Question; could an atheist and a christian be married?

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Chris0515, Sep 10, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

"I also love the US. For all its flaws it remains one of the greatest countries on earth. The committment to the freedoms of democracy - including the right to free speech - are worth fighting for."

One of the greatest?? Democracy?? Plainly you know little about the US.

First, democracy does not confer freedom. It only confers the rule of the majority. If the majority decides to subjugate the minority, it has that right. That is because authority in a democracy springs from mere opinion.

But in America, rights are not conferred from opinion. Fortunately. No, in America, rights are endowed to the people directly from God. And that is the one and only reason that these rights are unalienable. They can't rightfully be taken away by other men.

And one of those unalienable rights is the right to the cherished freedom of speech you wrote about.

Ironically for you, that right of speech that you so cherish includes the right to deny that the only conceivable source of unalienable rights, such as freedom of speech, even exists.
    But because the US is the ONLY nation on earth in which the people's rights cannot be rightfully taken away, that is why America is the GREATEST nation on earth and Americans are blessed to be born and live here.

2. June-

June- New Member

Boy oh boy, did we go to different schools.

I take your words as a lyric praise for the country and it's government but don't actually agree with them as a factual representation of how it all came about nor do I agree that other people's rights can be rightfully taken away from them.

But I will agree, we are lucky to be here.

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

"Yet they do".

Oh I agree, but not rightly. Elsewhere, however, these rights can be rightly removed. There is a significant difference because eventually, the pressures to restore rights unauthoritatively removed force these rights to be restored. Two prime examples, slavery and Jim Crow laws.

4. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

It's getting progressively more difficult for me not to finally just jump in to this discussion with guns ablazin'. But I just know it's going to be pointless.

5. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Popeye used to say, "That's alls I can stands and I can't stands no more." Then he would eat his spinach and come out fists a blazin'. So don't think others haven't had those same feelings before you.

6. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

June, I missed your post. Just spotted it. I would rather that you take my words as praise for our country and designed form of government, rather than the government the way that it actually operates in a practical sense. I did agree with Sarita. But I do not want to get political here though.

We went to different schools? Maybe. But I doubt I was taught much different than you were. But when you actually go back to the source documents, and research for yourself what the founding of this nation was about, and compare what you learn against what is consistently taught in schools, you will notice that over time the truth and meaning of our founding has been bastardized. Having performed that diligence, anything I write about the American founding, I am prepared to back up. I expect you know that.

7. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I've been subjugated by the rightful rule of the majority, so no more from me.

8. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

If you have been sunjugated in this discussion, INS, it was by principle, not majority opinion. I fully expect the majority agrees with you, not me.

9. June-

June- New Member

Henry, I take a backseat to no one on this subject and yeah, I know as much as you do. It's been my life. At the same time, I respect Ray's decision that this is not a political forum so I will not get into this subject with you.

10. studio34

studio34 Guest

11. Capsized

Capsized wag more, bark less

Studio34 ~ Cape Cod awaits you and your girlfriend whenever you want to visit again. It's perfect fall weather right now.

12. kag614

kag614 New Member

I'm sure there are lots of us biting our tongues!!!

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hey Kag,

If what I'm saying were not true, that God underwrites the authority of both Great Britain and the United States of America, then I doubt that the British Parliament and both house of the US congress would have endorsed that God was, to the extent that the Treaty of Paris in 1783, which ended the revolutionary war, and which announced to the entire world that both nations agreed that the United States of America was a sovereign nation among nations, was most conspicuously entered into under the authority and name of the Holy Trinity, invoking the favor of the divine Providence. Thus stated the preamble:

The Paris Peace Treaty of 1783
    In the name of the most holy and undivided Trinity.

It having pleased the Divine Providence to dispose the hearts of the most serene and most potent Prince George the Third, by the grace of God, king of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, defender of the faith, duke of Brunswick and Lunebourg, arch- treasurer and prince elector of the Holy Roman Empire etc., and of the United States of America...

14. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

You know, in spanish when we take leave of one another we say the word "adios." Not many people have given it much thought because it's such a commonly used phrase. But if you translate it literally into english, it means "to God." So, I guess what I've now learned is that there is defintive proof that every single person in the history of te world who ever used the term "adios" is religious, and that Spanish-speakers all believe that God is the foundation of their culture. You learn something new every day, I guess.

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

That's a good point, Wino. Probably a Judeo-Christian attempt at subtrifuge, planting God in a post greeting like that. Brilliant!

16. kag614

kag614 New Member

I actually was making a comment on the thread itself, and not any comment you made Henry! I'm on your side! : )

I actually stopped reading the thread a few pages back because I just couldn't read some of the stuff that was being said.