Question about this forum

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by barnyardbird, Sep 6, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

I'm relatively new to the meniere's disease forum having joined on July 20th,2010.Is there any reason(s) why science,logic,reason and critical thinking isn't discussed here?
    I get the impression that this forum was set up not just for meniere's disease sufferers but for believers from the religion industry who suffer from meniere's disease.Am I right or am I wrong?Or perhaps it's just this forum,"Your Religion & Spiritual Corner"the aforementioned questions are not discussed?

2. Steve333

Steve333 New Member

Here's a place for those of you speaking spiritual guidiance or discussion as related to Meniere's Disease. Please respect everyone's different spiritualities and religions. Tolerance is the name of the game here.

the above statement was written by the owner of this forum.

i've been here off and on for over seven years. the spiritual/religion room was created at a time when there were many heated religious and political debates. the room was created for spiritual and religious support (prayer, etc.) and is for all religions and spiritual support. at that time political debates were banned because they defeated the purpose of a support forum.

3. amberini

amberini New Member

Bird, a long time ago before I ever joined, this board was much different and the threads could get wild so they set up rooms to keep certain topics that seem to cause much conflict, separate.

There is no reason we cannot discuss science, logic, reason and critical thinking. Perhaps it would be a better topic in another room though.

There are several members who would relish a conversation about these topics.

4. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

O.K.so that clears things up for me.The "Your Religion & Spiritual Corner" doesn't interest me as I'm not from the religion industry.Thank you to all who replied.

5. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Having been a member of many different message baords over the past 10 years I can tell you this much, that religion and politics always seem to bring out the worst in people and cause huge arguements on every single site I have been on - and this one is no different.

This is why whenever someone approaches me about either subject in person I make sure up front that we're both on the same page; otherwise there's a good chance that it will get either verbally or physically ugly which is much worse than typing ugly on a keyboard to people that you don't really know.

6. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Religion and logic are not mutually exclusive ventures. Religion, supernatural logic, is an extension of man's natural logic. The reason religion exists is because natural logic dictates that there is something beyond what we can know from the natural world, something that created the natural world. That is because nothing within the natural world accounts for the natural world itself. Nothing within the natural world accounts for the energy necessary for creating the most infinitesimal quark. Nothing within the natural world acounts for life, and certainly not intelligent life. In fact, nothing within the natural world even accounts for the intelligence necessary to account for anything. For this reason, in order to understand where the natural world derived, it is only logical that man look beyond the natural world. That any particular individual is not interested to do so does not make it illogical for others to do so. And fortunately, no one who is interested to do so is required to identify with any particular industry in order to allow his mind to venture logically into the realm of what lies beyond the natural world he is given. Given the constraints within that world, and his desire to understand his origin, logic dictates that this is his one alternative.

7. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I love the theory that we evolved from monkeys but if that is the case why is their STILL monkeys of all kind around, did they not get the memo that everyone else was evolving way back then - lol. :D

8. joy

joy New Member

:D Actually I think the idea is that it occurred over a pretty long period of time. Not that I agree with it exactly ... I have my own beliefs on that subject.

RE "Question about this forum" - Seems to me like we can't really have an actual "exchange of beliefs/opinions" without it turning degrading, especially when the topic is something close to people's hearts. (Heck, there was a time when we couldn't discuss Valium usage without things going ballistic. Now it's changed to homeopathics ... & Christianity has always been a touchy subject.) I guess that's the 'human' in us. The urge to convince others that we are right & they are wrong is just too strong for many to control. Inject sarcasm & snide comments (intentional or otherwise) & the "discussion" turns into a big mess where nothing is really accomplished except for ticking people off. And there's also the so-called 'debate' that's really just an attempt to bait people into a thread, only to stomp on them as soon as they get involved & feel comfortable about sharing their feelings.

9. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

I also love it when religionists simply make God the default when there's no plausible answer.

10. joy

joy New Member

I rest my case.

11. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

i tend to stay away from topics on here, each to their own beliefs without causing hurt to others there are many times i would have loved to have posted different things but i saw this place when all hell was breaking loose , i am me i have no label for religion and certainly no need to be jumped on for my own views :D :D sometimes its just safer to stay away from religion or politics, altho i may post a meditation or two when i can be bothered to type one haha :D :D

12. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

I told myself yesterday that I would not make any further comments in this section but after reading Chris0515 comment I felt compelled to do so.

13. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Speaking for myself only, I find that my faith has been one of the only things that has helped me thru some of the rough patches in my life.
    Call me what you will, I have been labeled many things in my life (Jesus Freak, stupid, idiot simpleton) I still hold on to my faith in God
    and what I feel to be true. You can hang on to whatever you wish. When I say I have been on my fire walk, believe it or don't accept or don't.
    I get up each morning and God and I have a long heart to heart. It helps me to face the challenges that are my everyday life. Please don't take this part of the forum to lash out at those who do not hold the same beliefs as you. We have a place here that for some of us is a place of peace to care and pray for each other as well as ask for prayer for ourselves when needed. What you might see as dogma some of us see as our truth, something that keeps us grounded in our day to day lives. be it as they are right now. My world is presently spinning and I have way too much to do to be sick right now, I have no choice but to push forward and deal with what I can and prayer helps me hold on and get thru all this. Peace!

14. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

God bless you, Karen.

15. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Very very well put Karen! :)

16. studio34

studio34 Guest

Hank,

>>> Religion and logic are not mutually exclusive ventures. Religion, supernatural logic, is an extension of man's natural logic.

There is nothing logical about religion and I would flatly disagree with you on this. There is no logic in a faith-based belief system lacking .... guess what? Here comes that word again – EVIDENCE. However, the human brain is wired for this type of thinking and so it appears to be a logical assessment when one has not learned to think critically. I would argue that in order for a person to believe in God and follow the beliefs of a religion, the person has to abandon logic to do so.

The you-just-have-to-have-faith thing was a brilliant move on the part of the authors of various religious books. It meant that they could write all sorts of bizarre stuff and not have to actually justify any of it, or even make it consistent. If something didn't make sense, they could just play the faith card. Religion and logic could co-exist if there actually was a known god. Since there is not a god (according to all of the evidence), religion cannot be understood in logical terms.

Barnyardbird said -- Is there any reason(s) why science,logic,reason and critical thinking isn't discussed here?

That would be great. Although I know this forum is dedicated to religious sorts of things and spirituality, I never know quite what is kosher in here. The thing is sometimes the discussions get into creation and the universe etc and that requires some science, logic and reason. But since Hank thinks religion is logical, I guess he at least agrees.

17. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

18. Perses

Perses Guest

19. Perses

Perses Guest

20. Perses

Perses Guest