other than chiropractors reguardless of what specialty they suppossedly offer. I wanted an Upper Cervical and he said he was. Also becouse of this situation they only pay 60% after I meet deductible. My visits are ranging between 75 to 95. He likes 3 visits a week, go figure. I walk in the door and he probably says to himself, theres my cash cow. Mooooooo Laaaaaaaaw. :D :D :D

12. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I will say this. Good chiropractors are few and far between. I went to one that had me stand on the balance thing that looke like a giant scale and tell me that I was putting more weight on one foot than the other. They gave me a free x-ray and consult after. They said my bones were growing together in my neck and that it was curved in too much. I would have to go everyday for about 2 -3 weeks and then about 3 times a week for a year and then a shorter amount of time for another length of time.

I didn't have the money for all of that.

When I had gripping, throbbing and pulsing pain in my calf, my dr thought I might have a clot .. sent me straight to the cardiologist who made me cry. He said well, you don't have a clot .. I don't know why you're here. "

So, my good friend took me to her chiropractor. He had made adjustments to her neck that relieved most of her carpel tunnel. He was quick and efficient with her. He sis a manual adjustment and when it didn't work he did xrays. Discovered a pinched nerve in my lower lumbar. I was almost 90% if not 90% after about 3 visits in one week. I did one more visit and I was back to work after being out for a few weeks unable to even walk. His intention as a chiro is to find out what's wrong, fix it and get them on their way as soon as possible.

He said that scale guy was bogus and just wanted money. Given how well and quickly I was succesfully treated and they sent me back my overpaid copayment ... I believe him.

I wouldn't trust them if they indicate alot of time and money sink. I'd shop around.

13. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

second the motion

14. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

You asked your question here, so I will pursue trying to help you here.

I really do not know anything about your case. And I don't know whether your chiropractor is specially trained to do this work. So this is difficult for me to give you much guidance without more information. If you don't mind:

How old are you?
    What city do you live near?
    What are your symptoms?
    Are your symptoms cyclical or all the time?
    How long have you had them?
    Have they ever gone away and come back for an appreciable period of time?
    Have you had surgery?
    What surgery?
    Have you had an upper cervical or head trauma to speak of, at any time in your life?

15. June-

June- New Member

Go with your gut.

16. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I see your point clearly. I go and get a neck adjustment when I'm ready, I just walk in, as if I were getting a hair cut. They suggest three times a week, but I could not afford that or make the time. I do believe, finally, that it is helping to a degree. Maybe try somebody else, to see if there is a differance.

17. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

The handful of folks who have reported some type of benefit from MM symptoms as a result of chiro treatment have uniformly reported feeling "something" (whether it be brief relief, a twinge in the ear, a few hours of respite, etc) within the first one or two visits. Those who have tried chiro with no luck never felt any relief at all from the very beginning.

What I take from it is that if you're 5 visits in and it hasn't done anything for you, it's time to drop it. Despite having the above information available, I continued with the 20 initial treatments for the benefit of the board so folks interested in chiro could follow my experience along in real time. Had it not been for that thread, I likely would have dropped it sooner and had more money in my pocket today.

18. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I'm sorry, that is just not true. Folks who have reported being helped have reported the time frame anywhere from immediate help, to three months or even more. For example, took Songbird 3 months for vertigo to stop, Steve from Colorado longer than that, complicated by a rear-ender collision during the recovery process. Those are just two.

Many NUCCA chiropractors tell their patients that it takes one month of treatments, on average, for every year of symptoms. Of course that is an average based upon a wide range of symptoms. But that is a guideline. 5-1/2 months after beginning NUCCA, Wino reported that he had been symptom free for 5 months. So you can do the math on that. He attributes his symptom reversal to an exercise program. Still, he is a data point on the graph as well.

19. Wino

NUCCA had not one tiny bit of anything to do with my recovery. Not even one bit. Don't go getting your panties wadded when people discount your NUCCA story, then turn around and start telling people what their experience was.

Proof in the pudding? In January I hurt the living hell out of my neck and have had a constant spasm on the left side since then. And guess what? Still symptom free.

I think Hank's inability to process information other than "NUCCA works" speaks for itself quite clearly.

P.S. - van, if you're interested in knowing more about my experience, feel free to PM me.

20. Wino

And as further proof of your inability to process information that conflicts with your pre-formed conclusion, my post did not state nor imply anywhere that people were cured or significantly improved immediately. It quite clearly stated that uniformly these people felt SOMETHING within the the first couple of NUCCA sessions. Whether that "something" was a momentary relief of symptoms for a few seconds, a twinge in the ear, etc. It was something to suggest a connection. Van is saying that there was nothing at all felt during the first 5 visits. There is a huge difference between what I said, and what you interpret.

And again, van has asked people what their opinions/experiences are. It's not for you or me to chime in on what someone else's experience is. Van simply wants to hear individual stories and make an informed decision.